Recent content by bookemdano

1. B

Flash OEM (IBM) Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN with stock firmware?

Thanks for the info all. I'm just dipping my toes in the water here, have a lot to learn. I was just given an older IBM ConnectX2 card and would like to flash it to the vanilla Mellanox fw. I tried to use ZMarty's post above as a guide just to get the original fw dumped, but ran into some snags...
  2. B

OS X: Can't access napp-it SMB shares from Finder sidebar

Awesome, that is just the info I needed. I even get the little Xserve icon :D Thank you once again gea! You are the best.
  3. B

Thanks gea. OK I wiped the VM and started from scratch this morning. I decided not to preserve any settings. I installed OmniOS 151018 from ISO, installed VMWare Tools, installed Napp-it 16.02f. I created my user "dan" and reimported my ZFS pools. I did not install AFP. SMB sharing is on. So...
  4. B

Thanks gea. I think you're right? I tried saving the login in my keychain and when I opened up keychain access the entry is listed as "afp://(hostname)._afpovertcp._tcp.local" So avahi is enabled on my server? Is that by default or is that something I did? Do I need it? I was hoping to avoid a...
  5. B

Hi Gea and others, I've had this problem ever since I first set up my All-in-one NAS (ESXi->OmniOS+napp-it) a few years ago. I have AFP turned off and only SMB on. The problem is I see the name of my napp-it server in the OS X Finder under "Shared". If I click on it it shows "Not Connected" in...
  6. B

New Business Server, RAID Opinions?

Huh... is the PWS-920-SQ different than the PWS-920P-1R? When I look at the test report for both models on SM's web site the pdf is identical (both show PWS-920P-SQ as the model number though): http://www.supermicro.com/products/powersupply/80PLUS/80PLUS_PWS-920P-1R.pdf...
  7. B

Current Best bang for buck 55XX or 56XX cpu ?..

That's what I like to hear britinpdx! Your posts have been totally re-assuring that I made the right decision in going with the X5650. Thanks a ton.
  8. B

Thanks mobilenvidia, depending on what kind of offer they would accept that could be a good deal for somebody. I already purchased the board for $250 and the 2x X5650 for $230. Not sure what 6x 2GB RDIMMs are worth these days, but I'd want minimum 4GB DIMMs at this stage (I mean part of the...
  9. B

Ditto, thanks everyone (and sorry RimBlock for butting in on your thread!) I ended up with 2x X5650 for $230 (minus about $18 in ebay bucks due to the 4x promo) so I am pretty happy with that. I may just install one of them for now and test out a UP configuration for a while, see what my idle...
  10. B

Actually, looks like ESISO dropped prices a bit. They're the same as MET @ $130 OBO for a single X5650 and down to $254 for 2 Come on price war!! :)
  11. B

Thanks for the replies, all. Good thoughts for me to chew on. PigLover from what I've seen from googling, ESXi itself is NUMA-aware, so wouldn't it be able to handle getting everything routed efficiently? Or I guess if not then I could overcome any issues by just using CPU Affinity and only...
  12. B

Sorry yeah should have stated. It's going to be my home server... replacing a Xeon X3440 16GB (maxxed out) setup... just really want something that will last me a while and has a lot of expansion, but something previous gen so it won't break the bank. So I picked up the Supermicro X8DTH-6F for...
  13. B

Hi guys, sadly I missed the L5639 heyday--Their price has more than doubled from its apparent low a few months ago. Sucks to be me! So I'm trying to decide between a pair of: L5630 (cheapest yet slowest but also low TDP) L5640 (only advantage I can see is low-ish 60W TDP) X5650 (seems to...
  14. B

Dell SAS 6 IR Integrated -> LSI SAS3081E-R IR Firmware NVRAM issue

Yes I did. It's been a while and the details are a little fuzzy but I believe I used sasflash to erase the card (you can only do it from DOS I believe). Check the docs for sasflash--I can't remember the exact switch I used, but the gist is that it puts the card in manufacturing mode, at which...
  15. B

Dell SAS 6 IR Integrated -> LSI SAS3081E-R IR Firmware NVRAM issue

Hi all, I always seem to go against the grain, and this looks to be yet another instance. I've read lots of posts about people wanting to flash IT firmware to their 1068e-based IR controllers, and I understand why. My situation's a little different though. I've got a Dell Precision T7500...