Recent content by Alexdi

1. A

Gigabyte MF51-ES0 for an SSD NAS?

I think we're on parallel paths. My current setup is a X9SCM with 6x6TB in RAID-6 on an LSI 9361, fronted by PrimoCache with a 970 Pro. When it works, it's fast, though hotter and noisier than I'd like. But I'm tired of troubleshooting drive failures and sense errors and multi-day rebuild...
  2. A

Gigabyte MF51-ES0 for an SSD NAS?

I'm considering this board for an nVME-based NAS. The appeal is that it has built-in dual 10Gbe, remote management, a bucket of PCIe lanes that I hope can be bifurcated, and it's relatively inexpensive. I'm also considering ASRock X570D4U-2L2T and B550D4U-2T, both of which have bifurcation, PCIe...
  3. A

What is this Micron drive?

Appreciate it guys. Seller claims to have 50+ of them, I thought it might have been a custom job for a large enterprise. Too many red flags.
  4. A

What is this Micron drive?

A local seller is advertising this drive. I can't find anything about it, none of the numbers pull up anything and Micron doesn't appear to make an exactly-4TB drive. Can anyone assist?
  5. A

Reclaimed 10TB SAS 4Kn Enterprise hard drives - $145

Quick update on the 6TB Seagate 'Like New' drives I bought from CDW: they're under warranty until 2025. Seagate said to ignore anything after the 8th digit when you're running them by the warranty checker. So, yeah. Pretty happy about this.
  6. A

EDIT: To avert confusion, I'm talking about Seagate Exos 7e8 6TB drives purchased from CDW, not the 10TB model from an EBay vendor. I'd appreciate that. Seagate hides everything behind the serial number checker. You can't even send an email unless your number is valid. My stress test for these...
  7. A

So, they arrived. Good: Zero hours, late 2019 manufacturing. So-so: All the drives were individually packed (good) and tossed in a large box with inadequate filler (bad). Three were in torn anti-static bags (ok). Three had no bags (bad). Bad: Seagate's warranty checker reports all the serial...
  8. A

I bought six of the 6TB Seagate linked above. Gave up after getting clapped-out used drives from other vendors with high uncorrected error counts. TBD if they have any hours, warranty, etc.
  9. A

Small shoutout to Crashplan

I had a disk failure recently that required restoring 6TB over a few hundred thousand files from Crashplan SMB. Prior to this point, I'd just done some cursory testing with a handful of files to ensure I could do it at all, but didn't seriously test speeds. So the restore starts and it's going...
  10. A

HPE Microserver Gen8 still viable?

I've realized I need a NAS to back up my file server. Small size and low noise are worth a premium because it'll be sitting in a relative's house. Remote access is important. Performance isn't (for now); the only thing it'll have to run is Windows Server 2019 (ideally) and Resilio Sync (which...
  11. A

NVMe Adapter on HP DL380 Gen8 Server

https://www.amazon.com/ADWITS-Adapter-Supports-Bifurcation-Compatible/dp/B07KFX8287 Couple of cards with that chipset. All around $300, max 3.0x8.
  12. A

NAS overhaul for SMB Direct

I think PrimoCache is what I'm looking for. I swapped the 78165 back in and added a 970 Pro 512 GB on a 4X adapter and another 16GB RAM. Set the RAM to a write cache and much of the 970 to a 60/40 R/W split. From the remote machine, I mapped the RAID as write-though to skip SMB caching...
  13. A

Is This A Good Deal (Seagate 7E8 4TB) ?

Can't speak to that one, but I'm seeing 6TB SAS drives on EBay US for $80 or less.
  14. A

NAS overhaul for SMB Direct

An update on this-- I upgraded the RAID controller to an 8885Q. No change in performance (and none expected). I added 4 x 200GB Hitachi SSD1600MM drives in R1E as a MaxCache 3.0 device and assigned it to the array. Significant improvements in random IO, no change in sequential. Not my use case...
  15. A

Compact Micro-ATX case

That Phenom M was my server case until two days ago. Crammed 6 drives into it. I thought the build quality was decent, but it was totally inapropos for that configuration. For ease of building and heat management, I'm partial to cube cases with an upward-facing motherboard layout. My desktop...