Recent content by Bernhard Neuhauser

1. B

Intel Xeon D-1537 Benchmarks – 35W TDP 8C / 16 Thread SoC

I wonder if there are xeon-d 1600 solutions upcoming as a potential successor of the mentioned xeon-d 1537.
  2. B

Mellanox 354A Pro $40

Seems to be HPE branded: SKU: 764284-b21 HPE InfiniBand FDR/Ethernet 10Gb/40Gb 2-port 544+QSFP Adapter (764284-B21) - Produkt Dokumentation As such, there seems to be some effort involved in order to flash them...
  3. B

Xeon CPU damaged in transit - can it be saved?

I would simply grab some q tips and iso alcohol to clean it carefully. Should be possible to remove most, if not all of the toner. Chances are high that it is still okay. But to be honest: If you bought the cpu for a small company, i would send it back to get a new one. Think about long term...
  4. B

Xeon e-2100 availability?

Seems like cpu's are showing in europe again: E-2176g for 428€ at mindfactory.de Now i just hope that the Supermicro X11SCA-F also starts getting available at common shops. Price wise, i think that both components are still far higher than they should be.
  5. B

Core i7 coffee lake home server - or better skylake xeon?

The practical benefit is: it saves lots of you time on troubleshooting if one of your memory modules is starting to fail.
  6. B

Xeon E - Supermicro Boards Appearing - Release Date?

Found one german article that "thinks" that the Xeon E-2198G will be the equivalent of the upcoming i9-9900K: Server-CPUs: Intels Xeon E-2100 starten mit sechs Kernen - Golem.de But, i am unable to find any rumors on the release date.
  7. B

Is there a single CPU config that is better than a dual E5-2690v2

There is just this small issue: such bigger ECC modules are currently not available. The problem is, that the TR plattform supports only UDIMMs. Bigger modules are (L)RDIMM. I doubt that waiting till bigger UDIMMs are produced would be a reasonable option. As such: yes, in theory a TR could use...
  8. B

Any evidence to back this claim? Most likeley 1950X is only slightly ahead. Hard to justify as an upgrade if it will not improve his current rig. Regarding reasonable pricing: His current setup was once at 2x $2000. As such, the proposed CPUs are in a reasonable price range. If its a homelab...
  9. B

Say thanks to intels marketing. It is astonishing hard to figure out the purpose of all different CPU lines. It is also hard to figure out which model is a successor of another model.
  10. B

If single core is key: Xeon W-2155. It is probably +33% faster per core than your CPU. But it has also 10*2 cores as one of yours. As such: maybe Xeon W-2195, which has still faster single core performance but 18*2 cores?. It will be a tough task to find a competing cpu to the Xeon W Serie. The...
  11. B

Xeon E - Supermicro Boards Appearing - Release Date?

It took them roughly 9 month in between releasing the i7-8700k and releasing the Xeon E-21xx serie. No idea if its a good idea to use this delay time for predicting the release of an upcoming 8 core Xeon E.
  12. B

Supermicro X11SCA X11SCA-W and X11SCA-F for Xeon E-2100 Workstations

Seems like availability is really a problem. Not longer listed in europeans shops.
  13. B

Workstation Build

Usually it would go like: reliability first (ECC, up to 512GB RAM, IPMI): C422 + Xeon W 21xx performance first, cheaper (non-ECC, max 128GB RAM, no IPMI): X299 + i9-79xx This is also the reason, why they say that the C422 board is made for Xeons. You will lose the ability to use ECC RAM and...
  14. B

Supermicro X11SCA X11SCA-W and X11SCA-F for Xeon E-2100 Workstations

Do you think that the X11SCA-F is reasonable to be used as win10 desktop? Rationale: in case of an upgrade in some years, this could be repurposed as server. It seems to be the only solid option when it comes to C246 boards with IPMI. Additionally the Xeon E-2176g is really competitive to a...