Recent content by Andre Blumberg

1. Andre Blumberg

10Gbps to Thunderbolt for iMac: AKiTiO vs Sonnet

Thought I'd share this comparison. I have domestic 10Gbps FTTH service (rated 10G down / 2G up) and use in-wall Cat 6A cable from my modem to my working desk and an iMac 5K Retina. Until recently I used a AKiTiO Thunder2 10G adapter which worked nice initially but then throughput degraded from...
  2. Andre Blumberg

Any questions for the Netgear switch team?

Any plans for a *quiet* 10GbE 4 - 6 port switch for home environments?
  3. Andre Blumberg

Your feedback - 10G switches: D-Link DXS-1210-12TC vs Netgear ProSafe XS712T-100NES vs ZyXEL XS1920

Thanks @Patrick - good feedback. Are you aware of a (quiet) model that also has copper 10GE ports rather than SFP+? Would love to have a switch with 2 - 4 10GE copper ports and 4 - 6 1GE ports. Could it be that the MikroTik is quieter because it only have SFP+ ports and copper are only gigabit?
  4. Andre Blumberg

Your feedback - 10G switches: D-Link DXS-1210-12TC vs Netgear ProSafe XS712T-100NES vs ZyXEL XS1920

So the D-Link DXS-1210-12TC arrived and unfortunately has to go back because it makes the sound of a jet engine. The 'smart fans' seem a nice marketing gimmick but not much more. Able to shut down individual ports as well as regulate LEDs for each port, but no apparent impact on the fan speed...
  5. Andre Blumberg

Thanks Patrick, very timely! >> "For next-to-desk use in a home lab or office environment the Netgear ProSAFE XS712T is simply too loud." That was my main concern as well, so I have the D-Link on order. Will see how that pans out once it arrives hopefully in a week or two. Thanks again.
  6. Andre Blumberg

10Gbps Internet

10Gbps Fiber To The Home (FTTH) is around US$330 per month in Hong Kong.
  7. Andre Blumberg

New Dlink 10G Switches

I'm interested in these as well, in particular the DXS-1210-12TC. Did anyone buy these, any further feedback on performance, manageability, noise level? Thanks.
  8. Andre Blumberg

Planning to build a home 10G network and have narrowed down my switch choice to one of these three. Would be interested in any feedback you may have on these - thanks in advance. D-Link DXS-1210-12TC - relatively new to market - smart fans Netgear ProSafe XS712T-100NES - apparently very...