Recent content by arcadeperfect

1. A

Can't get 10G speeds on main subnet

Hi I have a nas with 10GbaseT and a PC with a Mellanox SFP+ as well as on board 2.5G. Connected via a CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch. Using a consumer TP-Link router (although I have a box to set up PFSense or OPNSense on). If I have the 10G nics on the same subnet as the rest of the home network, I...
  2. A

thoughts on m.2 -> 4 x sata adapter

I had a feeling something like that may be the case. Given that I'd probably have some spare sata ports in the case that I got a proper HBA, would it not be a bit wasteful to use 4 pcie lanes for the boot drive? Would it be worth using the NVME as L2ARC?
  3. A

thoughts on m.2 -> 4 x sata adapter

Hi Thinking of using a Supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F to build a super small footprint nas (custom enclosure). It has 6 x sata ports and 1 x pcie m.2 slot + 10gbe. I could add another 6 sata ports with a device like this...
  4. A

Tailscale on truenas core... should i?

Hi TLDR: should I persue Tailscale on TrueNAS core or embark on the headache of migrating to scale? Long version: Apologies, I am a technoweenie trying to make sense of these things. I have a trueNAS core working nicely and I want to expose it via VPN. I was going with pfsense and openVPN...
  5. A

Best solution for 10GbE on macbook pro

all good info thanks for the replies
  6. A

thanks to all for the info. my thunderbolt dock / daisy chained nic will be right by the switch, using fs.com copper cable about 1.5 ft. my nas can just barely saturate 10gb anyway so i’m fine with a bit below. sounds like this is best / only option ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  7. A

Hi, Can anyone speak to the quality of this device (SFP+ version for use with Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN) https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-QNA-T310G1S-Thunderbolt-Adaptor-Single-Port/dp/B07KTLP44W?th=1 There are other options but this is the cheapest SFP+ one I have seen.
  8. A

Mirroring boot drives in J4125 firewall box

righto thanks for the tips!
  9. A

I mean ... any form of redundancy is vulnerable to some other dependency dying. It just seemed like a cheap redundancy to add so might as well. But fair enough.
  10. A

I'm looking to use one of these for pfsense. It has one msata port and one regular sata port. It only has one power port for sata (not a standard one - it comes with a cable to adapt to the drive). - For dual boot drive do the SSD's need to be identical, or can I use 2 similarly specced ones...
  11. A

Help booting X10SDV-4C-TLN2F

Solved! It was down to the (presumably) analog VGA output and a passive VGA to HDMI cable. A monitor with a VGA input worked. Still curious as to why the pcie GPU didn't work though.
  12. A

Help booting X10SDV-4C-TLN2F

Hi, I bought a supermicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F off ebay to build a nas. The ebay listing claims it is it good working order. The unit powers on and the CPU fan spins up, but I get nothing at all from the VGA port, or from a cheap pcie video card from my previous nas box. I also get no error beeps...
  13. A

Chelsio nic goes down after ~5 minutes

Hi, I got two used Chelsio 110-1160-50 T520-CR nics off ebay. One of them seems to work fine. The other works as expected, but after about 5 - 10 minutes, suddenly goes down. That is to say, in Freenas it reports as “down” in the interfaces menu, and in Windows it shows “Network cable...