Recent content by blood

1. B

Xeon D-2187NT - any systems out there

I have access to some Dell VEP4600s that have 2187nt procs and they are very solid chips indeed. The integrated QAT is very nice with the right software to drive them, and pretty important that it's integrated into the SoC of this platform because it doesn't offer any PCIe expansion (they do...
  2. B

Odroid H2 Proxmox host

Ouch, that does look bad. I definitely don't have that problem; with hardware transcoding things look effectively indistinguishable from software. For what it's worth, my media collection is all blurays and dvds - I recall reading about issues with 4k transcoding, but I don't own any of that...
  3. B

$22.8 ECC Unbuffered Kingston 8GB PC3-12800E 1.5v

I picked up 4 of these because they were so cheap and just got them today. I tossed them into an X10SLM+-LN4F system and it detected it all and booted just fine. This weekend I'll probably swap it over to my filer that's an X9SCM as the memory has been interchangeable between the two so far...
  4. B

Odroid H2 Proxmox host

Sorry for the belated reply to this... I should have taken better notes of this when I did it originally, but looking at the current setup, here's the things I can recall having to do: First, make sure that the right devices exist. In the host, I have this: root@h2:~# ls -l /dev/dri/ total 0...
  5. B

Aruba MAS series SFP+ & POE+ switches sub-$100

I went ahead and ordered one of the modules from Ubiquiti. Once I made sure I had CAT6 or better from end to end, I was able to get a link up between my s2500 and an Intel X540-AT2 in another room - so a CAT6 patch from the switch to the patch panel, CAT6 in the walls about 20m and then another...
  6. B

This is fantastic to hear - especially because that's the most modestly priced 10GBASE-T SFP+ module I have found. Any chance you could blast it with some bits using iperf3 (or whatever) to see whether it's stable? I believe the issue with these copper modules is that they need more power than...
  7. B

Ring network with dual port network cards without a switch

Why not simplify this by taking it down to layer 2 and just use bridges to "switch" the packets between systems? It sounds like you'll have nice NICs, so something like Open vSwitch compiled with the right DPDK support could give you pretty fast switching (for software) with one flat L2 and a...
  8. B

Maybe my lab is noisy enough that I can't appreciate the sound coming from my new S2500, but once it settles in it's quiet enough that I'm happy with the stock fans. Don't get me wrong, it roars for a few minutes while booting, but that doesn't last. I just wish I had ears for it! I swapped out...
  9. B

Maybe I should move this to the networking forum, but I'm going to ask here anyways. Has anyone had any luck getting the 10g ports on these to work with DACs? I have a handful that I've been using with some Netgear switches and they work fine there, but I don't get link when I plug them into my...
  10. B

Dell X1052 Review a 48x 1GbE and 4x 10GbE Web Managed Switch

Page 2 of this mentions you would comment on the sound levels - but then you don't. Could you provide any detail on this? Does it just have the two fans in the rear? What does the noise compare to for average/idle use?
  11. B

Odroid H2 Proxmox host

I could have sworn that I was able to connect to a console over the first serial port a few days ago, but as of now I don't get anything - and I tried all sorts of things to get it working. I can see "agetty" listening on ttyS0, and I have a 3.3v FTDI USB serial adapter connected to the pins for...
  12. B

Odroid H2 Proxmox host

Really? I've never been able to get it working before, having tried on a handful of systems over the years. I've always just changed to legacy booting, but I couldn't here. I've googled around for this before and ran into solutions involving rEFInd and such but mostly people just saying to use...
  13. B

Odroid H2 Proxmox host

I received an Odroid H2 system last week and have it stood up with Proxmox on it. I bought this system so that I could consolidate some virtualization functions onto it with the intent of powering down a few other systems that consume more power. One big thing I wanted to get was hardware...
  14. B

Netgear GS752TX-100NES 48x1GbE 4x10GbE Switch

Yeah, I've looked at that switch and the only thing keeping me from picking one up is that I need more than 24 ports. I've got 24 drops coming in from around the house, most of which have something plugged into them - though no real data flowing over it generally (the most is when someone...
  15. B

Netgear GS752TX-100NES 48x1GbE 4x10GbE Switch

I'm always interested in the people's personal experience with noise and power. I get that it has a couple of fans and so won't be silent in all cases, but is this the type of switch that runs hard for a few seconds when it turns on and then calms down once it realizes that it's not on fire? I...