Recent content by altano

1. altano

SuperMicro wants $485 to repair a MBD-X10SDV-4C+- TLN4F-O (D-1518) but a new board costs $500

Oh, odd. SM motherboards are supposed to have a 3-year warranty on labor so they should just be quoting you the cost of the part to be replaced. Hmmm.
  2. altano

SuperMicro wants $485 to repair a MBD-X10SDV-4C+- TLN4F-O (D-1518) but a new board costs $500

That sucks, sorry to hear that. A lot of people on this forum love the D-15XX series and without a lot of issues (myself included). I think you may have just had some bad luck? How far out of warranty were you when you board died?
  3. altano

The scope and cost of that failure actually seem reasonable, sadly. you might be able to snag this as an analogous replacement for cheaper:Asrock D1521d4i2 Mini Itx Motherboard With Xeon D 1521 | eBay
  4. altano

[WTB] Rack Road Case

Lots of great suggestions but this is what I ended up going with since I could get it delivered quickly. Woah these look amazing. Next time I need cases like these I'm definitely going to look at military equipment. Thanks for the tip!
  5. altano

[WTB] Rack Road Case

I'm having trouble finding a rack road case for sale that meets the very basic requirements of being: * 5U+ * 10.5"+ deep * Shock-proofed a little (foam, rubber, whatever) * Not on casters * Less than $500 Anyone have a road case lying around they want to sell? All my equipment is 1U so I'd...
  6. altano

Gauging Interest: FreeNAS / Proxmox Backup Service

@Patrick are you still offering this service? :)
  7. altano

Moving a rack?

Wow, I hadn’t even contemplated not removing anything. Maybe the rack itself is a great protector?
  8. altano

Moving a rack?

Does anyone have any advice on how to transport a server rack hundreds of miles in normal house move? I'm going to take all the hard drives out and put them in road cases and move those in my car, but what about the servers? I'm going to have movers but I obviously don't trust them to pack these...
  9. altano

Possible compromised forum?

The new site’s mobile interface is so much better. I assume all of you complaining are on desktop?
  10. altano

Possible compromised forum?

I’ve seen this once or twice on the old site with Safari on iOS. It’s not the forum upgrade (yay btw!) but surely a compromised ad network. It hijacks click events anywhere on the page to redirect you to spam and malware. :/
  11. altano

PSA: Mysteriously hardware-sensitive M11SDV-8C-LN4F

Yeah I was extremely skeptical too, but they were right. Firmware Revision : 03.00 Firmware Build Time : 01/16/2019 BIOS Version: 1.0a BIOS Build Time: 06/13/2019 I've had 100% uptime since installing it so I'm extremely happy with the drive, and now, also with the system. I use it not...
  12. altano

FS: Supermicro X10DDW-iN Dual 2011-3 Motherboard with NVMe

Received my 5019A-FTN4 and it works perfectly. Thanks @BlueFox.
  13. altano

Updated: 8-10-20, EPYCS, DDR3/4, SAS3/NVME's SSDs

In all fairness that's WAY more GPU :)
  14. altano

Once you go to a higher tier of usage it gets much more expensive than 17c/kWh in my neck of the CA woods. Hmmm 95w idle is lower than I would have expected. Hmmmm.
  15. altano

Too expensive to run. When I moved from Boston to California my electricity bill literally doubled.