Recent content by bigfellasdad

1. B

HP Z640 Headless Boot??

does your cpu have igpu? if it does check your bios to enable it, if not...... you need your gpu its always going to be power hungry even without a gpu though
  2. B

Proxmox homelab advice requested - low power usage, mid performance - Which TinyMiniMicro?

Ive got a few Lenovo's i no longer use, the best ive found is the M920q, this with 32gb of ram (can add another32gb stick) was plenty for my use. With a 6 core / 6 thread i5-9500t, 256gb m.2 nvme and a 2tb sandisk ssd, 1x1gb nic (vpro) and an additional m.2 based 2.5gb nic it idles at 5w with...
  3. B

Recommended drives for basic proxmox setup

Is this just for home use? do you envisage your VMs/LXD's etc needing huge I/O? What is your network performance etc? Its no use imho to go huge on storage performance if not needed or network bottlenecked, a slow 5400 hdd can flood a 1gig network!! For my home use, which includes a couple...
  4. B

Help finding a cheap Tiny PC with 2.5Gbe and 2x m.2

Ive got a few M920q and M910q's, this is what ive done on mine...although it doesnt meet your requirements in full. (1) Some bargains to be had, if patient. (2) my micro servers run from i5-6500t through to i5-9500t, i think the 6th gen cpu is a little slow now but im happy with the rest...
  5. B

Ideas needed for a Low Power system around DDR4 ECC RDIMM

For interest my gen9 ml150 with a single 10c e5 and 128gb lrdimm consumes 50 watt at idle. But that's with b150i sas controller and ilo module with a couple of ssd only
  6. B

build: Cheap Fujitsu TX1330 M1 low power (25 watt idle) Truenas box

Nice :) qq, why use the sas.card at all with sata drives? I've found the quest for eco home builds is they start getting expensive, so well done. What c-state can you achieve, swapping out some older hw can really improve things, looking at that sas card ;)
  7. B

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

If you find an os that could run off a pair of mirrored usb sticks, no swap and remote logging, you could use 3 nvme with the shucked sata ssd. Teany tiny nas :)
  8. B

Ok, then you can get some tiny boxes with 2xNVME slots, you can get dual pcie NVME boards, you could shuck your 8tb SATA SSD. I think you would struggle to squeeze in the SSD and keeping it safe electronically. The mini PCIe slot is tiny, can you get an nvme that small or indeed, if you can...
  9. B

If it was me I'd be looking into a decent SFF machine with that amount of storage. You have more space and cooling and importantly pcie slots. With fast storage and only a 1gig nic is wasteful I think. Go for a gen8 or newer i3 or better if it was me, it will be low power but far more suited...
  10. B

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

One of the benefits of living on the uk, m920q running proxmox, 3 VMs (openwrt, centos8-1 ldap client test box and Ping Directory LDAP VM) and 4 lxc's (mysql, ansible server, nginx server, mysql and zabbix servers ), 2tb SSD, 1tb NVME, 64gb RAM, 1x 2.5gbe usb nic and i5-8500T root@central:~#...
  11. B

[tiny pc] m.2 pcie addon 2.5gbe nic

The seller has passed on my request to the manufacturer.
  12. B

I used to have a smart plug that I could power on/off with alexa for my 'occational use' bits of my home lab. I know its not 'techy', but more of a KISS thing ;)
  13. B

openwrt and proxmox see it out of the box, esxi7 see's it with the fling add-on. All good :) I always as a matter of course create a vmbr for all nics under proxmox and I dont see any performance hit in doing so, i realise there is no benefit for a WAN interface..
  14. B

[tiny pc] m.2 pcie addon 2.5gbe nic Check that post
  15. B

You are going to need enterprise grade then. I've got an unused ml150gen9 that would suit you.