Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AdditionalPylons

Apr 12, 2016
Oslo, Norway
While I like your idea of sharing computing power, my whole setup is geared at low power consumption(due to 0.26c/kW hour power prices). My desktop (i7-5775c) idles around 20w, my server about 30-40W, plenty of power on tap, but most of the time is spent idling so a 90W+ idle would be a killer, power wise
I see your point, but in my opinion the whole point going with these Sandy Bridge Xeons is performance/cost, not per watt, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy them and have them sitting idle most of the time. Lower power solutions may be both more efficient and cheaper then, of course depending on your use.
For my case, living in Norway (the country has 99% renewable energy), I pay an equivalent of US 11 c/kWh, and donate distributed computing much more in the winter when the extra heat is actually useful. Better running the electricity through the computer first rather than using electric radiators. =)

josh

Oct 21, 2013
My Xeons with Prime95 and 100% load are at 64C max in 29C ambient and declared Tcase is 80C. Xeons are pretty cool. So you don't really need this case and you will have a lot of dust.
Anything for aesthetics. Have you seen how pretty it looks?

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
Anything for aesthetics. Have you seen how pretty it looks?
It is great! Beautiful. But pay attention that this case support only 6.7” x 6.7” (Mini ITX), 9.6” x 9.6” (Micro ATX), 12” x 9.6” (ATX). Dual Xeons motherboards are SSI EEB or EATX 12" x 13" format.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
It is great! Beautiful. But pay attention that this case support only 6.7” x 6.7” (Mini ITX), 9.6” x 9.6” (Micro ATX), 12” x 9.6” (ATX). Dual Xeons motherboards are SSI EEB or EATX 12" x 13" format.
I was thinking of sticking a Dell T5600 mobo in there. Not sure of the size though.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Definitely not buying the 10 more that I need at the $75 price point... :-/

Nnyan

Mar 5, 2012
I was thinking of sticking a Dell T5600 mobo in there. Not sure of the size though.
Just about all those vendor mobo's are proprietary and will need some modding to get it to at least screw into enough mb mounts to be steady. And you usually have to play around with the I/O shield. I know of a few projects with the T5400 motherboard that were close fits to specific cases

I don't recall where I found this info but I have a note that the T5600 mobo was 10'x15". Good luck!

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
Is it worth to change E5-2670 with E5-2697 v2 or E5-2687w v2? I think that they use the same socket but they are 5€ cheaper. What do you think?

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
Those CPUs cost around $1000... where are you seeing them for cheaper than the ~$50-$75 E5-2670?

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Just about all those vendor mobo's are proprietary and will need some modding to get it to at least screw into enough mb mounts to be steady. And you usually have to play around with the I/O shield. I know of a few projects with the T5400 motherboard that were close fits to specific cases

I don't recall where I found this info but I have a note that the T5600 mobo was 10'x15". Good luck!
Yea I looked at the back plane it looks like the ports stick out. Definitely can't do it with this mobo. The case has a theme of not having I/O shields so I was considering it for a while.
Will now have to look for another dual X79 that fits in ATX :(

Rain

May 13, 2013
Anyone know why there was a minor price bump in the 2670 market a few days ago? ~$120 for a pair was the usual buy-it-now price, but it has since jumped to ~$145 or more across the board. Is stock finally starting to get low, resulting it higher prices?

I was about to buy a pair to fill a new (used) system I just purchased... I threw a few offers at a few different sellers slightly higher than the prices that existed a few days ago, and everyone countered with $1 to $2 dollars off their current listing price.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Anyone know why there was a minor price bump in the 2670 market a few days ago? ~$120 for a pair was the usual buy-it-now price, but it has since jumped to ~$145 or more across the board. Is stock finally starting to get low, resulting it higher prices?

I was about to buy a pair to fill a new (used) system I just purchased... I threw a few offers at a few different sellers slightly higher than the prices that existed a few days ago, and everyone countered with $1 to $2 dollars off their current listing price.
Collusion/price fixing.

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
My guess is that Esiso was able to set the market on these for months since he had the bulk of cpus to offload. Other sellers had to begrudgingly follow his price or stand no chance of selling.

Now that his stock is dwindling (another guess, but why else?) Esiso cranks his price and everybody else breathes a sigh of relief and follows up.

Not quite as nefarious as collusion but the end result is the same.

Reactions: PigLover

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
My guess is that Esiso was able to set the market on these for months since he had the bulk of cpus to offload. Other sellers had to begrudgingly follow his price or stand no chance of selling.

Now that his stock is dwindling (another guess, but why else?) Esiso cranks his price and everybody else breathes a sigh of relief and follows up.

Not quite as nefarious as collusion but the end result is the same.
Not so sure about this. There are always an abundance of eBay sellers who price their goods way beyond what a sane person would pay. So how do they survive if price fixing works?

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Not so sure about this. There are always an abundance of eBay sellers who price their goods way beyond what a sane person would pay. So how do they survive if price fixing works?
No clue about those sellers. Always wondered that myself, just assumed their main line of business was outside ebay so their ebay prices are whatever they want. If a sucker bites, great, if not, no big deal.

The sellers who do depend on ebay have to stay competitive and therefore stay close to the lowest asking price if they want to get sales. It's not price fixing since that implies they are getting together to decide on a set price, just a free market.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
By having the bulk of the supply. The other sellers just sell a handful