napp-it afp on omnios

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
Hello:

I'm testing a few things with an eye toward using a full ZFS based OS as the base OS and hypervisor (to replace ESXi) and yesterday/today was OmniOS with napp-it running some VMs in KVM. Worked well I think so far, though I miss some management features of SmartOS.

I failed today with AFP though, which is a requirement. I installed it on the 'bloody' OmniOS release [SunOS omnios 5.11 omnios-c40692b i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris] using napp-it's wget installation and it gives me an error when trying to connect from a Mountain Lion OSX client:

There was a problem connecting to the server "omnios".
The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported.
... though it does show up in the OS X Finder sidebar like it should, and AFP works fine for me on my OpenIndiana napp-it setup, so probably something with OmniOS. I just thought I would report, to help Gea debug, or if I can give any additional info.

With logging set to debug the only thing I noticed as a possible issue was this, which could be nothing, I don't know:

Code:
Jan 15 19:57:27.874247 afpd[1237] {auth.c:1074} (D5:AFPDaemon): uam: loading (/usr/local/lib/netatalk//uams_dhx2.so)
Jan 15 19:57:27.874258 afpd[1237] {auth.c:1086} (I:AFPDaemon): uam: uam not found (status=-1)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I'm testing a few things with an eye toward using a full ZFS based OS as the base OS and hypervisor (to replace ESXi) and yesterday/today was OmniOS with napp-it running some VMs in KVM. Worked well I think so far, though I miss some management features of SmartOS.
Keep a log and share experiences here!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Hello:

I failed today with AFP though, which is a requirement. I installed it on the 'bloody' OmniOS release [SunOS omnios 5.11 omnios-c40692b i86pc i386 i86pc Solaris] using napp-it's wget installation and it gives me an error when trying to connect from a Mountain Lion OSX client:
]
You may test the current afp installer
(not fully tested, but seems to work with the package from http://scott.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/ )

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
Thanks for the tip, Gea, great to know about other repos.

I went back to a BE prior to Netatalk from you just to be safe. After CONSIDERABLE googling and guessing I figured out how to add Scott's repository and add the package. First I tried to download the .p5i file and install via that but could not figure out how. If anyone knows, that would be good to know. Also, though the visible text is correct, the link to his repo is wrong: says it's at /release but the link points to /stable which does not exist.

For those like me who need help on this sort of thing, here is what you do (as root I suppose):

Code:
# pkg set-authority -O http://scott.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/release uulm.mawi

# pkg refresh

# pkg install netatalk
(output not shown)

then this may also be needed; I did it, but it could have already been automatically enabled:

Code:
# svcadm enable /network/netatalk:default
You may wish to create a backup boot environment first, as my commands here do not do that automatically. MAN PKG to refine the commands!

But really, perhaps on 'bloody' you should not bother, as it did not work for me. AFPD was restarting itself every second (literally, from the logs) and I could not connect from OSX Mountain Lion and 'bonjour' was not showing the server. FYI, his package installs afp.conf into /etc rather than /usr/local/etc though the binaries are under /usr/local.

Maybe I should step back from 'bloody' and try stable!

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
The napp-it afp installer takes care about (also with the different afp.conf location) so it is working with the napp-it GUI
Just run wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp | perl

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I'll assume Gea you mean to do that on OmniOS Stable. I'm on Bloody and as I noted at the top of this thread your installer did not quite work. However just in case you updated something I decided to try again and I'm getting the same result as 'Scott':

Code:
Last login: Wed Jan 16 22:07:32 2013 from 10.0.3.201
OmniOS 5.11     omnios-c40692b  2012.12.28
root@omnios:~# svcs -xv
svc:/network/netatalk:default (Netatalk AFP Server)
 State: maintenance since January 16, 2013 10:14:41 PM GMT
Reason: Restarting too quickly.
   See: http://illumos.org/msg/SMF-8000-L5
   See: /var/svc/log/network-netatalk:default.log
Impact: This service is not running.

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
Wait a moment... I think the install was messed up due to me having some other repositories enabled???

