Recent content by Agrikk

1. A

Is the difference between 3gbps and 6gbps (or 8 or 12) disk throughput really significant?

I have an old SmartArray P410 to which are connected eight Seagate Terascale 4TB HDDs at 3gbps. I'm thinking of buying a P430 to get my disks connected at 6gbps but the question remains: How big of a deal is 6bgps? It's like home networking: there is the 2.5gbps wireless standard and...
  2. A

SSD version of Supermicro 5-in-3 JBOD enclosure?

Oh. Duh. Not sure why I didn't bother going straight to the source!
  3. A

SSD version of Supermicro 5-in-3 JBOD enclosure?

I have a pair of this enclosure and I'm currently using adapters to mount ten 2.5" SSDs into 3.5" drive bays. Does anyone know if there exists a higher density version of these enclosures purpose built for 2.5" disks?
  4. A

"IIO 1 PCIe Port Bifurcation Control" greyed out - X9SRL-F motherboard

edit: actually, I think IIO IOU 2 might be bifurcated as X4X4X8 to allocate two X4 lanes to Slot 6. I took a lot of pictures to document my attempts and I might have them mixed up. Also- I am using this board as a trueNAS server with one pool of 16 500g SSD in RAID10 attached to the two M1015...
  5. A

The 2-port NVMe adapter I used was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PGDMWKH which is about half price of the Supermicro card you posted. That said, the secret sauce here is understanding how each PCIe slot maps to the CPU and chipset. As a definition, IIO stands for Integrated...
  6. A

Supermicro IPMI - pingable, flashable, HTTP/HTTPS not accessible

I have a Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboard on which the IPMI isn't working properly. When I got the board I went into the BIOS and changed the IP address to static and it shows as 192.168.x.y. The IP address is pingable but I cannot point a browser to it. IPMIView 2.21.0 detects it and I can add...
  7. A

The board I was asking about was a X9SRL-F :) but the premise is the same. An x8 slot can be split into two x4 slots which is what I was looking for. With a 2-slot NVMe card, each slot requires an x4 lane to function so you put it on an x8 slot and split it.
  8. A

I have purchased a two-port NVMe PCIe adapter and I'm trying to get my Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboard to recognize it. I'm trying to turn on bifurcation on the slot but the ""IIO 1 PCIe Port Bifurcation Control" option I'm supposed to access is black and not selectable. Is this setting...
  9. A

Does an 8+ slot PCIe 4x motherboard exist?

I'll be looking for a quiet 120mm or 140mm fan and some passive heatsinks for the various chipsets instead.
  10. A

Well, I'm not sure I'm happy or sad that you've talked me out of it. :D I was kinda looking forward to a weird project like this, but am happy to not spend the dosh on motherboard/cpu/ram/case/fiber HBAs/4-port gig NICs.
  11. A

This is literally the problem I am trying to solve. I have Force10 and PowerConnect 6248 switches and a Sonicwall NSA 4500 firewall appliance and the shriek of their 40mm fans has gotten old. I was toying with the idea of building a switch to cool it with 120mm fans. Is there any data about...
  12. A

The easiest thing would be to cut a 120mm or 140mm hole in the top of each of my existing devices and unplug the 40mm fans increasing the airflow while reducing the noise, but that adds about 1U to each device. I'm trying to avoid that because my cabinet is filling up. But it would be the...
  13. A

Yeah, I expect as much. This whole thing reeks of a Bad Idea but I'm considering doing it anyways. :p I'm hoping that I can replace three devices (Sonicwall NSA 4500, Force10 10g switch, PowerConnect 6248P gig switch) and their resulting crazy-loud fans with something home built and quieter...
  14. A

Oh wow. Those are cool looking boards. A pity they are dual CPU, though. They will be a little overpowered for a simple switch. :D