Recent content by bubsterboo

1. B

pfsense hardware suggestion - Full 10G

I just picked up the HP T740 and put a Dual Mallenox CX-3 card in it. Installed pfsense. My 2.5gig fiber internet works at line rate just fine. I also get the full 2.5gig bandwidth running a wireguard VPN tunnel on the HP T740. Not sure how it would fair at 10gig, but success so far at 2.5gig...
  2. B

[WTB] 2x8GB or 2x16GB DDR4 ECC UDIMM (not registered!) 2666+ 288 pins RAM

I'm also looking for 2x16 or 2x32gb ddr4 ecc udimm for a ryzen based home server. Which module did you buy plidosir?
  3. B

10Gb networking question

The switch will route traffic between computers in the same subnet. Your 1gig router will only be used for DHCP for local traffic. Even if you have a more advanced setup with VLANs you can configure L3 managed switches to do L3 routing between subnets. Yes. You'll get 10gig between your devices.
  4. B

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I've have been able to use this dac passive sfp+ cable between a Mellanox CX3 and a ICX6450 without issues. When I did this I was using Ubuntu 20.04 and whatever its default drivers were.
  5. B

pikvm - An Open Source IP KVM project using the Raspberry Pi

For those curious about how its wired up: A cheap Aliexpress HDMI capture board connects to the Pi Camera port and provides the HDMI display. This cable loops back to the graphics card output outside the case. The PIs usb port provides power and Keyboard/Mouse/CDRom emulation. Its a custom...
  6. B

pikvm - An Open Source IP KVM project using the Raspberry Pi

Hey, I'm not the author of this project or affiliated with it in any way. I used this project in a recent home server build and am super impressed with it so I thought I'd spread the word. https://pikvm.org/ I was looking to build a home server. Decided I wanted a tower ATX. I wanted to go...
  7. B

WTB: Dual port SFP+ 10gig card

Awesome I'll grab one on ebay. /Thread closed.
  8. B

Yup... Thank you. That's what I need. I guess that's the end of the thread... Has anyone used one of these for PFsense out of curiosity? Does it work in pfsense out of the box?
  9. B

Hello, I'm relatively new to the SFP+ fiber world. I have been using ebay bought mallanox connectx-3 cards with success. They don't seem to care what modules ive used which is great. I need a similar card with dual SFP+ ports. What's the current best bang for the buck dual SFP+ PCI 3.0 card...
  10. B

Canada SOLD: GA-7PESH2 Desktop Workstation

Sold this workstation locally. Thanks!
  11. B

I don't mean to be a debby downer or anything. But.. That guide isn't exactly for a simple network setup. It's not the most complicated. It's not impossible. But it isn't simple either. It will require a lot of reading and some patience to get working properly. Likewise you will need a bit of...
  12. B

Unless you need to get into vlans or any kind of more advanced configuration then there's really not much special to it. Follow the guide from the OP to get your switch in a good default state. Plug the LAN side of your pfsense into any port on the switch and that's really it! Ofcourse there's a...
  13. B

Canada SOLD: GA-7PESH2 Desktop Workstation

It's still available. I'm afraid I'm not super keen on parting it out.
  14. B

That's a cool feature. I gave it a spin on my 6450 but it doens't seem very accurate in my case. SSH@switch#show cable-diagnostics tdr 1/1/19 PortSpeedLocal pairPair LengthRemote pairPair status ---------------------------------------------------- 1/1/19 UNKWNPair A <=3 M Open...
  15. B

I've been using the HiFibre module for a couple months now without issues. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XQBFHNL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1