Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Its not to protect from Static - its to protect my life. Scratching the dining room table brings out poltergeist wife and is punishable by death.
Be happy . that she does allow You to use the dining table as build center. Some would see this as major leap forward...cf the floor in the back room...:)

BennyE_HH

Mar 30, 2016
A welcome present arrived in the mail today...
(pic reference removed)
X10SDV-TP8F, D-1518, 2x 10G SFP+, 6x 1Gbe. Don't need the extra 1gbe ports but this was the board I could get the soonest.
I signed up just to "Like" your post! :)

I have been in a discussion with Patrick on that board and that it appears to be impossible to order/purchase it in Germany (I haven't found a shop with parts available yet, as of yesterday). The availability jumped from May'16 to tomorrow (31.03.) for one of the shops I watch - so we'll see what happens.

I'm planning to play with SR-IOV & network related topics like VEB and VEPA (for isolation of VM communication) and was glad I found the blog post on STH that mentioned that the Xeon-D 1540/1520 have SR-IOV limitations that are hopefully not carried on to the D-1518. I have good access to Enterprise network gear (Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise OmniSwitch) and was looking for a board with SFP+ (for DACs or optical connections).

As it might be of interest for some of you: There are 10GBaseT SFP+ transceivers becoming available now! I'm not working with that company (ProLabs), but thought it would be interesting for you to know.
ProLabs - 10G Copper Transceivers with OEM Compatibility

Reactions: vanfawx and Patrick

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
A couple of notes on the X10SDV-TP8F:

I loaded Ubuntu 16.04 daily last night. Came up perfectly and recognized all 8 NICs (2x i210s, 4x i350s and 2x 10Gbe). There was an annoyingly long pause by the installer at "detecting devices" - I estimated 90 seconds. Don't really understand that but I'm speculating that it was trying to figure out which NIC had a live internet connection.

Since the manual isn't published yet i had to guess on the NIC order. Appears that the leftmost two (facing from the rear) are the i210s with port 0 on the bottom (typical for SM). The next four are the i350s. The 10Gbe are sorta obvious as they are SFP+.

I did notice an oddity with the new Linux NIC renaming scheme. Firstly, it only seems to permit 4 "on MB" NICs, named "eno1", eno2", "eno3" and "en04". The other for get named "rename1", "rename2", etc. It was designed to "ensure" stable naming across reboots - but it doesn't. The names shift around across reboots, probably because of probe-response time randomness, which makes it impossible to get a clean startup across boots. For now I disabled the "new" naming and went back to MAC-based binding to eth[0-7].

I also successfully set up booting to a ZFS mirror rpool. This is still not supported directly in the installer (boo) and I had to follow the method published for 15.10. But it does appear to work. We'll see if it will still be stable after a kernel update.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yes they are. And no it doesn't. They are not silent - or really even close to silent - but the MB holds them at about 5k RPM and they give a nice dull hum at that speed.

Not bedroom quiet, might not want it right next to you, but from across a small room it's good enough. For me it doesn't matter because they all live in the garage.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Looking around a bit, it appears that the randomness on the NIC naming might be a BIOS bug.

According to this, the BIOS is supposed to report onboard device ordering in SMBIOS type 41 records. It appears (though I have no way to test) that the on-die NICs (i210 #1, #2 and 10Gbe #1 and #2) and the i350 external NICs are assigned duplicate order values. This is consistent with four of the NICs getting name "renameN" by udev - and the randomness is based on which NICs get which name "e.g., eno1 vs rename5, etc.".

I'll open a trouble ticket with SM.

kiwimonk

Mar 11, 2016
I'm looking to build a low power always on system, and I'm having trouble finding data to compare the different versions of the xeon-d power usage wise. Does anyone know what the idle /maxed power consumption is for a D-1541? The D-1528 board review lists the stats.. Haven't found any similar information for the other SOCs.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I'm looking to build a low power always on system, and I'm having trouble finding data to compare the different versions of the xeon-d power usage wise. Does anyone know what the idle /maxed power consumption is for a D-1541? The D-1528 board review lists the stats.. Haven't found any similar information for the other SOCs.
Supermicro X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F Review – Xeon D-1528 mITX

But also note the suspicion is that the wave 2 1521/1541 is less hungry than initial chips 1520/1540

Last edited:
Reactions: Saoclyph

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@kiwimonk - If the systems are always on and idle, the power differences are negligible. Broadwell is very good at spinning down unused cores so I would optimize on the maximum single and multi-threaded performance you think you will need. If the D-1518 will work performance wise, get that over a D-1541. If the D-1541 has the performance you need, that is the chip you should get. At idle they will all be relatively similar.

kiwimonk

Mar 11, 2016
@kiwimonk - If the systems are always on and idle, the power differences are negligible. Broadwell is very good at spinning down unused cores so I would optimize on the maximum single and multi-threaded performance you think you will need. If the D-1518 will work performance wise, get that over a D-1541. If the D-1541 has the performance you need, that is the chip you should get. At idle they will all be relatively similar.
I don't need much in terms of performance, so I'm leaning towards the D-1528. Basically it's going to replace my nas, so Raid 6 BTRFS.. Probably with ESXi on the metal and Xpenology managing the drives. The power where I live is the most expensive power in the US, so draw is a huge concern for me. Sounds like the D series are all close enough to not really worry about it. I guess the other attractive thing about the D-1528 is the upfront cost. Thanks for the info.. This site is the only one I've found really focusing on this amazing new platform.

Reactions: Saoclyph

IamSpartacus

Mar 14, 2016
My X10SDV-4C-7TP4F is scheduled to ship on 4/7 right now. I believe I was one of the first people to purchase it on WiredZone as I bought it before it was even publicly linked on their site so I'll be sure to post about it when I get it. It's probably the last component I need to finish my build but I'll be sure to post some pics/details about it when it gets here :D.

Ramos

Mar 2, 2016
...Broadwell is very good at spinning down unused cores ...
Is this a general trend for all E5+ (32nm or later/lower) or just Broadwell?
Like car engines turning off cylinders to save juice?

Still bouncing off the fence of what to get because of these pesky watt prices here...