Recent content by bilson

1. B

Updating the HGST HDD & SSD firmware

I used hugo 7.4.5 from the Truenas resource page linked earlier in the thread (it has the steps to install it as well). This was done on an older intel socket 1155 board that I use as a test station running ubuntu 22.04, which I find is good about telling you what to run if you don't have a...
  2. B

Fixed! It was the oem drive firmware doing it somehow. Retried the firmware update via hugo, this time on linux and what could have been the reason it failed to do so on windows: switched the sata port mode of my testbed system to sata (somehow I must have set it to ide mode some time prior and...
  3. B

Yes, I tried tape too. Works on mobo sata but not on LSI.
  4. B

I got two of these as well. Same model and firmware version. Tried to put the generic firmware linked in site above via hugo under windows: no go. Drives work ok in motherboard sata port but they refuse to spin up in a flashed IBM 5110 (flashed to lsi sas2308 following that lazymocha blog post)...
  5. B

800GB Lenovo (Micron) SSD $29 with free shipping

That's the one thing bringing down prices of the used gear I guess. Too bad we cannot get more affordable Xeon Ds
  6. B

The two I got both have around 50K hours, but vastly different write amounts and firmware still reports 100% life. I figured one must have been a spare drive. The other likely only had large files written to it since the algo still reports full health after a petabyte written...
  7. B

How bad were the numbers? I can think of use case for those if it's not terrible.
  8. B

In my case, both HD sentinel and HWInfo showed 100% health.
  9. B

Curious, what's your total written show at 90%. I got two drives: one has almost nothing written, the other one about a petabyte. Both show 100% health. Drive firmware seems to be pretty generous with estimation or it only got really large files written to it maybe....
  10. B

Storage deals

I got two of the M500DC, seems like a good deal at $29. Both report as 100% but the Total host written is widely different. How is it possible for the drive with heavy writes to still be 100%. Looking at the specs, the 800gb model is rated at 1.9PB. Wouldn't those numbers add up to a little over...
  11. B

Samsung PM983a M.2 22110 SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 1.88TB - open box - $125 OBO + free ship

While trying to talk myself out of buying at $125 (price for one) someone bought them :) I find myself often overbuying because it's a good deal and then not using the item to it's fullest. Considering that prices for ssd are on a downward trend maybe it's a good thing I didn't.
  12. B

SanDisk CloudSpeed Eco 1.92TB 2.5" SATA $120

Unfortunately, always a risk with used parts. I've only had one issue with an enterprise samsung that performed at much lower level than benchmarks suggested but seller took it back no questions asked. I've had no issues with drives I've bought new, at least not in the first year of service -...
  13. B

That is true, I missed the sandisk has 0.6. I guess it will depend on your use case then. I don't have write heavy usage so for me it didn't matter, but I can see the value for others.
  14. B

Only serious advantage can be capacitor protection for power fail. And even with capacitor protection, if it's data you care about you back it up. No question about that. At the same price, I would take the brand new drive with warranty without question. Also Crucial is one of the top vendors...
  15. B

Amazon has Crucial MX500 2TB for $106 before taxes as part of their early sales. Brand new drive and if I remember correctly crucial provides 5 years warranty. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003J5JB12/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1