Recent content by adman_c

1. A

Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

My i5-12600H barebones arrived yesterday, and I have it up and running with 64GB of Kingston Fury 4800. So far so good, and it idles in Proxmox at right around 11W, which is really impressive. That may even be lower than my Lenovo Tiny i5-8500T idled once I put a 2x SFP+ card in it. Need to do...
  2. A

EXPIRED Brocade ICX7250-48P ($105/ea OBO + Reasonable Shipping)

FYI, I would describe my switch with the mod as "quiet but noticeable if you're in the same small room" and not necessarily "next-to-dead silent," but to be fair I am pretty sensitive to noise as I sit fairly close to the switch 8+ hours every work day. And in any case it is a very substantial...
  3. A

LOL. I hit post too quickly and you got the link while I was editing...
  4. A

I used the RoachedCoach method described here. Pretty sure I used those Mechatronics fans as well, although I used a different 60mmx10mm fan for the ASIC. I also cut out the rear stamped grates and installed these to increase airflow and reduce noice from turbulence. Depending on how likely you...
  5. A

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I'd be cautious running with just a single fan, especially if/when you plug in some POE devices. Trying to exhaust 80W+ of heat through a single 40MM fan could go badly. On the other hand, there's no question that the cooling in these switches is substantially overprovisioned for homelab use. I...
  6. A

For whatever it's worth, this person's 7250-48P idles at 63W, so if your 6450 really idles at 100W, this is a capability AND efficiency improvement. DO EET.
  7. A

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I'm pretty sure I did just that--I definitely did not start over from scratch. The only thing that I remember being different is the version of Fastiron on the 7250 no longer uses dual-mode--you can just set a port to have an untagged vlan and then any number of tagged vlans. But even that...
  8. A

$120 shipped for these switches is just such a screaming deal. They're damn near perfect for a homelab switch--just wish they were slightly less power hungry and noisy. Even saying that they're not terrible compared to similar enterprise grade switchgear, and at least with these you can opt for...
  9. A

FYI, this seller has it for $120 OBO with free shipping, so slightly better than list price of the one in OP.
  10. A

Yeah, I just snagged a 7250-24P to act as a backup and it was a good deal at $150. Under $100 for these switches is just a phenomenal deal.
  11. A

I had a 6450-24P and then moved to a 7250-24P. Idle power was 15-20W higher for the 7250, so I'd expect the 48 port version to similarly be 20ish watts higher than the 6450-48P. 100W seems high for the 6450 at idle, even with 48 ports--do you have a bunch of POE or something? I see about 85W...
  12. A

Ah. My bad for missing that. I definitely hope you can find a solution!
  13. A

The internets says that an E core has approximately 60% of the performance of a P core. So by disabling those 8 E cores you're losing performance in the neighborhood of 4-5 P cores. So you're definitely getting a lot less performance than you paid for. Your issues sound very much like the...
  14. A

Did you install the most recent intel microcode? That supposedly helped with some issues with big/little cores and proxmox. Someone posted a craft computing YouTube link with it earlier in this thread.
  15. A

NEW! Topton 10Gb 2xSFP+ 4x2.5Gb i5-1240P

It is too bad that the PCIE slot on these boards is limited to 4 lanes, since the CPUs they actually put in the machines (8508, U300E, and 1240P) all have 20 PCIE lanes, rather than the 9 in the N-series CPUs. I wonder if these boards were originally designed for N-series CPUs and they later...