Recent content by AveryFreeman

1. AveryFreeman

Proper torque for Epyc 7551P in Supermicro H11SSL-I; what about heatsink?

So a little under 1.5nm is OK? Is less better than more? (that's what it sounds like) This is helpful advice, thanks. Is it just me, or does the Epyc use a lot less thermal paste than most Intel CPUs? So the dude had the board powered on and he was screwing with the processor? No...
  2. AveryFreeman

Proper torque for Epyc 7551P in Supermicro H11SSL-I; what about heatsink?

Hi, So I've been having a hard time getting my first Epyc board to post. I don't have the proper torque wrench provided with the new AMD processors, so I was "winging it" with a regular torx screwdriver. I was planning to go grab a precision torque screwdriver from a local hardware store so...
  3. AveryFreeman

Supermicro X10SRL-F

You're right, it sold for $250.
  4. AveryFreeman

Does Supermicro H11SSL-I have a built-in speaker? Shouldn't it beep during startup?

Well, I have both RDIMMs and LRDIMMs. I have tried both. I can try another brand RDIMM. All 3 sets of (L)RDIMMs were working pulls from my SM X10SRL-F boards, 2Rx4 @ 2133MHz. But the question is, if the CPU isn't working, why would it even turn on? I don't think it would power up. At...
  5. AveryFreeman

Will Noctua NH-U12S with 2x Arctic P12s will cool 180W TDP CPU?

Yeah I've had a standoff short out a board before, so I'm pretty careful about it. Luckily it still worked afterward. I don't think there are any that aren't screwed in, but I'll double check. The board is the h11ssl-i and the CPU is a 7551P which is Naples (1st gen). I have Micron SM-verified...
  6. AveryFreeman

Supermicro X10SRL-F

With much sadness, I am selling my X10SRL-F on eBay, which I just listed for $250: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255727766049 I bought it new so it even includes the block diagram poster! Also original receipt. I don't have the box anymore, but the IO shield hasn't been opened, as it was in my...
  7. AveryFreeman

Does Supermicro H11SSL-I have a built-in speaker? Shouldn't it beep during startup?

Do you think there's any chance it could be the processor and not the board, or would it not power up at all? it powers on, it has the one blinking light all the time for the IPMI, and then the other one on the board that illuminates solid when the board powers on. I have what look like...
  8. AveryFreeman

I think I might have used too much thermal paste, I seem to have a problem with that, lol Have you had any torque issues on your socket? I'm trying to use a regular screwdriver (small) and I can get the screws threaded no problem, but I'm worried I might be clamping it down too hard, or...
  9. AveryFreeman

Well, it's next to the PSU fan and that draws air out of the case, correct? I positioned the push-pull with the fans on the CPU so that it'd blow it directly into the PSU fan. I think it should also be pulling air away from the PCIe slots. There's no case fans other than an 80mm exhaust on...
  10. AveryFreeman

Hey, I'm trying to put together an Epyc 7551P and a Supermicro H11SSL-I, both were purchased used on eBay, and I haven't gotten it to post yet, so I'm pretty concerned. I've read that the amount of torque you apply to the chip socket and/or heatsink is kind of fiddly, so I've removed and...
  11. AveryFreeman

Like the title says, Do you think a Noctua NH-U12S with 2x Arctic P12s slapped on it in push/pull will cool my new 180W TDP Epyc 7551P 32-core CPU? :oops: I'm kind of skeptical myself Although, it DOES look ike you can fit an assload of Arctic silver on this heat spreader... o_O Thoughts?
  12. AveryFreeman

Thoughts on Using Consumer SLC SSD for NAS

Do you mean TLC? You can find 24GB SLC drives (Intel 313 msata, for example) but it's very uncommon, and you certainly won't be finding it in 1TB at a time (maybe 480GB or 960GB but those will more likely be MLC or eMLC). I have a micron 9200 max pro 3.2TB that was one of the earlier "super...
  13. AveryFreeman

Arctic P8 or other consumer fan for 2U Supermicro chassis?

Sounds nice. Could give me some great ideas for custom settings or my own script. BTW you can set the fan speed on your phone if you don't want to tolerate the start-up noises, it'll just reset to 100% a few times during the process so be prepared to send the raw commands over and over (they...
  14. AveryFreeman

Yep, I did this with wdidle.exe on a USB with a copy of freedos. Then, wdtler.exe apparently enabled TLER functionality. My Greens were as new as 2010, out of 8 I had since 2009, four died after being my main file storage for basically a decade, two holdovers are currently recording 6 cameras on...
  15. AveryFreeman

Hi, thanks for weighing in, I appreciate it Yes, I set the fans to full first, but I could double-check. I believe that's why it's so damn loud during startup. With the android IPMIVIEW app I can set their lower threshold and % to 25% during boot, but I end up doing it like 6 times because of...