Recent content by bmacklin

1. B

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

Something like these: intel x79 motherboard | eBay
  2. B

Cheap chinese x79 mobos

Anyone have any hands-on experience with these OEM motherboard with x79 chipset on eBay? I like that they support registered memory which I have some lying around and are cheaper to buy. I also like that they come in M-ATX form factor for a smaller build. The only question is longevity and...
  3. B

SuperMicro socket repair?

Who caused the damage? Seller or you?
  4. B

Bad read performance over 10Gbe

What's your set up? Windows to Linux as well? Are you getting bad read performance but good write performance?
  5. B

Bad read performance over 10Gbe

I got two computers directly attached via 540-T2 10GBe cards. One is a dual E5-2670 workstation running windows 10. The other is the NAS with E3-1265v3 and 24 GB Ram. The disks in the NAS are 4x4Tb WD, and 4x4Tb Seagate. I have it configured as Raidz50 - striped raidz pool. I am running samba...
  6. B

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

does the P4308XXMFGN chasis hold standard SSI EEB boards? 12"x13"? Does it come with standard ATX power supplies or something else?
  7. B

Up to $73 now. Should have bought more when it was at $63. Been following the stock market and I swear they are strongly correlated. It collapsed below $100 when stocks took a dive and now they have rebounded, so have the prices.
  8. B

Dual Prot Mellanox Connect x3 SFP+ for 60$

I got two. Will be trying it out as well. Exciting! First time using NICs that aren't RJ-45s! So how long can the passive twinax cables go?
  9. B

Not sure really. Mostly because it's familiar compared to Cat5, etc. Half height is kind of killing it for me. I don't have a rack yet.
  10. B

geez. And I had just bought a x540-t2 today. For some reason I thought SFP+ cables are like $100+. Two of these cards and cables will still be less than what I paid for the x540-t2. Besides cost, any reason to choose one over the other?
  11. B

will these cables work with the cards: NEW Cisco Copper 10GigE SPF+ Mellanox ConectX-2 1m 3.3ft Direct Attach Cable 10G
  12. B

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing it wrong or anything. Good stuff!
  13. B

Interesting the way you populated your dimms. Shouldn't you be using all blues or all blacks first so you can get the most bandwidth (quad channel across 2 cpus)? BTW, what kind of RAM are those? They look nice. ECC REG?
  14. B

Which cooler are you using?
  15. B

Another "Too good to be true?" OEM e5-2670v3 @ $262

Please report back when you get one @frogtech !