Recent content by big dog

1. B

WD - easystore 8TB - WDBCKA0080HBK-NESN

I was going to get one online, but then they said they had them in stock at my local store - sweet!
  2. B

ADATA 120GB m.2 2242 SSD (SATA)

Here are the performance numbers from the Kingspec listing: Capacity 60GB/120GB/240GB Sustained Read (For reference only) 380~500MB/s | 410~520MB/s | 420~490MB/s Sustained Write (For reference only) 70~165MB/s | 110~200MB/s | 115~190MB/s I suspect these are legit, since the write...
  3. B

ADATA 120GB m.2 2242 SSD (SATA)

I saw these same 120 GB NGFF drives for $36.65 on the Kingspec official store on Aliexpress: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com No published write endurance TBW numbers, but they do say on their listing that the NAND is 3D MLC. I was thinking of getting some as boot...
  4. B

PCIe Risers

The received wisdom in GPU computing is that you need 16 PCIe lanes per GPU, and the debate is generally x16 vs. x8, never mind x16 vs. x1, but actual benchmarks (e.g. PCIe X16 vs X8 for GPUs when running cuDNN and Caffe) indicate that using a mining rig for deep learning could be within reason...
  5. B

NVIDIA Turing

Agreed. Here is the original source and it's all speculation: Nvidia may reveal dedicated ‘Turing’ cryptocurrency mining cards in March
  6. B

Micron 1100 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-inch $379

Ah, right. It seems odd that they gave the same TBW for both the 1TB and 2TB models, instead of doubling it. TLC NAND is pretty terrible.
  7. B

Micron 1100 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-inch $379

It's worse than that. You could do 2 DWPD for 30 days, and then return it within the window.
  8. B

Today only: ASUS Z10PC-D8 dual Xeon E5 MB w/dual SFP+ for $199

I received my three MBs yesterday. Yes, the IKVM board was installed. Yes, very cool!! I think any new motherboard I buy from now on must have onboard 10Gbe ports, ha ha. Anyway I have three new Asus LGA 2011-3 boards and no Xeons, and no prospects for getting any soon. Someone else...
  9. B

Thanks a lot Marsh. especially the feedback on the QEYX performance. I think I will go with Ebay now. I went ahead and cancelled my Aliexpress order. (Now in state "Awaiting Cancellation", presumably because everyone is at Spring Festival and there's no one in the office updating orders.) I am...
  10. B

It's funny that Newegg had their "special deal", including the purchase limit of three, but then dropped the price even more and removed the purchase limit. It stands to reason that the boards weren't moving fast enough for them. But then, within hours, they are completely sold out. I can't...
  11. B

I'll be using Ceph, and these Asus MBs are pretty close to their ideal OSD node configuration: Hardware Recommendations — Ceph Documentation It really depends on what you are doing. For throughput-optimized storage, the network will usually be the bottleneck. For raw IOPs, the CPUs can...
  12. B

Here it is, the last photo on the left. Look at the top line. They were using an Asus Z10PA-D8. 32 Haswell-EP threads for $200 plus 2x$116 plus RAM. I hope my karma is good enough for this to work.
  13. B

So they are! I updated the OP with the new price. I don't know how to update the thread title.
  14. B

My use case is for a Ceph cold-storage pool, with maybe an SSD read cache layer of some sort. RAM is so expensive now, that 8 DIMMSs per MB seems like plenty. My next dream would be to put an Intel 900P in each one for a write cache, but that will definitely have to wait.
  15. B

Edit 3: Out of stock. ... Edit 2: These are now $185.40 each plus $8.21 shipping, and no purchase limit. ... Sorry for the late post. This one is good for about six more hours: ASUS Z10PC-D8/10G-2S(ASMB8-IKVM) Optimize for Big Data - Newegg.com It's $299 with a $100 instant rebate promo code...