Recent content by aero

1. A

Dell R740xd2 26HDD to butterfly riser + low profile conversion

My guess is that you cannot convert your rear drive bay chassis to one with the additional slots. It's not necessarily just a matter of replaceable parts but the chassis and motherboard etc. See this website listing various parts. Note on the R540 there are 3 distinctly different chassis...
  2. A

Dell R740xd2 26HDD to butterfly riser + low profile conversion

Which pcie riser configuration do you currently have? Refer to this doc. Do you have the one with the rear drive cage? https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocuments/Product_Docs/en/dell-emc-poweredge-r740xd2-technical-guide.pdf It appears you want the change it to the configuration on page 8 figure 5?
  3. A

Solarflare SFP+ 10Gbe cards

You do not need any activation key for onload, efvi, tcp direct, or ptp with the PLUS version you can check the licensed features once you install it and run "sfkey"
  4. A

2nd zpool or add VDEV to existing zpool?

When the heck is the version of ZFS on linux coming out that allows 1. expansion of raidz vdevs, 2. automatic rebalancing of data
  5. A

2nd zpool or add VDEV to existing zpool?

This may or may not matter to you, but it irks me to no end....if you add another vdev to your pool all your writes will go to the new vdev, they will not be balanced.
  6. A

ISP > Switch > firewall aka wan breakout?

The typical purpose of fronting the ISP connections with a switch is so you can have redundancy with high-availability firewalls. Don't need any vlans, can be unmanaged switches. Each firewall of the HA pair will have a connection to each ISP in this scenario. see this crude diagram edit: If...
  7. A

HGST 12TB SAS3 3.5" - $105 OBO

The 52 near the end of the model number noted in the auction would indicate 512e
  8. A

Is mining dead now?

Some are trying other coins that are still PoW, however, that has obvious problems. As miners move to another coin, that lessens the profitability for all miners of that coin. Furthermore, the mining is to support the transactions of that coin...and no coins have anywhere near the volume of...
  9. A

If domain controller goes down, how to access ZFS shares

Uh....environment with a single domain controller? Pretty insane. Having a local backup account isn't a bad idea, however, if you're only creating one to share amongst all your users, you'd have to give it permissions to everything. Everyone would have access to everything. If that's not a...
  10. A

NVMe with Dell R440 PE Servers

Even if you have the x10 backplane that supports NVME, you cannot use the M.2 to U.2 adapter for all 10 bays, just 4 of them, which are wired for nvme back to the motherboard. They should work for those 4 bays though.
  11. A

anyone interested in Redundant Array of Independant Tape?

Yes, please stop calling these arrays, these are not anything like traditional disk arrays that stripe and parity (raid5, raid6, raidz, etc.) I think that's partly why people were not understanding what you were trying to do originally.
  12. A

Sorry, caught me mid-edit. see my edit2 edit2: what I have described is the method for directly manipulating tape; not using LTFS. I would rather not use an additional layer of abstraction if at all possible; that's just me though LTFS has to do all of these same things under the hood, so...
  13. A

A file written to tape will be written sequentially. If you're using linux it's very simple to control, read, and write with tape... #rewind tape to beginning mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind #seek to end of data mt -f /dev/nst0 eod #move forward to the beginning of next file mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf 1...
  14. A

Weird 600GB drive (SOLVED)

I don't know about proxmox specifically, but it's possible with hardware raid cards, linux md raid, and zfs mirror vdevs. In some of these cases it does warn you about the disparity, and you have to give a flag to force it.
  15. A

Weird 600GB drive (SOLVED)

You can still use them together in a raid array, it will just treat all disks as the size of the smallest device.