X9DAi: Windows 10 BSOD ACPI_BIOS_ERROR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Anyone have one and have Windows 10 on it? I keep getting an ACPI error(ACPI_BIOS_ERROR) when trying to install. Windows 7 is working fine, I guess I can be "stuck" there. On the latest 3.2 BIOS.
TIA

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Anyone have one and have Windows 10 on it? I keep getting an ACPI error(ACPI_BIOS_ERROR) when trying to install. Windows 7 is working fine, I guess I can be "stuck" there. On the latest 3.2 BIOS.
TIA
Just ordered one..2 place those damm cheap 2670's in and will run W10, so did a quick check, there are others having issues with this board, win 8, windows server 2012 as well..didnt see the "cure" yet..will let you know how i go next week..

Eiktyrner

Aug 2, 2011

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
@TType85 Did you just do the upgrade from within windows? The total lack of google hits makes me think this is not a common problem. I flashed that BIOS on before I started all of this, maybe I should try it again.

@Eiktyrner I have used two quad channel sets of 4GB stick DDR3-1600 non-ECC, 16x 4GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Reg ECC, and 8x 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Reg ECC.

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
@TType85 Did you just do the upgrade from within windows? The total lack of google hits makes me think this is not a common problem. I flashed that BIOS on before I started all of this, maybe I should try it again.

@Eiktyrner I have used two quad channel sets of 4GB stick DDR3-1600 non-ECC, 16x 4GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Reg ECC, and 8x 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Reg ECC.
I did a fresh install from my MSDN ISO download. It had zero issues. I would maybe make a new install and try again.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Yeah, I have tried it every way I can think of. I sent an email to Supermicro support, I'll see what comes from that.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
Set your ACPI mode to S1, the board seems a bit more finicky when in S3. Power off the machine. Start it up and install Windows like this:

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - FAQ Entry

I don't own the X9DAI, but installing those drivers helped solve some resume from sleep problems for me.

Tai Shan

Feb 18, 2016
TIA
I also have this problem in the same addition.

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I don't know where in the process this happens but I suggest you try following what I posted and share your results.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
I can confirm the method Davewolfs mentioned above worked great for me one Windows 10. I contacted Supermicro support, and unfortunately, they mentioned the only way to do this properly is after a fresh install as the FAQ mentions.

Reactions: Davewolfs

jsuh1993

Feb 28, 2016
TIA
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! I just joined this forum just so I can ask the OP what he tried...

X9DRG-QF

Initially, I was able to install Windows 10, under 1.0b version of bios. I decided to update to 3.2 version bios (without first updating IPMI firmware to 2.0+ before getting a bios version that is 2.0+ as per instruction..). Upon bios update at the end, there as message on the DOS saying - Error when sending enable message to ME. I also tried with 3.0b and 2.0 version bios, but exactly same issue with the bios update at the end. My actual bios information would show that updates were successful each time... I was later able to successfully update IPMI firmware to 2.0+. I still get the same error message with bios update at the end. I am not sure if this has any relationship...

With any of these 2.0+ bios, including 3.2, I cannot even launch the Windows setup for 8.1 or 10 in the first place. I will see the Windows wheel come on and rotate like half a circle and give me the error code exactly the same. So other's method to try to install without LAN connected is nonsense... Windows 7 installation process actually works! I didn't get to actually install the 7 and see if I can actually boot the bios. Win 8.1 and 10 were all tried using bootable USB - and these are 100% perfect bootable USB setup, nothing wrong with ISO or USB themselves.

I also have a drive that already has Win 10 installed from another machine. When I try to load that up, I get the same error message right away, as soon as Windows takes over from bios post.

With logical deduction, knowing that bios 1.0b allowed Windows 10 to initially install, and the fact that there is no hardware or bios settings change, the issue I think has to do with the bios itself. Bios versions 2.0, 3.0b, and 3.2 are not letting me install Windows 8.1 or 10 on both legacy and UEFI methods. I cannot find bios 1.0b version online to reflash to retest installing Win 10. I also played around with every combination of bios settings available, multiple USB drives, etc. Really with no hardware change, somehow these "new" bios or bios updates are locking the systems down from installing Win 8.1 or 10.

I did not get a chance to talk to Supermicro yet.

Anyone else have any idea what I can try??? Thanks!

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! I just joined this forum just so I can ask the OP what he tried...

X9DRG-QF

Initially, I was able to install Windows 10, under 1.0b version of bios. I decided to update to 3.2 version bios (without first updating IPMI firmware to 2.0+ before getting a bios version that is 2.0+ as per instruction..). Upon bios update at the end, there as message on the DOS saying - Error when sending enable message to ME. I also tried with 3.0b and 2.0 version bios, but exactly same issue with the bios update at the end. My actual bios information would show that updates were successful each time... I was later able to successfully update IPMI firmware to 2.0+. I still get the same error message with bios update at the end. I am not sure if this has any relationship...

