Quanta S210-X22RQ 2U LGA2011 Barebone (10Gb and LSI2008 mezzanines included)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sandbox

Jun 25, 2016
Fans are rated at 4.9A each. They are getting throttled to 50% fanspeed - the problem is that under some conditions they'll go lower, but often times are pegged at 50%

Replacing the fans doesn't change this behavior, but it does seem to behave better with a slower fan like the one we've been using.

The root backdoor he's describing is probably the IPMI/SSH user for the BMC

Sandbox

Jun 25, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply. To confirm that I understand your statement regarding the fans being throttled to 50%. Are you saying the current fan speed is at 50% (default minimum) because my cores are running 34-39C and when the cores heat up the thermostat will spin them up higher as necessary? If so, I may just move them to the garage and let them be noisy.

All things considered the box is pretty cheap for the capability/capacity provided. The MOBO may be only v1 but for the price it is newer/better than the LGA 1366 stuff.

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply. To confirm that I understand your statement regarding the fans being throttled to 50%. Are you saying the current fan speed is at 50% (default minimum) because my cores are running 34-39C and when the cores heat up the thermostat will spin them up higher as necessary? If so, I may just move them to the garage and let them be noisy.

All things considered the box is pretty cheap for the capability/capacity provided. The MOBO may be only v1 but for the price it is newer/better than the LGA 1366 stuff.

Yes. Old fans idle at 50% (6k rpm) new fans idle at 50% of their max 6k (3k rpm)

Bob Dole

Jun 28, 2016
I got one as well, not all that bad for the price. I updated the BIOS & BMC to the following:

BIOS: S2RS_3A27
BMC: 3.76

Didn't seem to want to take anything higher than that, probably because their is a different board, I would guess a version2 to support e5-26xx series procs. Seems the newer BMC/BIOS is a larger size file on the Quanta site. Works fine for v1 procs, which is what we purchased them for, so no big deal there.

However I did try v2 procs and the system wouldn't post.

Mine also came with all 12 caddies as well in perfect condition with no damage to the system at all.

I was attempting to update to that BIOS version and the system locked up, I let it run for another 4 hours hoping it was a hiccup but it wasn't. Upon reboot, it just beeps over and over again, so she's dead. The server is now basically dead and I cannot reset the BIOS. I put AMIBOOT.ROM onto a USB to try and recover but that doesn't work. I have also tried update the BIOS from the BMC but I keep getting two errors "Invalid Project Name" or "Invalid Image Size".

The manual claims there is a reset BIOS button but I can't find one. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it work again? I have a feeling I'm about to have a nice paper weight.

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
I was attempting to update to that BIOS version and the system locked up, I let it run for another 4 hours hoping it was a hiccup but it wasn't. Upon reboot, it just beeps over and over again, so she's dead. The server is now basically dead and I cannot reset the BIOS. I put AMIBOOT.ROM onto a USB to try and recover but that doesn't work. I have also tried update the BIOS from the BMC but I keep getting two errors "Invalid Project Name" or "Invalid Image Size".

The manual claims there is a reset BIOS button but I can't find one. Does anyone have any ideas of how to get it work again? I have a feeling I'm about to have a nice paper weight.
I think it's a jumper by the EEPROM chip on the motherboard - near the rear empty PCI-E slot.

Bob Dole

Jun 28, 2016
I tried that but it just is a continuous beep. The system powers up but I can't see anything and the USB ports never become active.

Edit: A readme for the bios says to move JP26 to 2-3, recover the BIOS, then move the JP26 back to 1-2. Where the heck is JP26? Is it jumper 2 and jumper 6?

Last edited:

arkcom

Jun 5, 2016
I tried that but it just is a continuous beep. The system powers up but I can't see anything and the USB ports never become active.

Edit: A readme for the bios says to move JP26 to 2-3, recover the BIOS, then move the JP26 back to 1-2. Where the heck is JP26? Is it jumper 2 and jumper 6?
It's under the 10gbe mezzanine.

Bob Dole

Jun 28, 2016
It's under the 10gbe mezzanine.

