Recent content by Brandon_K

1. B

[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

I picked two more up. February 2018 build, just shy of 30,000 Power on hours. Running preclears on them now. Full data below for those interested. smartctl 7.1 2019-12-30 r5022 [x86_64-linux-5.10.28-Unraid] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-19, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke...
  2. B

[FS/FT] HPE DL80 G9 / Mobo-CPU combos / small drives / random bits

Faking the fan signal - Microserver Gen 8 - RESET Forums (homeservershow.com) This may be beneficial to you.
  3. B

As noted in the post, I have them and they're included. The optical is standard IDE interface. Floppy is a proprietary 4 pin (looks about like a JST XHP connector) to USB cable. Power is another JSP style to 4 pin molex connector. Both of those cables are included.
  4. B

The part numbers on the top sticker are "5214613" and "ERSI7141089" , but neither of those return any useful Google results. There is another part number, T0049301 which is actually a Gateway interface adapter. It adapts from the small high density connector on the back of the slim optical...
  5. B

Adding to the KB: Fun with Supermicro IPMI & pfsense

I spent quite a while here over the last 24 hours trying to figure out what was causing my brandy new pfsense build to drop it's WAN connection and go offline, unable to recover. I figured I'd drop a post that may help someone else from chasing their tail. My Supermicro board has 5x LAN ports...
  6. B

EMC KTN-STL3 15 bay chassis

Yup, no issues there. If you are using a chassis that you wouldn't use the internal port and you may potentially add another disk shelf down the line, you might want to consider a 9207-8e with two external ports.
  7. B

[WTB (US)] - Dell 65w \ 90w \ 130w power adapters

I picked up a few Optiplex Micro's in a bulk deal, but unfortunately no power adapters came with them. Ideally I'm looking for some 90w/ 130w units as some of these may get upgraded to 65w CPU's. I will need the smaller 4.5mm tip version. I have some of the 7.4mm > 4.5mm adapters, but it...
  8. B

EPYC Zen 1 Naples vs. intel Alder Lake i7-12700F for home server running usual stuff?

As I said, while the *physical* x16 ports may be there, they do not operate at the "physical speed" that you might be lead to believe. That motherboard is a perfect example, this is a straight copy and paste from the link you provided. Intel® 12th Gen Processors* 1 x PCIe 5.0/4.0/3.0 x16...
  9. B

EPYC Zen 1 Naples vs. intel Alder Lake i7-12700F for home server running usual stuff?

Keep in mind, as of right now the x6x0 chipset lineup (anything currently for LGA 1700) has trash for PCI-E expansion. I just ran in to this problem. You'll get one x16 slot, of either PCIe4.0 or 5.0 variety. Every other slot, regardless if it's physically a x16 slot, will be limited to PCIe...
  10. B

Cable labeling question

100% agreement with sko. If you're on a budget, the Brother E550W is a killer printer, mine has served me for many, many years. I didn't *need* to upgrade, but a year ago I ended up with a Brady BMP61 to do some process pipe labeling in our brewery. The consumables are EXPENSIVE though...
  11. B

Mellanox ConnectX-3 Showing wrong bus type

The card is only a x8 card, so yes, it's only going to report a x8 connection. It's not physically long enough to be a x16 card. PCIe2.0 x8 would give you 32gbps of bandwidth, so significantly more than a dual port 10gbe card would be able to push. The ConnectX3 is a PCIe3.0 card though, not 2.0.
  12. B

School me on PCI-E bus speeds, GT/s, etc (X520 question inside!)

I don't need to use both ports of the NIC, so it's not particularly bandwidth limited in the x4 slot. If I'm doing all of the math correctly, the NIC will end up with 16gbps, the M5110 will have a full 63gbps and the 9207 will end up with 7.88gbps. That 9207 connects to a DS2246, filled with...
  13. B

The online calc actually shows 5GT = 40GByte, which certainly didn't help my confusion.
  14. B

While laying out a new system, it's come to my realization that I don't have as much of an understanding on PCI-E bandwidth as I thought I did. I'm looking at a Z690 based motherboard to build a new machine off of. It has 1 x16 PCIe 5.0, 2 x16 PCIe 3.0 and 1 x1 PCIe 3.0 slots (the x1 is not...