With any of these 2.0+ bios, including 3.2, I cannot even launch the Windows setup for 8.1 or 10 in the first place. I will see the Windows wheel come on and rotate like half a circle and give me the error code exactly the same. So other's method to try to install without LAN connected is nonsense... Windows 7 installation process actually works! I didn't get to actually install the 7 and see if I can actually boot the bios. Win 8.1 and 10 were all tried using bootable USB - and these are 100% perfect bootable USB setup, nothing wrong with ISO or USB themselves.

I also have a drive that already has Win 10 installed from another machine. When I try to load that up, I get the same error message right away, as soon as Windows takes over from bios post.

With logical deduction, knowing that bios 1.0b allowed Windows 10 to initially install, and the fact that there is no hardware or bios settings change, the issue I think has to do with the bios itself. Bios versions 2.0, 3.0b, and 3.2 are not letting me install Windows 8.1 or 10 on both legacy and UEFI methods. I cannot find bios 1.0b version online to reflash to retest installing Win 10. I also played around with every combination of bios settings available, multiple USB drives, etc. Really with no hardware change, somehow these "new" bios or bios updates are locking the systems down from installing Win 8.1 or 10.

I did not get a chance to talk to Supermicro yet.

Anyone else have any idea what I can try??? Thanks!
Did you unplug your lan cord and set your bios to S1? Make sure to power off and power on as well before you start this process.

jsuh1993

Feb 28, 2016
Did you unplug your lan cord and set your bios to S1? Make sure to power off and power on as well before you start this process.
Thanks for the reply bud. No lan is connected. I tried with bare minimum - 1 cpu, 1 ram, basic nvidia gpu. ONLY keyboard connected via USB 2.0.

I tried S1, S3, and disabled as well on that settings.

In terms of bios settings, I tried EVERYTHING. Like for 12 hours I was booting with dozens of diff combination of settings haha...

Funny cause people had this ACPI BIOS SETTING error with Asus workstation mobo. And they had bios update that helped solved it by adding Windows 8/10 support. But with X9.. at least in my case, getting NEW bios got rid of that support somehow..

Potentially a broken/stuck/badly-flashed-and-no-way-to-go-back bios chip on the mobo?

jsuh1993

Feb 28, 2016
Maybe try doing a CMOS reset and re-flashing? What did support say?
I tried resetting it by shorting, proper way, couple of times.

I got desperate and flashed it with 1.0a bios.. with IPMI firmware version that is 2.0+. Now it won't post. According to tech support, flashing too old bios with new IPMI firmware = no post.

My USB keyboard is not getting power/signal through USB anymore (Pressing Capslock does not give LED lighting up). So SUPER.ROM recovery method isn't really working..

Tdunbug

Apr 13, 2016
I had a similar issue of ACPI_Bios_Error when trying to install windows 8 or later. Yet Win 7 pro installed perfectly. I was using the latest version of Bios and IPMI firmware. As it turned out that was the problem! As so as I reverted back to the older X9DRL3.121 bios firmware boom! Windows 10 UeFi installed without an issue.

James Hyde

Apr 17, 2016
I had the same issue and had been tearing the remaining part of my hair out, I tried running BIOSBits and FWTS to see if I could determine what was wrong in the ACPI space

Supermicro has posted a FAQ, which worked for me on an X9DAI with a single processor (E5-2687W)

Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support | FAQs Search for "acpi_bios_error"

You should see

FAQ ID | Related Category / Keyword Date | Posted Code
22823 | N/A | 04/01/16

Please disable jumper JPME1, re-flash the bios, and then try to update windows 10 again.

This worked for me

This was especially painful as I had important work to do and had fried my home system

Edit: PS Make sure after you flash the BIOS you power off as required

Last edited:

Jackyushishan

Oct 22, 2016
I have the same problem. damn problem.
i run windows 10 smoothly until early this year I re-install windows 10 version: 1607. i succeeded installed windows 10 version: 1607 but i cannot start my computer every morning when I get back office. I have to force shutdown the computer then power on again to start system. I searched the internet to solve this problem and follow the instruction to update the BIOS version 3.2. since then I cannot log in the system any more, stuck on blue screen with " ACPI_BIOS_ERROR" and start system again by again. i try to recovery BIOS to version 3.0a, same problem. i try to recovery BIOS version 3.0, some problem. I download the windows 10 to USB and try to install it, same problem. i try to windows 8, some problem. then i try windows 7. it also stuck in finishing step. i try it again and again. finally I succeeded install windows 7. but i hate use windows 7.
Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2060 V2 (2 processors)
NVIDIA QUADRO K2000
SanDisk SD SSDHP128G ATA Device
X9DAI MOTHERBOARD

Who can help me to solve the problem? I want to change other brand motherboard if cannot solve this problem.

Tdunbug

Apr 13, 2016
Update. Somehow when I updated the bios it got corrupted. So to fix it I downloaded the latest bios version from the SM ftp site and followed the instructions to a "t". Yet I would get the following message, "ME update failed." I had to RMA the board to SM who fixed it. I had it back within 3 weeks.