Recent content by altano

1. altano

SAS drives with SATA breakout cable?

Oh jeez that actually is the case here. I have the D1541D4I-2L2T which says "D1541: 6 x SATA3 6Gb/s (4 port from mini SAS, 1 port supports SATA DOM)". Whoops.
  2. altano

Ah that was extremely informative, thanks. In that case, any idea where you could buy the miniSAS-to-SAS equivalent of an SFF-8087 forward breakout cable?
  3. altano

I have a motherboard with a mini-SAS port and I have 4 SAS drives. Can I use a mini-SAS to 4 SATA forward breakout cable or does the forward breakout cable have to be mini-SAS to 4 SAS (which I can't even find for sale)?
  4. altano

Epyc 3251 thermal paste replacement

The solution for me was to switch to a 1U SuperMicro case that had more airflow over the cpu heatsink
  5. altano

eBay SSD Provenance?

I got all the drives into my system and the results were mixed. 2 of the drives were DOA, 1 had a failing controller (according to SMART), 2 had an OK SMART status with errors, and 5 were OK with no errors at all. That's not great for unwarrantied drives, of course, but the seller was really...
  6. altano

No IP address on OmniOS?

Switching to a different SFP port on a different switch in my network fixed things. I don't know if that means I fried the SFP+ port on the first switch or if ESXi can't talk to that port anymore for some reason. I'm not going to investigate further for now since I'm decommissioning this...
  7. altano

No IP address on OmniOS?

route -p add 192.168.0.1/24 192.168.0.1 add net 192.168.0.1/24: gateway 192.168.0.1: Network is unreachable I guess the VM can't communicate with my router, for real. I just tried to setup an Ubuntu VM on the same VMWare port group and that can't get an address over DHCP either. If I switch...
  8. altano

No IP address on OmniOS?

E1000 devices are sort of working. If I add a new network adapter to the VM and use E1000 instead of VMXNET3 as the adapter type, and then create-addr in OmniOS, I get a DHCP IP address. I still can't seem to access the machine via that IP though (I tried napp-it web gui and also ssh).
  9. altano

No IP address on OmniOS?

I tried ipadm create-addr -T static -a 192.168.0.55/24 vmxnet3s1/static and it had no errors, but I still seem to have no network connectivity.
  10. altano

No IP address on OmniOS?

I was able to add another network interface to the VM and DHCP worked with that no problem. But my SFP+ network adapter still won't work. I tried recreating the interface and that didn't help either: ipadm delete-if vmxnet3s2 ipadm create-if vmxnet3s2 ipadm create-addr -T dhcp vmxnet3s2/dhcp
  11. altano

No IP address on OmniOS?

I have an OmniOS + napp-it server hosted on ESXi. It's been running fine for years. Today I lowered the memory in the system and allocated less memory to the VM and now, when it boots up, it has no IP address. I can get into the shell from the ESXi host just fine and it looks like napp-it is...
  12. altano

Quieter 80mm fans?

The FAN-0104L4 fans are still not as quiet as I'd but actually fine. My Noctua CPU fan was causing the Supermicro m/b to spin all the fans very fast due to going too low RPM (the usual problem). I updated the X10SDV-7TP8F bios and the fan assertions went away, and the newly available "PUE2...
  13. altano

Quieter 80mm fans?

And FWIW I'm not satisfied with the new FAN-0104L4 fans. They're MUCH quieter and you can tell they don't make a lot of noise but they have a very annoying sound profile. They have a bad whine to them. I'll have to investigate further and make sure the whine is actually coming from the...