---update--- after rolling back the BE and being sure that I did not have pkg.thetube.ch or uulm.mawi in my 'publishers' I got the same error. Probably I need some sleep.

take a look:

Code:
Creating Plan /                       
pkg install: The requested change to the system attempts to install multiple actions
for dir 'usr/local' with conflicting attributes:

1 package delivers 'dir group=sys mode=0755 owner=root path=usr/local':
        pkg://pkg.thetube.ch/OmniOSnano@2.2.6,5.11:20120811T081327Z
    3 packages deliver 'dir group=bin mode=0755 owner=root path=usr/local':
        pkg://uulm.mawi/database/bdb@4.8.30,5.11-0.151004:20121211T210142Z
        pkg://uulm.mawi/library/libevent@2.0.20,5.11-0.151004:20121211T211808Z
        pkg://uulm.mawi/service/network/netatalk@3.0.1,5.11-0.151004:20121211T212532Z

These packages may not be installed together.  Any non-conflicting set may
be, or the packages must be corrected before they can be installed.

The requested change to the system attempts to install multiple actions
for dir 'usr/local/share' with conflicting attributes:

1 package delivers 'dir group=bin mode=0755 owner=root path=usr/local/share':
    1 package delivers 'dir group=sys mode=0755 owner=root path=usr/local/share':

The requested change to the system attempts to install multiple actions
for dir 'usr/local/bin' with conflicting attributes:

1 package delivers 'dir group=sys mode=0755 owner=root path=usr/local/bin':
    3 packages deliver 'dir group=bin mode=0755 owner=root path=usr/local/bin':
        pkg://uulm.mawi/database/bdb@4.8.30,5.11-0.151004:20121211T210142Z
        pkg://uulm.mawi/library/libevent@2.0.20,5.11-0.151004:20121211T211808Z

option: delete old be netatatalk 3.0.1
Destroyed successfully

4.0 ready

######################################

-thats it, AFP is installed, have fun
     -connect your browser to [url]http://serverip:81[/url]

######################################

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
What have you done for this error?

In my wget afp installer (wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp | perl) i do
Code:
pkg set-publisher -g http://scott.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/release uulm.mawi
pkg install netatalk
pkg unset-publisher uulm.mawi
This removes the uulm.mawi after setup of netatalk (pkg publisher gives only the default omni repo)
The netatalk from this repo seems to work fine on bloody and stable

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
My 'morning fresh' brain noticed that the problem must be that I had previously installed Nano from that 'thetube' repo and he sets group=sys on some /usr/local folders whereas uulm.mawi sets group=bin.

Though I did remove that repo before installing, I did not remove the Nano package. I'll see if I can clean it up and try again. If not, I could start over and reinstall everything.

Your AFP installer grabs Nano anyway, doesn't it?

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Your AFP installer grabs Nano anyway, doesn't it?
No, the afp installer installs only netatalk.
The base napp-it installer installs midnight commander (editor and file browser).

b0bb

Oct 30, 2012
I believe gea's script downloads netatalk and builds it locally.

Netatalk needs libgcrypt present before it will build uams_dhx2.so.
On my box it is libgcrypt.so.11.7.0

Check that the libgcrypt package is present in your installation.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I believe gea's script downloads netatalk and builds it locally.

Netatalk needs libgcrypt present before it will build uams_dhx2.so.
On my box it is libgcrypt.so.11.7.0

Check that the libgcrypt package is present in your installation.
Even with libgcrypt, netatalk does not complile properly on OmniOS
At the end, the current afp installer uses netatalk from the repo of the University Ulm
http://scott.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/ where you find a working netatalk 3.01 for Omni
among other nice storage related things (smartmontools 6 and Samba 4)

Carts

Feb 28, 2014
Even with libgcrypt, netatalk does not complile properly on OmniOS
At the end, the current afp installer uses netatalk from the repo of the University Ulm
OmniOS Package Repository: uulm.mawi where you find a working netatalk 3.01 for Omni
among other nice storage related things (smartmontools 6 and Samba 4)
Want to say a big thank you to gea for your work on Napp-it. I recently built a small home NAS, and its made setting it up a breeze. If I could ask anyone who knows how, how do I install or replace OmniOS SMB1 CIFS implementation with SAMBA4.1.5. I'm using OSX Mavericks as my main desktop environment, and they have made a move from AFP to SMB2.x. Would there be any benefit from using SAMBA4 on my NAS. What I like most about OSX and AFP is that all the network shares are already mounted in finder as soon as they appear (I assume because of bonjour). My CIFS shares though, I have to connect each time manually. Would upgrading to SAMBA4 have any effect on this?

Thanks in advance.

Carts