Recent content by BigJim

1. B

Does anyone familiar with HP LTO-4 tape drives?

No, I said I don't think the topology is an issue. I've never had problems running library drives outside libraries as stand-alones, but maybe I've just been lucky. And I haven't tried it for a while so perhaps manufacturers are deliberately crippling them now. Good luck with the write switch :-)
  2. B

Cheap 10GBE FCoE networking + FC interconnect switch?

Thanks, that's a very kind offer. But I am in the UK, so I imagine the shipping would cost more than I can purchase them here locally. Do your 6248s have the N10-E0060 FC modules in them? Have you ever pulled a 6248 or 6296 apart? They look ENORMOUS for what they do.
  3. B

Thanks for the reply. I want to talk to fiber-attached tape drives over the 10GBE network using FCoE, so - in addition to having FCoE capability - unless I'm mistaken the switch also needs to "unbundle" the fiber frames out of the Ethernet frames and then transmit/receive them on their own...
  4. B

You could well be right :) But if anyone know different, please give us your input.
  5. B

Does anyone familiar with HP LTO-4 tape drives?

The POST failure is concerning, but can occur for any number of reasons, for instance not finding a library. I doubt the link speed or topology is an issue, as the driver appears to be communicating with the drive without any issues. The log appears to be backwards(!), so you need to read it...
  6. B

OK, I've done some more research. Seems I need a fabric interconnect switch that also has 10GBE and FCOE. Second hand switches on eBay aren't too bad https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMC-MP-8000B-32-Active-Ports-24x-10G-8x-8G-San-Switch/193413954468...
  7. B

I'd like to experiment with 10GB ethernet file and FCoE over DAC, and having a couple of fiber-channel tape drives on the same network. It seems I need Converged Network Architecture (CNA) host adapters on my workstations and file server, and getting hold of these is straightforward (QLOGIC...