Okay, so there is a 2 pin that is labeled BMC Disable. Do I jump that one? That is the one directly under the 10Gbe mezz card. If that's the one then I don't understand the instructions in the README. It says jump it 2-3 then back to 1-2, how is this possible with only 2 pins.

Last edited:

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
I am running freenas inside of ESXi with the LSI controller passed through. I don't know about the intel c602 sas controller. The LSI controller in IT mode works great as expected.
Where'd you get the firmware for the LSI 2008? Found a few but figured I'd ask.

Decided to just plug the 8087 cables into the SAS ports on the mobo.

...aaaand I see that the SAS 4-7 port doesn't register in the bios. Under SAS Configuration it only sees the SAS 0-3 port and nothing is registered on the 4-7.

So I'll need to flash the IT firmware.

Last edited:

Tobias

Jun 15, 2015
Sweden
Where'd you get the firmware for the LSI 2008? Found a few but figured I'd ask.

Decided to just plug the 8087 cables into the SAS ports on the mobo.

...aaaand I see that the SAS 4-7 port doesn't register in the bios. Under SAS Configuration it only sees the SAS 0-3 port and nothing is registered on the 4-7.

So I'll need to flash the IT firmware.
This worked for me , download from here Support Documents and Downloads just search for 9211-8i firmware. I used the UEFI version of sas2flash . Boot to UEFI shell and then erase the IR firmware with sas2flash.efi -o -e 6 (takes a couple of minutes) and then flash the IT firmware with sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

Last edited:
Reactions: Crazy Goat

Crazy Goat

Jun 7, 2016
This worked for me , download from here Support Documents and Downloads just search for 9211-8i firmware. I used the UEFI version of sas2flash . Boot to UEFI shell and then erase the IR firmware with sas2flash.efi -o -e 6 (takes a couple of minutes) and then flash the IT firmware with sas2flash.efi -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom
Thanks for the info and specifics. I ended up running the EFI version of SAS2FLASH and found that --listall returned no results. Definitely a dead HBA, so I reached out to the seller and he's mailed off a new one!

dmkovalev

Jan 30, 2017
Okay, so there is a 2 pin that is labeled BMC Disable. Do I jump that one? That is the one directly under the 10Gbe mezz card. If that's the one then I don't understand the instructions in the README. It says jump it 2-3 then back to 1-2, how is this possible with only 2 pins.
Hello, did you manage to restore BIOS?

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
More fan success: (I decommissioned a C2100, and the fans are PERFECT.

Nidec h80e12bua7-07t11. I replaced 3 of them, running around 3400RPM. (I left the one on the left hand side near the slots the stock fan because I have LSI Nytro's in there, and they run HOT)

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I wish these were still available for cheap. But now they're getting gouged by pdneiman.

Joe D

May 24, 2016
I've been running my Quanta as a file server for the past few years. It's been a great bargain, but decided to try to update the bios to support a pair of E5-2650 v2 procs. I was able to figure out the process to get V2 support. The nice part is that the system bios is in a holder that can be easily swapped.

I wanted to share my experience as this information is sorely lacking online, however please use care and ensure you backup your original rom .Bin image if you decide to try this. I am not to blame if you fry your system and anger your cat because you lost all of their cat pictures you downloaded.

You will not be able to complete this using the MegaRac BMC to complete this. It may be possible to still do this without removing the BIOS chip from the system, however I have not tested this route.

You will need the following:
128Mbit bios chip - I purchased some Winbond 25Q128JVFQ from Mouser
SPI Programmer - I used a CH341A Usb variant from Amazon or other source
SOP16 300mil Adapter - STAR-SOP 3 in 1 from Amazon or other source
CH341A Programmer software - This can be found online as free download
4A21 Bios from Quanta - You will want the newest version, yes the 16MBit variant

Shut down system, remove all power sources.
Pull out the BIOS chip (the first pin faces the CPUs, there is a small mark on the inside of the holder pointing to the first pin but it is hard to see).
Insert 64Mbit bios chip into CH341A programmer, using SOP16 adapter as necessary.
Make a copy of your original bios .bin file and save this!!!
Set your original 64Mbit bios chip aside somewhere safe!!!
Place new 128Mbit bios chip into CH341A programmer/adapter.
Erase and verify chip has been blanked with software.
Burn 4A21.bin (NOT the .rom) onto 128Mbit bios chip, validate against buffer to ensure it has been written properly.
Insert new 128Mbit bios chip into socket on motherboard - ensure pin 1 is facing towards the cpus.
Clear CMOS on system.
Power up system.
You may need to wait for several power cycles that the system will perform.
If all went well, your system should eventually show you a splash screen.

