Besides Dell PowerConnect, what other switches with free firmware?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Aug 2, 2015
I'm in the market for some used 10G SFP+ switches off eBay, and thus far I've only experiences with Dell PowerConnect switches. Downloading firmware upgrades are easy without support contracts. Any other brands to recommend now that HP Procurve is out of the picture too?

TIA!

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
The Mikrotik switches have free firmware. They only have 2 10G ports, but they are not expensive even new.

leonroy

Oct 6, 2015
...now that HP Procurve is out of the picture too?
I keep seeing news reports of HP putting firmware behind a paywall but I have yet to experience that for any HP kit I've used. Firmware for the Procurve 2810, 1920 and 1810 units are all freely downloadable as are updates for all the Proliant G6, G7 and G8 servers I've had to configure. Some of these items are close to a good 10+ years old.

ruffy91

Oct 6, 2012
Switzerland
I keep seeing news reports of HP putting firmware behind a paywall but I have yet to experience that for any HP kit I've used. Firmware for the Procurve 2810, 1920 and 1810 units are all freely downloadable as are updates for all the Proliant G6, G7 and G8 servers I've had to configure. Some of these items are close to a good 10+ years old.
It only applies to new equipment. Everything they sold before their new policy still gets free updates.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
I've never owned any of the Netgear "Pro" equipment but their home / small business stuff does have free upgrades.
My experience with netgear is that over time they release multiple revisions of product where each has different firmware. And guess what... they keep only the newest up to date.