Recent content by Analogue Blacksheep

1. A

WD Red & avoiding the SMR pitfall

That's a pity, I was considering getting some 4TB Toshiba N300's for a QNAP TR-002. Is there any non-SMR 4TB drives?
  2. A

Looking for advice on 4TB NVME SSDs for workstation use.

Well folks, I've currently narrowed it two options: The Micron 7300 Max 3.2TB or the Micron 7300 Pro 3.8TB. You can sum it up as the former can hold more files and is £173‬ less which fits much better in my budget, while the latter has much better endurance and IOPS. Turns out both have power...
  3. A

Move Over M.2: 16TB M.3 SSDs for the 1PB per U Data Center

Sorry for the thread necromancy (this is one of the few threads on this subject), but I've noticed while looking for a high capacity SSD, there are not a lot of M.3/NF1 drives available right now. They seem to be fading out. I've noticed the Samsung PM983 NF1 drives are on Scan, but they seem to...
  4. A

@Dreece - Agreed, I'm surprised OCuLink isn't used more often outside of the enterprise space. I would trade the four SATA ports on my board for two of them. I'm mostly in Small Form Factor PC circles and if someone outside of Asrock Rack used them for an ITX board I could see them being a game...
  5. A

@Dreece - Thanks for the suggestion, however unfortunately my case can only fit 7mm thick drives or adapters which is proving to be a major headache and I don't have any spare PCIE slots. I've also been looking at the WD Gold U.2's, the WD Ultrastar's SN640 and the Micron 7300 (Although I've...
  6. A

@TLN - Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to keep an eye on eBay in the case anything comes up. --- I also came across this on SCAN for a decent price, the Samsung PM983 3.84TB Enterprise NF1 PCIe NVMe SSD. Delock make an adapter, the 64077, so it could fit in my case. Only question is...
  7. A

Hello all, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions/recommendations on some 4tb NVME SSDs. I'm a graphic designer by trade and plan on using my computer for profession/business use. I often deal with very large file sizes and intensive workloads, so I need something that is realible and...
  8. A

Building a tiny (Sub 3.9 Litres) workstation

Hello, sorry about the slow response. After thinking about things, I've decided to go with a ASUS X570-i Ryzen consumer board which I should be arriving this week. The Asrock board still looks great, but no thanks to customs charges it would of cost more than the board I have ordered. I'm still...
  9. A

Building a tiny (Sub 3.9 Litres) workstation

First post here, if you know me from other places, hello again. Anyway I've come because I'm thinking about using some server parts in my workstation build and hopefully I could get some feedback on this potential idea. The plan is to use this a portable graphic design workstation. I'm not so...