Lenovo ThinkPad P50 Mobile Workstation Review

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 8, 2015
I've had this machine for a couple months and I'm loving it. Anyone considering purchasing this machine who requires linux should be aware that linux support on it isn't all there yet. Unless you're very comfortable with Linux you may want to hold off for a few months. Definitely usable but there is some finagling and tweaking that needs to be done. Great review.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I have been using it for a couple months. I have some weird quirks with the dock, the fingerprint reader doesn't always activate coming out of sleep, and the screen while beautiful is a little small for 4k resolution I am in my 20's and have issues using it sometimes and scaling issues. It is a beast though with that xeon and nvme ssd.

May 8, 2015
I have been using it for a couple months. I have some weird quirks with the dock, the fingerprint reader doesn't always activate coming out of sleep, and the screen while beautiful is a little small for 4k resolution I am in my 20's and have issues using it sometimes and scaling issues. It is a beast though with that xeon and nvme ssd.
I too am in my 20's and agree with you that the screen is a bit small for 4k. I find myself squinting at tiny text quite often, especially inside of VMs. I have the xeon as well and its nice but did they ever figure out the ecc memory issue? I also had issues with the memory controller not downclocking faster memory as it should so I had to return a few sets of memory before realizing I just had to go with 2133. I got a 2.5hdd version swapped that out for 1tb 850pro and installed two samsung 950 pro nvmes so I should be set for a while. I don't use the fingerprint scanner so I cant really speak to any issues with that.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
I too am in my 20's and agree with you that the screen is a bit small for 4k. I find myself squinting at tiny text quite often, especially inside of VMs. I have the xeon as well and its nice but did they ever figure out the ecc memory issue? I also had issues with the memory controller not downclocking faster memory as it should so I had to return a few sets of memory before realizing I just had to go with 2133. I got a 2.5hdd version swapped that out for 1tb 850pro and installed two samsung 950 pro nvmes so I should be set for a while. I don't use the fingerprint scanner so I cant really speak to any issues with that.
I have the one 950 pro with a 1tb spinny drive. I am not using ECC in it yet, just haven't gotten around to ordering more memory for the thing yet so no experience with that issue.

William

May 7, 2015
I also have this issue with 4K screens but having my glasses updated so I hope that will help with that.

Somethings can help with that, making Icons and text larger on the desktop and Edge helps a lot. But some programs like Photoshop are very difficult as the tooltips and menu items become very small and hard to see. Some games do not scale the GUI's either which is a pain.

But over all I would not go back to lower res screens if I could help it, I love them.

Some games like Star Citizen need some serious GPU punch to run full detail at 4K, I use 2x Titan Blacks and they cannot handle it unless I lower screen res and details.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
i have a lenovo carbon x1 at work with a usb3 dock and it is the worst. Also the keyboard is rubbery and spongy and sucks.
Which version of the Carbon X1? I had one when I was doing consulting and loved it (but I was on a plane all the time.)

William

May 7, 2015
I reviewed an X1 just before I came to STH and found the keyboard to be very much like all Lenovo's lineup from the W540 to P70's, I like it.
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Business Ultrabook (3rd Gen)

Much of this is personal preferences tho. what I like others may not. I go nuts over keyboard/mice and takes me a long to time to get used to things. I have settled on a STRIKE 7 keyboard and RAT 7 mouse. I cannot stand switch type keyboards as they make a lot of noise but gamers love them.

Lenovo has come a long way with the trackpads also, they are actually pretty good now compared to say the W540's. I no longer just plug in a USB mouse and not use the pad and I am picky about this stuff.

Yes Titan Blacks are getting old HAHAA. I would love some new GPU's... some day...

Reactions: gigatexal

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I've been deploying more thinkpads at my office after using them at previous employers between the 3 we have now we're looking to get more and they've all been fantastic(currently x1 yoga, s1 yoga 12 and a t450s) I haven't used the usb dock only the actual docks using the onelink connector on the yogas and the connector with the bottom of the 450. I'd love to see a review of the P40 as i was just quoting one for our graphic design person. None of them are as nice as my late 80's model m to type on but they're all fantastic as far as laptops go though far better than any of the other systems i've used.

Reactions: William

William

May 7, 2015
I have a feeling a P40 might be in the works, I have no eta on that tho. If that does happen I will try and get a dock to go with it.

William

May 7, 2015
I have to tell you that the P70 I had here was about the nicest laptop I have ever used, it was a pure beast. I think I shed a few tears when it came time for it to go back :(

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
"Normally laptops do not run SQL servers with heavy disk I/O for months"

With the difficulties I've been having getting my employer to buy a dev server...