Recent content by artbird309

1. A

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

I was reading this about doing it yesterday. Conversion of a Cisco UCS 6120XP to a Nexus 5010 • r/homelab Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  2. A

WTB: 2x 160GB to 200GB SSD Boot Drive

I'm looking for 2x 160GB to 200GB SSD to be mirrored boot drives for my ZFS SAN to replace my cheap failing SSDs. I have been looking at the Intel DC S3500 SSDs but if someone has a better drive I would take that too. I'm trying to stay under $100 USD for both but I'm not sure that's...
  3. A

Proxmox storage setup

I'm seeing that more now that I would need more nodes to use Ceph well. In my little testing on my spare server with only one osd and 1gb nic. I was getting about half the max of the drive. I'm looking into the VSAN products, I didn't thinking about them working when I moved outside of VMware...
  4. A

Proxmox storage setup

I have been looking at the Mellanox ConnectX-2 and Intel X520-DA2 NICs. Is there a huge advantage to getting the Intel NICs. I have seen a few issues with the ConnectX-2 and Windows 10\Server 2016 but nothing major I can't live without or changing firmware won't fix. The price difference is...
  5. A

Proxmox storage setup

I think that's what I'll start with then. I haven't seen any 10gb switches that would fit my budget. But the mesh setup should work, just need to look into what NICs and DACs I can get cheap that will work. Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  6. A

Proxmox storage setup

And that's what's I was thinking would be my biggest limiting factor would be the networking and was trying to figure out how much they would limit me. Right now I'm fine as long as I can max a 1GB connection but I have read that might not be possible writing to 2 nodes and the EC. But I don't...
  7. A

Proxmox storage setup

A background. I currently have a one NAS/SAN that is running Omnios with Napp-It exporting storage on NFS and iSCSI to a 3 node VMware cluster. Something is up with the storage box and I have given up with trying to figure it out. It doesn't like to connect and I can't get above 1GB but it works...
  8. A

Migrate rpool to smaller drives

Thanks, that's what I was figuring but I was hoping I wouldn't have to. Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  9. A

Migrate rpool to smaller drives

Right now I have Omnios with Napp-it installed on 2 500gb HDDs that are mirrored. I would like to move my rpool to 2 60gb SSDs so I don't have to waste drive bays. But I don't see any easy to do this. I have room to connect the drives now so I could do a zfs send / receive but I haven't found a...
  10. A

Recommended UPS for Home Server(s)?

Yeah my dad has a one of the ap9619 cards which is basically the same just has sensors inputs and it was a pain to get reset and change the IP as it wasn't factory reset when we got it. If it is factory reset when you get it is much simpler I think just that DHCP option to have it take the...
  11. A

Recommended UPS for Home Server(s)?

As for question 2 from my research to get one also, that card should work but also the new NMC2 cards should also work from how I read it. APC reference: APC UPS Network Management Card (NMC) Compatibility Chart
  12. A

Well I should have looked into that more but I can see why I missed it. SFP vs SFP+... That does not kill it as an option but it limits it's options, it gives it a max of 4 10Gb SFP+, 2 included with that eBay seller and you could add anther 2 on the addition add in card slot.
  13. A

Has anyone looked at Force10 switches, I was browsing eBay when I found a Dell Force10 S60-44T it has 48 1GbE ports and 4 built in 10Gb SFP+ and 2 more 10Gb SFP+ with an add on card all for $385. I am sure this would be loud as its a datacenter product but seems pretty cheap for 6 10Gb SFP+ and...
  14. A

VMware VMUG Advantage EVALExperience - Experience

You are needing the one called "vSphere with Operations Management Enterprise Plus" for the hosts.
  15. A

VMware VMUG Advantage EVALExperience - Experience

I wonder when and how they will start deploying the vSphere 6 products they just announced today to the EVALExperience customers. I am trying to hold off till they figure that out, I don't want to be stuck with 5.5 for a year.