Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Makes sense. Registered (RDIMMs) are not the same as normal desktop ddr3, nor the same as UDIMMS, nor old FB DIMMS.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
What you guys think about those memories for Supermicro x9srl single cpu, 16gb for 35 bucks including shipping

New Hynix 16GB 2*8GB DDR3 ECC REG

New Hynix 16GB 2x8GB DDR3 PC3L-10600R 1333MHz 240-Pin ECC REG HMT31GR7BFR4A-H9

The only thing i dont get is why seller wrote this,

"not work in a desktop/pc nor a board that takes ECC Unregistered/Unbuffered or ECC Fully Buffered"
I think you can do better on the RAM. Assuming you're in the US, Natex is selling 8gB 1600MHz registered ECC DIMMs for $16 each. They have free shipping, but you need to hit $40 for free shipping. You do need 4 DIMMs for quad channel operation, so I'd be looking at 4 DIMMs if I were you.

HMT31GR7CFR4C-PB : Hynix 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-12800R

WoooT

Mar 25, 2016
Makes sense. Registered (RDIMMs) are not the same as normal desktop ddr3, nor the same as UDIMMS, nor old FB DIMMS.
I know those are not normal dekstop mems, what he wrote sounded to me like those doesnt work with "a board that takes ECC "
which makes no sense to me.

I think you can do better on the RAM. Assuming you're in the US, Natex is selling 8gB 1600MHz registered ECC DIMMs for $16 each. They have free shipping, but you need to hit $40 for free shipping. You do need 4 DIMMs for quad channel operation, so I'd be looking at 4 DIMMs if I were you.

HMT31GR7CFR4C-PB : Hynix 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-12800R
unfortunately i don't live in US. i live in Europe

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I know those are not normal dekstop mems, what he wrote sounded to me like those doesnt work with "a board that takes ECC "
which makes no sense to me.

unfortunately i don't live in US. i live in Europe
Based on previous posts on this thread: if you email Natex via their 'contact us' you can ask if they may arrange international shipping.

Also you could consider setting up an account with a freight forwarders like 'shipito' or 'myusa' and get a USA address that way. Consider which US address you use, some states like California and Nevada charge tax on purchases. Also whether goods have electrostatic wrapping, if you want shipping insurance then photos of goods are needed.

EDIT: An example of Natex posting to Europe:
Motherboard/CPU/Memory Bundles for sale

Last edited:

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
Not sure if it's been done in this thread yet, but some benchmarks I ran -

Dual e5-2670 setup -
Linux-bench: Linux-Bench Linux CPU Benchmarks by ServeTheHome and ServeThe.Biz
Passmark (CPU Mark only): 20k+ CPU mark -> Image of full results

Single e5-2670 in same setup -
Passmark (CPU Mark Only): 13k CPU mark -> Image of full results

Dual e5-2660 in same setup -
Passmark (CPU Mark only): 18.8k CPU mark -> Image of full results

Single e5-2660 in same setup -
Linux-bench: N/A
Passmark (CPU Mark only): 12k CPU mark -> Image of full results

Last edited:

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Surprised by the weak single threaded perf from Passmark. Wondering why..

Also, i'd like to see this setup vs 2x AMD Opteron 6376 which i have in 2 servers. They still cost much more than these CPUs and getting a good deal on board supporting 2 x G34 isn't easy either.

Not sure if it's been done in this thread yet, but some benchmarks I ran on a dual e5-2670 setup -

Passmark (CPU Mark only): 20k+ CPU mark -> Image of full results (I only have the evaluation version :p)

workingnonstop

Feb 24, 2016
Surprised by the weak single threaded perf from Passmark. Wondering why..

Also, i'd like to see this setup vs 2x AMD Opteron 6376 which i have in 2 servers. They still cost much more than these CPUs and getting a good deal on board supporting 2 x G34 isn't easy either.
I think it's just the (relatively) slower clock speed. My result actually marginally better than the average shown for single CPU here

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just a word about cooling these monsters. I started out with a pair of Dynatron R14's based on what I read here. My temps were in the lowers 50's at idle and went to mid 60's under load. At first I attempted to remedy this problem by installing beefier case fans. They made no difference at all to CPU temps. I was satisfied that case cooling was more than adequate so it had to be the Dynatrons. I ordered a pair of Supermicro active coolers and bam. Temps are now at upper 30's idle a mid to upper 40's under load.

Lesson learned the hard way. :(

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Just a word about cooling these monsters. I started out with a pair of Dynatron R14's based on what I read here. My temps were in the lowers 50's at idle and went to mid 60's under load. At first I attempted to remedy this problem by installing beefier case fans. They made no difference at all to CPU temps. I was satisfied that case cooling was more than adequate so it had to be the Dynatrons. I ordered a pair of Supermicro active coolers and bam. Temps are now at upper 30's idle a mid to upper 40's under load.

Lesson learned the hard way. :(
Just so you and others are aware but 50-60 are well below the safe operating temp of the CPU.

There's absolutely 0 problem with them running in that temp range or higher 24/7.

