Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kovadlo

May 4, 2016
I have a trouble with updating bios/me (F03A3A07).
I flashed bios/me on 5 nodes successfully and with one node trouble.
W2008R2 execute BIOS_win64.cmd then ME_win64.cmd (fans cooler is maximum)>> manual restart server >> waiting about 6 minutes (fans cooler is maximum), it doesn't reboot >> so I turned off it by the power button. After the turn it on . Seems is ok, but it doesn't go to bios or even apear screen or "NumLock".
When it on or off I can make ping.
Have anybody any idea?

Reactions: ArcyneTheFirst

mrseth1

Apr 19, 2016
That happened to me on a node. I had to unplug the node, and clear the cmos (jumper to pin 2-3 close to the battery). Then I turned it on, and the quanta splash screen came up. I unplugged again, and returned the jumped to the regular position (1-2). Boot normal afterwards.

macrules34

Mar 18, 2016
@DonJon

Would it be possible to power two of these systems (4 total nodes) off one ATX power supply?

Last edited:

Kovadlo

May 4, 2016
That happened to me on a node. I had to unplug the node, and clear the cmos (jumper to pin 2-3 close to the battery). Then I turned it on, and the quanta splash screen came up. I unplugged again, and returned the jumped to the regular position (1-2). Boot normal afterwards.
Unplug the node >> jumper to pin 2-3 >> plug the node. It doesnt power up, only blue led light. No pings. It consume 2w.
Unplug the node >> jumper back to pin 1-2 >> plug the node. It power up, Can do pings. First 10 second it consume 70-90w, then 180-185w. Dont boot.

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
@DonJon

Would it be possible to power two of these systems (4 total nodes) off one ATX power supply?

You mean you dont use the stock psu but a standard atx psu?

The board only use 12v so make sure your psu 12v rail can output minimum 55A.

Also its best to use single 12v rail psu. Mutiple rail will requires careful wiring not to overload one rail ( typically 18A)

Last edited:

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
If you have a super beefy PSU you might get away with 4 nodes on 1 ATX PSU but if you maxed out all 4 nodes at once you will most likely overload it. Realistically you should be able to find something that can run 3 nodes but that fourth kinda puts you over.

It would be hard to find something that would pull over 80% of a 15 amp 110v plug so you are looking at 1320 watts. Then you have to figure the inefficiency of the PSU itself and the amount of power it is dedicating to the 5v and 3.3v rails. You would need 112amps on the 12v rail which is 1344 watts just on the 12v rail. So while a 1200 watt PSU would probably run it most of the time it is worth it? Personally I am just using a $50 transformer with the stock PSU until I move and install a dedicated 220v drop for my rack.

ArcyneTheFirst

Jan 22, 2016
The best part is that I ordered 4 x E5-2660 but I received 4 x E5-2670. May be you will receive a pot of gold when you order some screws if you are lucky. who knows? But I'm happy and I kept quiet and I should have kept quiet here but I let it out ;)
My box came in the first configuration, 10gig card no riser. After the thread I emailed the seller esisoinc and they said they would ship me the missing risers. Haven't gotten them yet but thought that I would report that they seemed open to making it right for me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tbkdan

May 2, 2016
I ordered the $199 esiso Quanta config and received PCIe risers, disk trays, BIOS battery, heatsinks, C14 power cable connected to the 200-277v PSU, no mezz card, no shroud.

The disk trays look like pretty standard 3.5" removable drive caddies - I don't have any available to test but I wouldn't be surprised if something like a Dell desktop drive caddy worked. I can't find a part number printed anywhere on it at all.

The PCIe riser part number is DA0F03TB4C1 rev C, made by Quanta Computer.

Attachments

jason879

Feb 28, 2016
I ordered the $199 esiso Quanta config and received PCIe risers, disk trays, BIOS battery, heatsinks, C14 power cable connected to the 200-277v PSU, no mezz card, no shroud.

The disk trays look like pretty standard 3.5" removable drive caddies - I don't have any available to test but I wouldn't be surprised if something like a Dell desktop drive caddy worked. I can't find a part number printed anywhere on it at all.

The PCIe riser part number is DA0F03TB4C1 rev C, made by Quanta Computer.

Yesterday I got exactly the same as you from esiso with no mezz card and shroud.

Upload the hd tray picture, it looks standard desktop hdd tray.

I had some trouble to boot it with HD5450 graphic card as someone mentioned earlier. Tried clear BIOS jump and remove the battery, the blue led stays on with no display. With out the HD5450 I can get the NUM-LOCK on after one minute.

Will try swapping the cpu and node later today.

Attachments

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
Just found out the seller of Wiwynn SV7210 raised the list price by $50 (now listed as $279). I think there is still wiggle room with BO but not sure how much. This almost made the Quanta a better deal with its continuing support for BIOS files etc.
FWIW, I just bought 4 of the SV7210s from the same seller, and he was willing to sell for $200 each and to allow local pickup here in the Bay Area. Didn't require any haggling at all. Seems like a great person to do business with - very pleasant.

Reactions: crotaphiticus

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
FWIW, I just bought 4 of the SV7210s from the same seller, and he was willing to sell for $200 each and to allow local pickup here in the Bay Area. Didn't require any haggling at all. Seems like a great person to do business with - very pleasant.
I should also mention that I did this outside eBay but through PayPal.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
At the risk of asking a noob question: should I expect any memory compatibility issues with these systems? After some searching I haven't found a "memory compatibility list" or similar but suspect one may exist somewhere.

If no general rule exists, posting any experience with 8GB or 16GB dimms working in your system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dvae

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
I am running 4 of these in one of my nodes in my Quanta system: HMT31GR7BFR4A-H9
And 8 of these in the other: HMT151R7BFR4C

Last edited:
Reactions: WeekendWarrior

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
Oh my....,

Aren't shrouds required for proper cooling?

When i ordered them i did ask them to confirm the shrouds are included.

I'm currently on a trip , the package is delivered to my home. I will check as soon as i got home

svt3391

Feb 11, 2016
At the risk of asking a noob question: should I expect any memory compatibility issues with these systems? After some searching I haven't found a "memory compatibility list" or similar but suspect one may exist somewhere.

If no general rule exists, posting any experience with 8GB or 16GB dimms working in your system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dvae
I am using the Nanya sold by Natex.us and they worked very well. So far their price is the best for all memory I bought. Their website may not have the 64GB for $85 but it won't hurt to give them a call and ask.

aquarapid

Apr 20, 2016
Upload the hd tray picture, it looks standard desktop hdd tray.
Thanks for the pic; I tried some of the "clip-on" plastic hdd rails, but it turned out to be a few millimeters too narrow. I'll see if I can find some other rails/trays to try.

tbkdan

May 2, 2016

Thanks
Dvae
Check out section 4.3 (pg 8) of this spec doc. You'll get the best performance out of single or dual ranked 1.5v ECC registered (RDIMM) RAM in dual-channel config (since it's the only supported config for 1600) but there are several supported configs.

upload_2016-5-12_7-5-11.png

Oh my....,

Aren't shrouds required for proper cooling?

When i ordered them i did ask them to confirm the shrouds are included.

I'm currently on a trip , the package is delivered to my home. I will check as soon as i got home
I'm pretty sure as long as something is on top to enclose and direct airflow it shouldn't be a problem. I'd definitely prefer to have them though, so please let me know if there's a part number on them :)