Recent content by briancl

1. B

Feedback from Dell on the C6100.

My service tag shows up as not found, so I guess my C6100 Chassis is a DCS model. Is there any way to know if my nodes are DCS, too? The reason I ask is that I already upgraded the BIOS on 2 nodes without any problems, but I'm currently 1 rev behind. For now, I will hold off on any more...
  2. B

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Anyone play around with the command line tools for managing bios settings, BMC? Dell PowerEdge C Server | System Management http://www.poweredgec.com/files/Best_Practices_for_System_Management_in_the_Hyperscale_Cloud.pdf http://www.poweredgec.com/files/PowerEdge_C_System_Management.pptx
  3. B

Taming the C6100

I went with San Ace 9GV0812P1M031 Sanyo Denki Distributor | Mouser. I initially tried the 9GV0812P1H031 but these were too loud for me. The M031 seems to do the job just fine. I have all 12 drive slots populated and 2 nodes running 24x7 (other 2 nodes are empty). Ambient is 24C and the...
  4. B

Taming the C6100

So I think I figured out the pinout from looking at data sheets. However, it turns out the fans that came with my C6100 are quieter than the 9GV0812P1H031 San Ace 80 fan's I bought. According to the datasheet the original fan is 65 db and the San Ace 80 is 63 db, but the San Ace 80 has a very...
  5. B

Taming the C6100

What pinout did you follow? It's not clear to me, and the cable colors are different. The San Ace 80 fan is Red, Black, Yellow, Brown, and the C6100 fan is Black, Red, Green, Blue
  6. B

Taming the C6100

I bought the San Ace 80 9GV0812P1H031 from Mouser, and I'm trying to figure out how to terminate the new fans. I'm considering cutting the terminated connector off of the original fan and split that one. I need to extend the wire on the new fans anyway, so I could cut the old wire with 6" or...
  7. B

Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Firmware Updated

I upgraded the BIOS to 1.70 and BMC to 1.30 as these were the latest available when I went to do an upgrade a few days ago. I used a bootable DOS usb drive, ran with no problems on my 2 nodes. No issues to report after the update.
  8. B

This is tremendously helpful Tsmooth. Pretty simple and definitely economical. I've ordered the 1m cables and will report back. I'm actually going to attempt to wire 10 drives to Node 1 and 2 drives to Node 2. We'll see what it takes.
  9. B

What is a simple and cheap way to attach 10 total drives to a single node? I have 10 open drive slots in my C6100 and an M1015 I could use, but the cabling is a mystery to me. How do I hook up extra drives to the M1015? Can it be done? My alternatives: 1) Use the M1015 with an SFF-8087 to...
  10. B

Does anyone have a source for the cable set used to connect additional internal drives to a node with the LSI PCIe SAS card, e.g., M1015/LSI-9220-8i? The SAS Mezzanine card cable probably won't work.
  11. B

Great info. Thanks. I am looking at a rack like this: RACK6-20U-FR|20U 4-POST STEEL RACK, 31.5†DEPTH which says it is 26.5" internal frame. That gives it a little over 2 inches to extend a little to snap into the rack. Does that seem like it would work? Also, are there problems with PMs...
  12. B

So I have some questions about the included rails that the primary ebay sellers offer. Are these the real Dell rails Y3DX1? What is the minimum rack size (post to post) to use them? Do they fit on square holes?
  13. B

Basic C6100 deployment to consolidate home network

So 2 or 3 of these makes my existing architecture work? Dell Mellanox QDR VPI 2 Port 40GB s Daughter Card for Dell PowerEdge C6100 JR3P1 | eBay Also, looking at my original architecture, I need something to help me wire up the extra drives (beyond the first 6). I can't find an LSI 9202-16e...
  14. B

Hmm.. All great info. Thanks guys. dba, The SSD drive pool itself certainly will support enough IOPS, but what you're saying is that the network connection (dual GB) would limit the effective performance, i.e., my dozen or so VMs would be slow at times. Is it throughput or IOPS that the...
  15. B

I am building a home server to take on multiple tasks for my home network: network router/security, media storage (both archival and real-time DVR), system backups for about 15 systems, a number of VMs for various household services, and some work-related workspaces. Performance is important...