Recent content by AmshTemp

1. AmshTemp

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

That's really great. Can you also ask Intel about what is the real difference between 15x1 vs 15x8, the REAL one. If I went with the highly available 1541, am I for example sacrificing network DPDK performance?
  2. AmshTemp

Can I please "unsee" that statement, Patrick? :) You will crush some hearts @ pfSense.
  3. AmshTemp

While seeing OpenSSL charts, can't help but wonder why 1518 is not kicking 1520 in the nuts? I thought 15x8 parts are supposed to be specifically optimized for such operation. Why would I pick a more expensive 15x8 if it performs, somehow, similarly to its 15x1 counterpart?
  4. AmshTemp

Just saw the amazingly packed X10SDV-7TP8F listed for $2,417.09 A well deserved price for a motherboard that "almost" made a dual E5v3 irrelevant ... almost... Amazing...
  5. AmshTemp

Wave -1 had a limitation in that only one of the two USB controllers is being used. Do you happen to know if they changed that with wave-2?
  6. AmshTemp

Overkill 10g home network with 802.11 AC wave2 APs

I think you might want to have a look at Cisco's WS-C3560CX-8XPD-S switch. 8 ports downlink: 6xGbE(PoE+) and 2xMultiGbE(PoE+) 2 ports uplink: 2xSFP+ For more ports, You might also combine this one with another cheap 48xGbE switch and save money.
  7. AmshTemp

Buy XEON E5-1650v3 now or wait for XEON D1541 --> Now: Xeon E5-1650v3 VS E5-2630 v3

Xeon-D mini-ITX form factor are hard to beat. Think about it before you decide, as most of those "monstrous yet tiny" NAS cases are mostly mini-ITX.
  8. AmshTemp

Yes 2 ranks. Could be found cheaper on amazon BTW.
  9. AmshTemp

Be careful ! They are "4Rx4". In Xeon-D, you have 4 slots connected to 2 channels. Each channel has a max of 4 ranks. These memory sticks are 4 ranks, which means you can install 1 per channel, which means you can install only 2 of them. ( =64GB ) If you want to be able to install 4 ( =128GB...
  10. AmshTemp

If D15x1 is for storage, D15x8 is for network, then D15x7 is for what? Edit: Just saw an Intel slide from another site; D15x7 are in the same category as D15x8, not D15x1. So, D15x7 are also network optimized.
  11. AmshTemp

SM 5028D-TN4T X10SDV-TLN4F X557 sr-iov Does Not Work, i350 Work

Can't say I'm 100% sure about this but: 1- To bring a VF up, its PF has to be connected to something. 2- You can't send traffic from VF to another VF located in another PF without driver modifications.
  12. AmshTemp

@EluRex: I wish I can give you more likes. You are the first one on the INTERNET to actually and properly test SR-IOV on Xeon-D Please keep this stream of info coming. @everyone: Some weird things on ASRock D1540D4I-2L2T specifications: and Edit: You can also spot M.2 in the motherboard...
  13. AmshTemp

Thanks Paul. Indeed, I removed the question because I saw somewhere BIOS 1.0b has fixed the issue. Not sure where though. Also a side question: x557 is useless in ESXi, but this motherboard has two i350 ports. So are these two i350 ports dependent on each other? In other words, can you...
  14. AmshTemp

What about the other integrated NIC i350-AM2? On papers, it should support SR-IOV. Intel® Ethernet Controller I350-AM2 Specifications
  15. AmshTemp

What? This official document says x557 supports SR-IOV Intel® Xeon® Processor D-1500 Product Family Datasheet, Vol. 4 Also the latest additions to Intel's open source drivers mentions SR-IOV Are you talking about bridging where you would bridge VFs together? Maybe I'm missing something?