Quanta 2ML Render Farm - rack, 10 dual e5-2670 and 10Gb switch $3850

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
Our servers are fully tested with CPU's and memory. This was purchased as our "Build your own server" . The order did not include any memory or CPU's and so the memory and CPU's were pulled. It was by mistake that the heat sinks did not ship with the order.
Thanks,
Pam
Makes perfect sense now, thanks Pam!

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Wonder how these were even tested before shipped if they didn't arrive with heatsinks on em.
mistakes happen, I wouldn't blame them.

Looking at prices I should have at least bought memory, they have a good deal on 8x8GB

NATEX

Natex Representative
Mar 7, 2016
mistakes happen, I wouldn't blame them.

Looking at prices I should have at least bought memory, they have a good deal on 8x8GB
Its not to late to order them. We can ship the memory with the heat sinks!

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
So got my heatsinks in.

I'm surprised at how quiet these are for 1u. Cooling isn't the best though. Fans spin down and cpu hits 73c. Which isn't horrible but not great. Might add some cooling to these as I build them out. Transitioning my esxi cluster over soon. I'll get wattage tomorrow.

I can't find ikvm options on the bmc webpage, looks like we dont get remote console.

Anyone know if the foxconn has iKVM?

Last edited:

illamint

Dec 25, 2015
I'm surprised at how quiet these are for 1u. Cooling isn't the best though. Fans spin down and cpu hits 73c. Which isn't horrible but not great. Might add some cooling to these as I build them out. Transitioning my esxi cluster over soon. I'll get wattage tomorrow.
Did you get the thermal paste application right? That seems awfully hot. Are these CPUs known to run hot?

AERuffy

Dec 12, 2013
Did you get the thermal paste application right? That seems awfully hot. Are these CPUs known to run hot?
Must have been a fluke or just the paste curing.

CPU0 Temp Normal 55 ° C
CPU1 Temp Normal 56 ° C
CPU0 DIMM Temp Normal 35 ° C
CPU1 DIMM Temp Normal 38 ° C
SSB Temp Normal 43 ° C
IBMC Temp Normal 41 ° C
LAN NIC Temp Normal 38 ° C
CPU1 VRD Temp Normal 37 ° C
EDGE Temp Normal 28 ° C
HDD BP Temp Normal 24 ° C
FP Temp Normal 24 ° C

Last edited:
Reactions: frogtech

nrtc

Dec 3, 2015
Very important question. Any just how many additional USB ports on the MB?
The motherboard has 2 USB2 ports on the back and (as far as I can see) no additional headers on the motherboard.

I believe the chipset should have 2 SATA3 ports, but I haven't got the drives to verify all the ports quickly. If you know a linux command to list all ports and their speed I'd be happy to run it for you.

The PCI slot is version 2. dmidecode lists it as PCI Express x16, but I'm a bit doubtful because the C600 chipset does not mention x16 support.

I've been running two of these systems from a USB stick and so far they have behaved very well. But if you need extensibility they may not be your best choice.

DaSaint

Oct 3, 2015
Colorado
Iir it's sata2 not 3 they were a pax something it might even be sata1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

BackupProphet

Jul 2, 2014
Stavanger, Norway
olavgg.com
Iir it's sata2 not 3 they were a pax something it might even be sata1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Ack, that means I need a controller for 4 SSD's.
And no PCIe v3 means degraded performance for NVMe. For example Intel P3700 is 4x PCIv3.

It is still great value, especially if you need the CPU power. For a high performance SQL database, I would look look/wait for alternatives.

NATEX

Natex Representative
Mar 7, 2016
The motherboard has 2 USB2 ports on the back and (as far as I can see) no additional headers on the motherboard.

I believe the chipset should have 2 SATA3 ports, but I haven't got the drives to verify all the ports quickly. If you know a linux command to list all ports and their speed I'd be happy to run it for you.

The PCI slot is version 2. dmidecode lists it as PCI Express x16, but I'm a bit doubtful because the C600 chipset does not mention x16 support.

I've been running two of these systems from a USB stick and so far they have behaved very well. But if you need extensibility they may not be your best choice.

Two on the back, one inside. If you order a riser you can put in a controller.

Reactions: BackupProphet

Flintstone

Jun 11, 2016
Shipped direct. Have never used jetcarrier before.. is that cheaper?
JetCarrier is nice when airfreight is too expensive, or dealing with the fees of DHL/UPS. Sometimes eBay Global Shipping is cheaper than JC though. But those 30kg server cases isn't suited for anything but boats :)

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
Anyone able to use DDR3-1600 or DDR3L-1600 on these Quanta QSSC-2ML?
My challenge is I need them to be quiet enough to be in a closet 15" away from my desk :) (under max ~prime95 load) I'm thinking I need to move to a 2u or 3u chassis.