1.6TB Intel DC P3605 (P3600) - $800

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
I found one of these cheap on ebay a while back. Did not experience the performance in ESXi as I would have liked to see. (And yes, I tried the Intel drivers and have a PCIe 3.0 chipset)

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
All these will be obsolete soon. As Intel is developing Universal memory.

In near future we will not have Ram and solid state storage. It will all be one. What Intel is able to do is to make ram/memory that store data as well.

Interesting stuff

unclerunkle

Mar 2, 2011
Wisconsin
All these will be obsolete soon. As Intel is developing Universal memory.

In near future we will not have Ram and solid state storage. It will all be one. What Intel is able to do is to make ram/memory that store data as well.

Interesting stuff
I presume you're referring to 3D XPoint? 3D XPoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was under the impression that XPoint would still be based on traditional form factors like PCIe, M.2, SATA Express, etc.

I know Sandisk a while back showed off their memory slot based SSD, the ULLtra-DIMM. SanDisk ULLtraDIMM DDR3 400GB SSD Enterprise Review Is this where you're saying 3D XPoint is headed?

tuatara

Mar 2, 2016
FYI - the part number 7090698 indicates these are branded Sun/Oracle accelerators so they may have different firmware.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
FYI - the part number 7090698 indicates these are branded Sun/Oracle accelerators so they may have different firmware.
Yea they are but they seem to work fine in standard servers (tried Dell and Supermicro thus far)

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
I presume you're referring to 3D XPoint? 3D XPoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was under the impression that XPoint would still be based on traditional form factors like PCIe, M.2, SATA Express, etc.

I know Sandisk a while back showed off their memory slot based SSD, the ULLtra-DIMM. SanDisk ULLtraDIMM DDR3 400GB SSD Enterprise Review Is this where you're saying 3D XPoint is headed?

Yes. IBM is also doing their own things based on FeRAM: Ferroelectric RAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

neeyuese

Feb 28, 2015
No smart info.
no warranty

Intel ssd toolbox and data center tool can't display life reaming info due to the OEM firmware.

These drives have Intel warranty.

IMG_2879.JPG

Intel sent a replaced drive due to firmware bug on RA12 version cause driver run into Disable Logical ASSERT Mode. The latest firmware is RA13.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Interesting, I'd never heard of them sending replacement for an OEM drive.

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
For once I'm happy they have import costs, at $200+ extra ... the deal is less tempting, saving me money xD