Recent content by 86turbodsl

1. 8

Cheap 10Gb SFP+ enterprise gear - whats out there?

The xikestor is $160 on amazon right now. But that would work perfect for just SFP+ expansion off the juniper switch. So many ways to go here. I don't have a good handle on how much power the juniper is pulling. I'd guess it's at least 120W as it sits. I have a lot of POE devices, phones...
  2. 8

That thread is so gigantic. I'm a bit blown away by it. Ha, the Brocade can't be any louder than the Juniper 4200. It's like a jet engine with dual supplies.
  3. 8

Or should i just go for the gusto and get a ICX6610? What would the 7250 give me over that?
  4. 8

Interesting. I had thought to just add a 2nd switch with primarily SFP+ ports and use that as 10G backbone, but maybe it makes more sense to swap out the Juniper EX4200 for a Brocade 7250? I won't say never, but i'm not sure when i would need faster than 10G. I only upgraded to 1G a year ago...
  5. 8

I've been setting up 10gb to replace my existing 1gb stuff. I have a fiber haul to my workshop about 100M away from the main rack. The rack has most of the servers in it, 2 proxmox nodes and some other stuff. I have a juniper EX4200 as my main switch, with full POE. The 10gb stuff, i'm just...
  6. 8

WTB - Dual LGA3647 MB

Looking to pickup a Supermicro X11DPH or similar. What's out there? Not liking what i see on the bay right now. Not that worried about 10Gb network, just would like dual scalable sockets and preferably dual nvme with lots of pcie slots. This is for a proxmox build in a SC836 chassis. If...
  7. 8

Any cheap reasonable Skylake single or dual cpu MB you can recommend?

I was just looking at that. I had a counteroffer at 259.
  8. 8

Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro EN (MCX314A-BCCT)

Cool, but just wondering what use a home lab has for Infiniband? I deal with this sometimes on clusters, which makes sense, but in a home?
  9. 8

Anybody know what rails these are?

Just a final update. I whacked off both ends of the outer rails, matched up the holes in the angle and drilled two new holes. The outers then bolted onto the rack and the SC836 slid right in. I picked up a 2nd 836 on Saturday and that will just go on the angle. Other than not being able to...
  10. 8

14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

Any opinions on which are better? Exos or Ultrastar?
  11. 8

Yeah, i have a machine shop and can fabricate, but there's something to be said for something designed to do a task well. I can slide my servers out on the angle, but they need to be supported. Maybe i can whack ends off the outer rails and just drill holes. I'll come up with something...
  12. 8

Yeah there's no square holes on my rack at all. Maybe i have a different kind of rack. It's standard width 19" but i think was full of instrumentation before i got it. Weighs a metric crap ton. That thing never comes out of the basement in my lifetime i think. I can shoot a picture of the...
  13. 8

Ok, sounds like don't use them then. The outer rails aren't even close to being able to use in my rack. My rack uses sliding square nuts in extrusions that look like 80/20 but are smaller. I've been using angle iron as shelves on each side and cases just sit on those and the front mounts get...
  14. 8

My new SC836 case came with these: I don't know how the rack rail would attach. The existing rails use screws direct into the extrusion. These are some sort of clip ins. The inner rails look like they slide right into the SC835 no problem.
  15. 8

14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

Those drives are now bumped up in price. ~ $155 now.