Recent content by ( )

1. ( )

Supermicro H12SSL boards listed on website

Good spot, there are limited drivers: P210P - 2 x 10GbE PCIe NIC VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search - Windows server or VMware is the closest you're going to get to running on Windows. Maybe by the time Milan is on the shelves all the kinks will be worked out, those new MBs are...
  2. ( )

Supermicro EPYC boards

SuperMicro just put up a video for the H11DSi-NT dual socket EPYC: The single socket is over U$400 and the dual over U$600 - nowhere in stock and a big variance on prices. The SuperMicro landing page is here: Supermicro AMD EPYC™ Processor-based Solutions | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc.
  3. ( )

Xeon Platinum/Silver/Gold, i9-79**X, Threadripper, EPYC : where are the workstations?

You understand that 4K is going to need 15 Gbps, and (for example) one 2 Port 25G Card alone is $1K: QLogic FastLinQ QL45212-DE Dual Port 25GbE SFP28 Adapter, Customer Installation | Dell Canada - If your budget is less than a few K ... Why not just buy a quiet Rack as suggested above, or use a...
  4. ( )

Xeon Platinum/Silver/Gold, i9-79**X, Threadripper, EPYC : where are the workstations?

@TType85 wasn't kidding about the price of the cables, 1000" of T2 cable is well over a thousand. Zack, spending very little time I came up with this suggestion: KVM Extender - Matrox Extio F2408 - Features - that's 1 kilometer KVM with 4 2K Displays and an extender is available for 8 Displays...
  5. ( )

Trends in Server Compute 2017 – Qualcomm Centriq 2400

Some hard numbers I have been able to come up with ... On Webpage: Server/SpecsAndDesigns - OpenCompute the File: "OCS Open CloudServer Power Supply v2.0" says that the Server has a 1600W Power Supply that services 6 Trays, so 1600/6=266.6, let's call that 250W peak. There is a File called...
  6. ( )

Qualcomm Centriq 2400 ARM CPU from Hot Chips 29

I thought the Memory Compression interesting, this seems to be the Patent for it: Patent WO2015179483A1 - Memory controllers employing memory capacity compression, and related processor-based systems and methods . Here's a simplified explanation as it applies to Apple's iOS: OS X 10.9...
  7. ( )

Need a quiet 2u server with 3.5 hdd bays

Probably no one will tell you "A 2U Server with 1U Power Supplys is silent" - if that's the answer you're waiting for that may not be forthcoming. No experience with this PS but it has SuperMicro's SQ rating (which means super quiet, and not silent). It's 920W but there are larger SQ PSes...
  8. ( )

Patrick if noise is your concern there's a segment that has the same requirements, the Music Industry (specifically Computer Racks in a Recording Studio). @Nanotech - A general Article of use to others is: Quiet Please: Advanced PC Silencing | - probably you know that already. A Chassis for...
  9. ( )

Sounds like you want to wait for the HPE ProLiant ML350 Gen10 Server or similar, this question was asked here: Solved: Re: ETA: Proliant Gen10 with AMD Epyc / Intel Skyl... - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community - the 'answer' being, get on the Mailing List: HPE ProLiant Gen10 Information ...
  10. ( )

NVIDIA Tesla V100 Volta Update at Hot Chips 2017

No sooner than Patrick is thanked an Article automagically appears about the TPU: Case Study on the Google TPU and GDDR5 from Hot Chips 29 .
  11. ( )

NVIDIA Tesla V100 Volta Update at Hot Chips 2017

Interesting that the Volta and the Google TPU choose a similar Form Factor. NVidia Volta Google TPU (version 1) Google TPU2 The TPU2 does 180 TFLOPS, it can be further bundled into an OpenRack to provide 11.5 PFLOPS; that looks like this: NVidia Blog: Inside Volta: The World’s Most...
  12. ( )

That's the kind of numbers that Maxcom (formerly APM) is coming out with for the X-Gene 3 (32 Cores of 835 @ 125W). The Linley Report "Performance Arms X-Gene 3 for Cloud": https://www.linleygroup.com/uploads/x-gene-3-for-cloud.pdf , on page 5, claims that the "X-Gene 3 far outclasses current...
  13. ( )

Glad you caught my post. I looked up the distance and found it's only 10 minutes away, convenient. They say they're only sampling to "select clients", have your Elevator Summary ready, we're rooting for you. At the very least ask if they'll say how much power the 48 Core version uses, my guess...
  14. ( )

It would be great to see this compared with the Intel Atom C3000 Series. Qualcomm put up a new Blog post about this today: Introducing the Qualcomm Falkor CPU core: purpose-built for cloud workloads | Qualcomm which says that there's a HotChips Conference at the Flint Center for the Performing...
  15. ( )

AMD EPYC v Intel Xeon Scalable Taking Stock of Myths July 2017

I know the feeling, early days are sometimes rough and it can be a challenge to determine if it's the Processor, Motherboard, Software, or lack of coffee. While I've waited years for the AMD CPUs of this year to come I'm currently convinced to await Zen 2 (7 nm); at least it will also afford me...