If you replaced the 2U Dynatron with 2U SuperMicro and your temps dropped I'm inclined to think it was a thermal compound install error because the Dynatron 2U HSF are better than the SM 2U HSF. Now if you went from 2U to 4U then of course you would get more cooling at lower fan speed due to increased surface area of the heat sink, and larger fan.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Just so you and others are aware but 50-60 are well below the safe operating temp of the CPU.

There's absolutely 0 problem with them running in that temp range or higher 24/7.

If you replaced the 2U Dynatron with 2U SuperMicro and your temps dropped I'm inclined to think it was a thermal compound install error because the Dynatron 2U HSF are better than the SM 2U HSF. Now if you went from 2U to 4U then of course you would get more cooling at lower fan speed due to increased surface area of the heat sink, and larger fan.
The Dynatrons were new and the original HS compound was used. All screws were tightened down snug so I don't see where it could have been an error. :rolleyes:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The Dynatrons were new and the original HS compound was used. All screws were tightened down snug so I don't see where it could have been an error. :rolleyes:
I don't know what to tell you, maybe the compound that comes on them is not good? (I don't use it).
Maybe yours was slightly bent in shippng and wasn't installed firmly enough? I've had some HSF that even when tightened the whole way barely touched the CPU so that when removed the thermal compound was barely touching/on the CPU, and would cause the CPU to consistently raise temps until throttle.

I do know I have over a dozen of them and I know for a fact that they cool better than the SuperMicro Active 2U HSF because I've replaced a handful of them with R14 for the better/quieter cooling. And, as I said if you replaced the 2U HSF with a 4U HSF then that is understandable you'd get better cooling at idle but at full-usage they both will keep the CPU cool/usable too.

I'm not sure what motherboard you're using either but I had R14s that let my 2011 E5-2670 get up to 80*C+ at load and by changing the fan profile completely changed it, and dropped them down into the 60s at load. Of course this was higher fan speed, and louder but the R14 have absolutely 0 problem keeping the CPUs cool.

Since you've not told us what your thermal paste looked like upon removal, if you went to a 4U hsf, etc.. I'm just sharing info that I know to be true based on my experience with numerous installs.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
When I removed them the thermal paste was evenly coated on both the HSF and the CPU. I've seen what you're describing many time and I always look for it when troubleshooting a cooling problem. What I posted was my experience, YMMV, as always. :)

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA

The amount of turbo applied decreases the hotter the CPU runs. I gained about 200MHz by lowering my E5-2670 load temps by ~15C from the low 80's to the mid 60's.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
low 80's would put me in panic mode. Mine are now running mid 30's and the system is desktop quiet. Need to run Prime 95 and see how she holds out under extreme load.

Reactions: 4004

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
Could be crap paste. I learned the first application since the IHS is huge on these 2670's. Didn't put enough on. Put more on and bam, lowered my temsp quite a bit. Ran it maybe for a few hours when I noticed the temps weren't within my range. Used Shin Etsu X23. MX-4 may have worked better but didn't have enough for 2 CPU's. That's also with using the stock Supermicro blocks.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
low 80's would put me in panic mode. Mine are now running mid 30's and the system is desktop quiet. Need to run Prime 95 and see how she holds out under extreme load.
Well I was talking about Prime95 load temps using small FFT with an AVX aware version, but that was Intel's idea of a reasonable load temp, since that's the load temps that their close loop cooling system was set up to allow before starting to ramp the fans.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Could be crap paste. I learned the first application since the IHS is huge on these 2670's. Didn't put enough on. Put more on and bam, lowered my temsp quite a bit. Ran it maybe for a few hours when I noticed the temps weren't within my range. Used Shin Etsu X23. MX-4 may have worked better but didn't have enough for 2 CPU's. That's also with using the stock Supermicro blocks.
Well, when you're dealing with a system that uses a closed loop control system, the amount of paste and even the coolers are irrelevant with regards to the load temps of the CPU. The noise of the system though, they're not.

daniel1926

Mar 27, 2016
Hi Guys. I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing, but I have a highly multi threaded application (web crawler and database) that is taking multiple days to run on my i7-4770. I've never built a pc before, but I would like to see what kind of a speed bump I can get by moving to a 2 socket e5-2670 setup. To that end, I am thinking about purchasing the following item from ebay and then dropping in two new CPUs as well as additional ram and a couple of hard drives. How difficult will it be to do this (please understand that I haven't touched a CPU since I replace my pentium back in the 90s when it had the intel bug)? Also, can I install windows 10 on this machine and be set to go? If not, what do I need to consider?

I have never used the SAS hard drive interface before. Is it very different from the SATA interface? I only care insofar as it affects my crawler and database. For now, I am thinking about getting an SSD for OS and a few programs and then a few 2TB HDDs. Does that make sense with this machine?

Thanks for all of the help!

Here is what I am thinking about purchasing:

SuperMicro 2U 2*E5-2630 Hex-Core 6C@2.3 825TS-R720LPNBP X9DR3-LN4F+ 6027R-3RF4+