Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
brg lightses.... now all it needs is stickers to make it go faster.... I put all my stickers on the inside of my hood close to the engine to add horsepowers. :)
Great comment!!!!

Well, when I turnd on PC for the first time it almost fly away... fans were on max. I made small board with ATMega328, 3 mosfets and serial interface to motherboard to have key-less control for 3 fans (cpu1, cpu2, case fan), but I changed s2600co.sdr, changed fans speed, made update of fru and sdr, so I haven't need mpc no more. I didn't know what to connect but I found old RGB strip which was used by my son in school project almost 3 year ago, I had some glue soooo.....

One relative visited me today. he likes gadgets, laptops... But 2 CPUS, 64GB means nothing and it is not noticeable when you have a redneck light in case..... hahahahaha......

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I'm going to order the 5 metre strips of rgb's for monitor/desk backlighting for videos but I suspect that I will be taunted relentlessly on this forum for it. 128gb of ram on the other hand are perfectly reasonable here ;)

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
I'm going to order the 5 metre strips of rgb's for monitor/desk backlighting for videos but I suspect that I will be taunted relentlessly on this forum for it. 128gb of ram on the other hand are perfectly reasonable here ;)
Well I usually turned off case light, I don't turn off PC so it is not good when I want to sleep.

What will you be use as controller?

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
128GB is great, I bought 64GB because, huh I had a lot of costs and I was short on money.... I have to buy GPU first, probably gtx 1060 and RAM latter.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've come around full circle. There was a time when my computers were loaded with bling lights. Now I despise lights of any kind and won't hesitate to put a piece of tape over a LED that's way too bright (most of them will light up a totally dark room).

raileon

Jun 22, 2016
Biggest seller of these on ebay just upped their price from 59.10 to $73 for the SR0KX.

No wonder they wouldn't budge below $57 for my order last week.

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
Biggest seller of these on ebay just upped their price from 59.10 to $73 for the SR0KX.

No wonder they wouldn't budge below $57 for my order last week.
Be happy that you got them at that price.
For giggles, I offered exactly $59.10 yesterday (the buy it now price of yesterday morning, before it was raised to $73). I got counter offer for $71. Needless to say, I am not buying at that price.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
With the price of these going up, hopefully the price of the MB's will come back down. I'm still sitting on a set waiting on a reasonably priced MB.

ax206geek

May 11, 2016
There are other more exotic sources for the cpu, for example Aliexpress has them at $62 free shipping. If you read Chinese, you can even try taobao.

Reactions: Srmarkovic

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia
I really wish I had a need for this kind of setup
Same here. I have no need for this kind of setup but I made one just for fun. Now I don't know what to do with it. I'v been using it for a few days but I back to my old good i7. :) Yes it is good but I'm usually playing games, watching movies, browsing net and my i7 with 16GB is good enough for this. Dual Xeon spend most of his short life benchmarking or doing noting.... Case I used for this setup is too big for my shelf and I don't prefer big cases but it has to be big enough for server motherboard so I turned it off and packed it in box. It will end unused in garage beside big intelligent 800x500x30mm dual microprocessor wireles&sd card CNC machine I constructed and made for 800€ but don't use it... Dual Xeon cost me less, only 620€...;)

There are other more exotic sources for the cpu, for example Aliexpress has them at $62 free shipping. If you read Chinese, you can even try taobao.
I bought two e5-2670 for 58€ per piece and 64GB Hynix 8x8 1333 ECC memory for 95€ from Aliexpress, all is freeshipping. Processors are ok and memory is GREAT in original package unopened with heatsinks. Good parts and fast delivery from China to Europe. Motherboard, well I bought a new one in local computer store for 220€, not cheap but with 3y warranty.

Last edited:

AdditionalPylons

Apr 12, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Same here. I have no need for this kind of setup but I made one just for fun. Now I don't know what to do with it. I'v been using it for a few days but I back to my old good i7. :) Yes it is good but I'm usually playing games, watching movies, browsing net and my i7 with 16GB is good enough for this. Dual Xeon spend most of his short life benchmarking or doing noting.... Case I used for this setup is too big for my shelf and I don't prefer big cases but it has to be big enough for server motherboard so I turned it off and packed it in box. It will end unused in garage beside big intelligent 800x500x30mm dual microprocessor wireles&sd card CNC machine I constructed and made for 800€ but don't use it... Dual Xeon cost me less, only 620€...;)
If you don’t yet have a use case for your powerful server/workstation you can always consider helping out at the World Community Grid. It’s a distributed computing project by research groups from all over the world. Currently running projects are mostly about biomedicine and protein folding, but there’s also been research on renewable energy, sustainable water etc. It runs the BOINC platform (available on Linux/Windows/Mac/Android etc.) and has no problem utilising all 32 threads on my 2x E5-2670. (My 128 GB RAM is total overkill for this though.)
There's also points and rankings if you're into that sort of competition.

Reactions: Srmarkovic

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
While I like your idea of sharing computing power, my whole setup is geared at low power consumption(due to 0.26c/kW hour power prices). My desktop (i7-5775c) idles around 20w, my server about 30-40W, plenty of power on tap, but most of the time is spent idling so a 90W+ idle would be a killer, power wise

Last edited:

Srmarkovic

Jun 14, 2016
Serbia