Recent content by adman_c

1. A

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I would hesitate to use those MagLev fans. While they are quieter at full blast than the stock fans, I found that they had a deeply unpleasant resonance/buzzing when running at the lower fan speed voltage in my 6450. Check out @rootwyrm's fan post of doom for some other recommendations. I'm...
  2. A

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Per the datasheet on Ubiquiti's site, that POE injector lacks gigabit ports, so that explains the 100mbit uplink.
  3. A

Yeah, the only UniFi gear that's left for me is a pair of Flex Mini switches--there's really nothing else that competes at anywhere near the price/size/power envelope for a managed switch. Although I was able to replace several of my 8 port UniFi switches with a single ICX 6450, there are still...
  4. A

I'm running 200.9.10.4.212 on my Ruckus APs (2x R610 + H510), and it seems pretty solid. BUT, take this with a grain of salt, as I only just switched from UniFi to these Ruckus APs last week, so I have nothing to compare this version to. Reliability and performance have been top-notch thus far.
  5. A

That’s not out of line. Mine idles at 32-33w after boot with nothing but the console cable plugged in.
  6. A

One more data point to confirm this, I'm running the second port on an R610 into a small managed switch and it sees all the vlans just as they are supplied to the main POE port. It's just a straight pass-through.
  7. A

Just received and installed a couple of R610s to replace some Unifi AP-AC-Pros. So far so good. Max wifi throughput (600mbit down) has exceeded the NanoHD I have, even though that has a 4x4 5g radio while the R610s only have 3x3. I'll probably yank that out, as the two R610s appear to be more...
  8. A

I think this is because the R720 requires 802.3bt for full power, and does, in fact, run degraded when it is "only" fed 802.3at. See the datasheet:
  9. A

Yes, I should note that I read and very much enjoyed your "fan post of doom." Thanks a lot for that. I even went out and tracked down a couple of the gryphon fans to try out as my next victims. I don't mind the harmonics of the FFB0412s--as I said, they're vastly better than the Sunons they...
  10. A

Continuing the intermittent thread of folks seeking to quiet their 6450s, I installed a couple of the Sunon KDE1204PKVX and found that they created a terrible buzzing resonance when running at low speed. I replaced them with these Delta FFB0412HN-5T20, which are less expensive and vastly less...
  11. A

BestBuy - 12TB Easystore USB HDD - $180

If Seagate’s not your thing, the CDW outlet also has a handful of 12TB WD HC520 SAS drives for $192.
  12. A

Just to add another data point here, my 6450-24p draws 32-33w with nothing but the console cable plugged in. I don't think the switching load my office/lab machines put on it makes any measurable difference in the power usage. On the plus side, I'm replacing 3 different 8 port Unifi switches and...