EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I'm trying to figure out the cabling lol..

This unit (QSFP+) -> Serveraid M5210 (SFF-8643) mini-SaS . So that require's Two QSFP+ -> SFF-8643 cables and i'm set.

So something like: Amphenol 605300001 3.0Meter Mini-SAS To QSFP+ Terminator Cable at Preciolandia United Kingdom ?
Looks good - I bought this. Yours is a better shout from a cost perspective, I might buy one of those!

Cablematic - Cable QSFP + SFF-8436 to SFF-8088 MiniSAS 1m: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
Looks good - I bought this. Yours is a better shout from a cost perspective, I might buy one of those!

Cablematic - Cable QSFP + SFF-8436 to SFF-8088 MiniSAS 1m: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
Yeah, have to find a good case for my dual xeon ( runs in a Define R5 now....) and a fitting rack mount as well xD

EDIT: According to your link QSFP = 8436. So my connection is just QSFP to QSFP ... they offer those cables for 10-16 £ (e.g. 1.5 m mellanox 498385-B27-V-A2 QSFP to QSFP sff 8436-8436 passive copper cable)

Last edited:

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Yeah, have to find a good case for my dual xeon ( runs in a Define R4 now....) and a fitting rack mount as well xD
Xcase I suppose but they aren't cheap if you go down the pro route. Or wait for a used supermicro / chenbro to hit ebay. Trouble is they can be loud - need to tame them otherwise you get it in the ear every so often like the missus does with me :)

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Did you get it delivered and try it with SATA drives.

I'm interesed in one or maybe two of these units. But the manual has an interesting bit in it about SATA drives.
https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/4U60-Storage-Enclosure-User-Guide.pdf
bottom of page on item 6.1 said:
The 4U60 Storage Enclosure does not support SATA drives. In the event that a SATA drive is installed, the expander does not enable the physical layer to link to the drive. No attempt at SSP discovery is made. The SES Page 02 Array Device Slot instance corresponding to a SATA drive is reported with an Element Status Code of Critical.
Now I have seen the screenshot you have attached to your first message. But did you have a chance to really try it for yourself and stresstest everything a bit? Since the manual is quite specific about SATA drives.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Did you get it delivered and try it with SATA drives.

I'm interesed in one or maybe two of these units. But the manual has an interesting bit in it about SATA drives.
https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/4U60-Storage-Enclosure-User-Guide.pdf

Now I have seen the screenshot you have attached to your first message. But did you have a chance to really try it for yourself and stresstest everything a bit? Since the manual is quite specific about SATA drives.
Yes I read that which is why I asked for the vendor to test (which they did twice) and the testing I have done. But I have done no other test other than what I have shown above. So yes it could fall over in a heap when I actually do something or when I add a second drive - I haven't had the chance to do anything else with them (and won't have until next weekend now at the earliest). For the price I was willing to take the risk. Worst case I wait until SAS drives become cheaper :)

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Yes I read that which is why I asked for the vendor to test (which they did twice) and the testing I have done. But I have done no other test other than what I have shown above. So yes it could fall over in a heap when I actually do something or when I add a second drive - I haven't had the chance to do anything else with them (and won't have until next weekend now at the earliest). For the price I was willing to take the risk. Worst case I wait until SAS drives become cheaper :)
I bit the bullit and ordered one. Like you said All SAS is an option :)

Reactions: ecosse

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
It's 100cm long. I'd guess you need a extra deep rack for this?
Very troublesome to find an enclosure lol... Although they list 38.7" (incl. cable management) ... what is it without cable management? .... The cabinet I've been eyeballin supports up to 36.02" APC NetShelter SX 24U 600mm x 1070mm Deep Enclosure

Yet the manual on: https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/4U60-Storage-Enclosure-User-Guide.pdf says:

• Height: 6.88" (174.8mm)
  • Width: 16.69" (424mm)
  • Depth: 33.5" (850mm)
And according to that manual, it is indeed the latter ( and 38.7" if we mount that cable management thing)

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
From the https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/4U60-Storage-Enclosure-DS.pdf

Some models refer 512e sector size or 4Kn
Do you think it's only about which integrated drives that comes with it ? or if it's an hardware requirement of the unit (depending of it's model number) ?
Just the drives that come with it. The SAS Expander in the box could care less.

Mine arrived today.
Its pretty big, Without the cable management arm attached the enclosure itself measures 87cm.
Dont have QSFP+ to SAS cables in yet. So will have to wait to do tests until they do.
Did turn it on, Started out really loud but then the fans started to go down in speed.
The noise is quite acceptable for me.
Some more pictures for those who are interested,

IMG_4975.JPG IMG_4985.JPG IMG_4981.JPG IMG_4983.JPG IMG_4976.JPG IMG_4979.JPG

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
it's seem to have 2 distincts "rear" module with each 2 QSFP connectors.
That mean you can link 16 SAS3 ports (4 x 4) ?
If it's the case and you want to connect all ports, you need 2 9300-8e :-/ ouch

Someone know if some of theses ports are only used for HA or they are also used for performance ?

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016

Someone know if some of theses ports are only used for HA or they are also used for performance ?
Mine arrives Monday, but I already received 2 QSFP connectors xD... And 1 9300 on the way.. Could always fill left side (30) and next year fill the other once the 9300 drops in price haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016

Its dual ported sas, thats why the 2 module.
each module has an uplink and downlink port.
Depending on how they configured the SAS Expander. It might be able to dual link it on one module. Some are hardcoded tho.
My supermicro 847 backplanes dont care which port I use for uplink.
Ill try it when my cables arrive.

Mine arrives Monday, but I already received 2 QSFP connectors xD... And 1 9300 on the way.. Could always fill left side (30) and next year fill the other once the 9300 drops in price haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha, I'm starting out with 26x8TB and will grow from there.

Reactions: Chuntzu