If you are unable to get this to work, you can always clear CMOS and place your original 64Mbit bios chip back into the system.

In the event this is helpful and further information is requested, please let me know and I will help if I am able to. This should also assist those who have a corrupted bios and are unable to get their system to power up.

Other notes:
The BMC chip is soldered to the motherboard. It is possible to swap this out and use a 254Mbit to allow for v7x BMC firmware (not tested), however after comparing against original firmware release notes it does not seem that there is any if much of a difference and not worth the effort.

Last edited:

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
bumping this due to me getting one in and time to play with.

Things to do:

1. UPdate the BIOS to 2018 version
2. Update the BMC
3. Quiet these FN fans down
4. Find rails
5. Find trays for the 2.5" drive
6. Install 40GBe mellanox cards in it.

small list of things

Last edited:

Usama

Jul 16, 2017
Hello,
Just got one of these need help with BMC
I can flash it to 3.76, bios shows it as 3.76 but cannot get web access. http is forwarded to https and no certs are sent. Same with https direct. This is not tolerated by any browser and I have been unable to find a workaround. I have tried almost everything I could think of without success.

Thank You

Code:
./socflash.sh if=rom.ima_enc option=cfr
ASPEED SOC Flash Utility v.1.09.02
Find ASPEED Device 1a03:2000 on a:0.0
Relacate IO Base: 5000
MMIO Virtual Address: a82cc000
Static Memory Controller Information:
CS0 Flash Type is SPI
CS1 Flash Type is SPI
CS2 Flash Type is NOR
CS3 Flash Type is NOR
CS4 Flash Type is NOR
Boot CS is 0
Option Information:
CS: 0
Flash Type: SPI
[Warning] Don't AC OFF or Reboot System During BMC Firmware Update!!
Find LPC IO port at 0x2e
[SOCFLASH] Flash ID : 1840ef
Find Flash Chip #1: WinbondW25Q128BV
Erasing Flash Chip #1
Erase Flash Chip O.K.   
Update Flash Chip #1 O.K.         
Update Flash Chip O.K.

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
Hi,

I could not access the downloads on the quantum site. Anybody knows where I can find the latest bios and BMC firmware?

Thanks!

snowzach

May 2, 2020
The Quanta BIOS Downloads are here: Download Center | QCT- Quanta Cloud Technology

I added a 2nd NVidia GPU to the system however when it booted, it used the NVidia GPU first which made the Console Redirection on the BMC/IPMI no longer work. I hoped that upgrading the BIOS would allow me to select which GPU to use. It didn't allow me to select but it did made the onboard GPU boot first either way.

However, with BIOS 4A21 you lose the ability to do VT-D for some reason. I tried a bunch of the 4A versions but the virtualization option allowed you only enable VT-X but no option to enable VT-D and it's force disabled for some silly reason.

I actually tried to put my old BIOS chip in to get VT-D back and the box wouldn't boot. Then I put the new BIOS chip in and it wouldn't boot. I thought I bricked it. It turns out to reset the BIOS, I had to move the CMOS clear jumper, remove the battery and unplug the power supplies from the MB and let it sit a good 5 minutes for the CMOS to clear out completely. Heads up if you ever need to do that.

Frustrated I started looking around and found BIOS 4B12 for the S210-X12RS (The 1U version of the S210-X22RU) and flashed it. That did the trick. The onboard GPU boots and it has VT-D enabled. I have 4 of these boxes now. Awesome machines.

Last edited: