Recent content by bekax

1. B

Beware of EMC switches sold as Mellanox SX6XXX on eBay

Hello everyone. I'm starting to play with a original SX6012 to manage a small cluster. Something I didn't yet understand is how to enable the full capabilities of the switch. I used genlicense however it looks like it only gave me "RESTRICTED_CMDS_GEN2" which I'm pretty sure I won't use for...
  2. B

4x NVMe HBA with backplane for ESXi

Some of the sales I've seen report the 8-port Ceacent card to have 12Gbps connection (for each SSD). However LinkReal has more details regarding the specs, and appears to be fully compatible with 32Gbps SSDs.. But both of them use the same chips.. Are these chips really PCIe x4 for each port ...
  3. B

That is super interesting. I will for sure order one of the 8port cards for my server and test with 4 nvme. I guess soon (1 year?) we will start to see the large companies offering these..
  4. B

Well it's very strange because the retimer/redriver versions do in fact specify VMWare support.. Switched HBAs don't..
  5. B

You raise a good point. But isn't that just for allowing multiple NVMe with bifurcation ? Imagine I am using 4 drives with 8x8 bifurcation how will the server know there are 2 nvme drives in each x8 lane ? I may be wrong, but I think Retimer/Redriver don't have any PCIe switch.. According to...
  6. B

Hello everyone. I'm trying to upgrade my HPE ML30 Gen10 with a couple NVMe drives. I really liked the IcyDock MB699VP-B and MB720M2K-B so that is the plan for the backplane. The issue is that this server will only support 8x8 bifurcation and not 4x4x4x4 (I believe that's also a limitation of...
  7. B

Supermicro AOC-SLG3-8E2P Octaport NVMe HBA

@Ouroboros I'm also curious as to whether it works with those "legacy" cables ? I'm planning to use the M.2 IcyDock MB720M2K-B with either an AOC-SLG3-4E4T or AOC-SLG3-8E2P, depending on whether HPE fixes the ML30 Gen10 server lack of quadfurcation in the BIOS (only bifurcation appears, not...
  8. B

Infiniband Switch (SX6012) - Boot issue ?

Not even trying... :( So yea, I guess it's return time. Thanks all for the help anyway.
  9. B

Well, I have access to the U-Boot. Just not sure if there's a default password for booting over USB or U-Boot prompt? Only not able to access the MLNX-OS due to the mentioned corruption and errors.
  10. B

I'm going to try and make sure the support applies to this. If not, I will return it...
  11. B

I got it from an eBay seller. From really cheap let's just say its between 0.5 and 1k. And the support contract is a bit over 0.6k. I guess that even for the firmware upgrade I would need the command prompt password. It's really sad that one can only reset the admin password with the reset...
  12. B

Let's say I got it really cheap but it should still be working =/ I complained to the seller but since it's an international I'm already loosing money from customs and such. I logged in to the link, but I get an: "This place or content does not exist or access to it is restricted. If you think...
  13. B

It appears that 15s press on reset button only resets the admin password, and not that command prompt password. Perhaps its something for mellanox access, and not for end user. I cannot access that. Even with account... I'm tempted to spend on a 1 year support license so that I can have the...
  14. B

It looks like the console is working OK. When I choose boot options I get this: Mellanox MLNX-OS Boot Menu: * 1: SX_PPC_M460EX SX_3.4.0012 2014-12-15 23:27:42 ppc 2: SX_PPC_M460EX SX_3.4.0012 2014-12-15 23:27:42 ppc u: USB menu (if USB device connected) (password required) c: Command...
  15. B

I tried Ctrl+B but nothing happened. Its as if putty didn't send anything. The same when I give admin and press enter. Looks like the username isn't sent. As to the webgui, it looks like the management interface doesn't really try to connect to the network. Nothing is asked to the DHCP, and no...