E3-1230v2 on X9SCM-F (w/ BIOS 2.0b)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RyanPR

Dec 12, 2012
As the title implies, I have a SuperMicro X9SCM-F with the current BIOS. I have both an E3-1230 (Sandy Bridge) and an E3-1230v2 (Ivy Bridge). The 1230 works fine in the board. The 1230v2 won't even post, no beeps, nothing (although CPU fan turns on). I'd just keep the 1230 in there and call it a day, but that processor was being borrowed from another server to test the board. I'm using DDR3-1333 ECC (unbuffered) RAM.

SuperMicro support had me reflash the BIOS and I have the same result. I've tried two different 1230v2 chips.

Any suggestions on getting the 1230v2 to work in the board?

Thanks,
Ryan

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
I've built over a thousand servers with the exact same board without any issues and this is totally new to me... You did everything right with the correct BIOS and all. It's usually the case with either non-ECC or ECC Registered DIMMs but yours (ECC UDIMM) works with Sandy Bridge and I'm lost. This shouldn't be happening.

Do keep me posted if you get a solution to this or cause for that matter. I would love to know what caused this.

If I have to guess, though highly unlikely, you have two bad 1230V2.

Last edited:

RyanPR

Dec 12, 2012
Hey, thanks for the quick response. So with that in mind, would you swap out the motherboard? The only part I don't know works is the 1230v2, however, I've tried 2 of them now (1st was exchanged as a DOA as I assumed that was the issue since it all worked w/ the 1230). RAM kind of works or doesn't, same with the PSU. I currently don't have anything else plugged into it.

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
I don't think there's anything wrong with your motherboard. If if works with Sandy Bridge then it should work with Ivy Bridge with your BIOS. It used to be that you had to use a SB chip to flash the BIOS to support IB chips on the older motherboards that shipped with older BIOS. This would be the case where your IB chips will not boot and SB will with the older BIOS but you have the latest BIOS so you're good. If it didn't work with SB chip then I would say it's the board but it shouldn't boot with one and not with the other.

RyanPR

Dec 12, 2012
So I purchased another X9SCM-F at lunch. And I'm having the same outcome. Is there any jumper I need to switch to allow the Ivy Bridge CPU?

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have used a few (not thousands like supermacro though) and have not seen this. Most boards these days are coming with the newest

Here's a crazy idea... can you use the V1 to flash to 2.0a and try that? Seems really strange though. The X9SCM-F is super popular as is the Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 so I would imagine this has been done countless times. Really weird to see two have issues.

RyanPR

Dec 12, 2012
I have used a few (not thousands like supermacro though) and have not seen this. Most boards these days are coming with the newest

Here's a crazy idea... can you use the V1 to flash to 2.0a and try that? Seems really strange though. The X9SCM-F is super popular as is the Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 so I would imagine this has been done countless times. Really weird to see two have issues.
I just booted the new board with the Sandy Bridge processor to make sure it was on BIOS 2. And it's actually on 2.0a (instead of b). So at this point I've tested BIOS 2.0a&b.

At this point I think I'm just going to return the Ivy Bridge, purchase another Sandy Bridge and hope everything works. This isn't worth this much time.

This has been a super frustrating first experience with Supermicro.

supermacro

Aug 31, 2012
It really shouldn't be happening. I switched to X9SCL+-F board after discovering that two different NICs on the X9SCM-F was causing issues under Linux but there's a workaround so I still use it because it's cheap with two SATA3. I mainly use X9SCM-iiF now but as I said earlier I think the only culprit left is the V2 CPUs. But then again I've never had a bad Intel CPU in about 10 years now so that's strange, too.

Where are you located, RyanPR? I'm in San Jose and if you're close by then perhaps I can take a look. I can even bring in my V2 :)

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
The CPU's are not Engineering Samples ?

A friend with an ASRock LGA1155 Mobo ? (ASRock are good for Xeon support on consumer boards)
You could test a CPU in there

I live in NZ about as likely a visit from SM as you are :D

Artzig

Dec 15, 2012
Have you tried the IvyBridge in the motherboard with no RAM at all to see if you get the 5(?) beeps on POST? Can't remember if that function is a motherboard/chipset function or needs a CPU for it?

I've usually also shorted out the contacts of the coin cell after removing it to clear the BIOS as sometimes some circuits will hold charge for a long time after the battery has gone, they are low power after all. The manual also mentions a CMOS clear jumper too I think?

RyanPR

Dec 12, 2012
Have you tried the IvyBridge in the motherboard with no RAM at all to see if you get the 5(?) beeps on POST? Can't remember if that function is a motherboard/chipset function or needs a CPU for it?

I've usually also shorted out the contacts of the coin cell after removing it to clear the BIOS as sometimes some circuits will hold charge for a long time after the battery has gone, they are low power after all. The manual also mentions a CMOS clear jumper too I think?
Yeah, tried without RAM, no beeps. I get beeps with the sandy bridge without RAM.

Also tried shorting the battery contacts. And, no, not an engineering sample.

Thanks for the ideas and help guys, it looks like this will be a sandy bridge build for me.