Recent content by avsion

1. A

SAS3 Backplaine and HBA Upgrade

Thank you its called the AU Python CM :D
  2. A

Hi Guys, Just an update, i end up getting the LSI 9305 - 24i HBA with 6 SM mini SAS to SATA cables, using my TQ backplane. replaces 2 of the PWS-902-1R with PWS-920p-SQ. got 10 x 2.5" tray for the ssd's. replaced all stock fans inc fan chassis (custom made fan support) with noctua 3 120mm for...
  3. A

yes if i have one out of the six VMs is down is better then all 6 down
  4. A

Supermicro SC846 rail kit part # ?

Hi Guys, just an update i have contacted our SM distributor and they confirm my CS846 is a chassis revision J and rail P/N is MCP-290-00014-00 i will check once i get the rails. if you don't hear from me it means all good and happy :) Thank for your assistance
  5. A

@i386 OK will try to explain bit different Direct connection = Option 1 & 3 Expender = Option 2 Point of Failure = Cable, ports on the BPN, Port on the HBA Link - Connection between the HBA and the backplane Option 2 in my OP has one link between the two devices, option 1 and 3 has total 6...
  6. A

Thank you for the detail information. regarding the sideband i have 6 molex connectors coming from the PWS and connected to the TQ BPN is that the individual sideband you referring to? i also saw SFF-8087 to SAS/SATA With Sideband Cable see below link, can i use this type of cable instead of the...
  7. A

i just realised there is an option 3 use my existing BPN-SAS-846TQ REV 3.1 that came with the CS846 Chassis, its a direct attached BPN with 24 dedicated SATA ports. i can use it with HBA - LSI 9305-24i + 6 x mini SAS HD cables to 4 x SATA. if SATA supports 12Gbps i can get full SAS3 bandwidth...
  8. A

@BLinux agree, i'm planing to use both HDD for my storage pool and SSD for VMs running applications like BIND DNS server, UniFi controller Linux Distro..etc. as SSD is expensive for storage i don't see the value in investing as storage in the near future, but diffidently for the VMs. as describe...
  9. A

@BLinux Interesting good to know, if speed is no issue the 846A is a better solution then the EL1 as i have 6 uplinks (4 drive each) compare to the EL1 1 uplink for 24 drives. correct? however its much more expensive $700 for 9305 i24 HBA
  10. A

Thank it was a typo fixed. regarding connecting 2 cables for faster speed, i have read the SM EL1 PDF and the second port on the EL1 is only for expansion to other backplane, can you confirm that? Thank you
  11. A

Thank you @i386 for your reply, i meant the other way around that i will not get 12Gbps if i use 6Gbps backplane, correct?
  12. A

Hi Guys, It's time to upgrade my FN, i have Purchased a used SM CS846 Chassis that came with SAS846TQ backplane. at the moment i'm using Avago/Broadcom SAS3 9300-i8 HBA that connects straight to my 4TB x 8 HDD and have 6 x SSD plugged directly to the SATA ports on the X10SRi-F MOBO, see full...
  13. A

thanks @Rand__ will that be Supermicro old style rail MCP-290-00057-0N Rackkit ? see below ebay link Supermicro MCP-290-00057-0N Rackkit rail - MCP-290-00057-0N Rack Mount rails as well i read that the chassis model number is based on the backplane and the PWS model, pointing to chassis model...
  14. A

i found as well someone from AU that sales the MCP-290-00058-0N, this ones looks like for a different version, correct? see link below Supermicro MCP-290-00058-0N Short Rail Set
  15. A

Yes i have sent an email to the seller to confirm my measurements and if its include the outer rails. will update once i hear from them, thank you