Lsi ibbu07 - Altering hex code to replace defective battery and replacing Ibm5015 heatsink

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
The cell razvanc.mobile uses is a protected cell compared to the raw cells used as default by Lsi, as Terry Kennedy says it should be safe as long as the internal protection in the battery itself is working but it is not a solution most will use as the thermistor now cannot throttle charging/discharging.

To minimize the heat for the raid battery I bought the interposer board and cable to mount pack away from the 60C raid heatsink, normally pack is around 40-45 in my desktop which is way to hot.

@razvanc.mobile - did you try to calibrate pack after replacement and did eprom correct itself ? did 'full capacity' increase to new pack capacity ?

Walter1604

Mar 17, 2016
The cell razvanc.mobile uses is a protected cell compared to the raw cells used as default by Lsi, as Terry Kennedy says it should be safe as long as the internal protection in the battery itself is working but it is not a solution most will use as the thermistor now cannot throttle charging/discharging.

To minimize the heat for the raid battery I bought the interposer board and cable to mount pack away from the 60C raid heatsink, normally pack is around 40-45 in my desktop which is way to hot.

@razvanc.mobile - did you try to calibrate pack after replacement and did eprom correct itself ? did 'full capacity' increase to new pack capacity ?

The problem that I see is not so much the protection of the battery , but that the control system in the BQ2060 does not have heat information from the battery. That heat information required by the temperature sensor is not being provided for the battery as the battery temperature is not being sensed

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
i did not recalibrate yet, this was a quick and dirty solution to a problem. a supermicro short 1u server, that had the controller mounted in the only spot available, with the battery resting on top of one of the heatsinks on the motherboard, that heats up so much it cannot be touched. the temp sensor on the bbu reads about 55 celsius, but the battery is mounted somewhere in the case, nowhere near that heat.

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
That's a serious hot bbu, I wonder how long did the standard bbu battery last on top of that heatsink ?

Apr 2, 2015
That's a serious hot bbu, I wonder how long did the standard bbu battery last on top of that heatsink ?
Two died in the last year. They were replaced under warranty, because that's how the server was bought. So i'm guessing instead of admitting they did a bad job at building the server, they simply changed the whole bbu.

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
After turning on computer without fan connected and using if for 30 minutes I measured 58C.

Turning fan on it reached 38C within 1 minute.

5 minutes after connecting fan it reached 34C

With a small 45x45 fan blowing over the bigger heatsink I got much lower temperature then I hoped for - this is an awesome result.

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
The problem that I see is not so much the protection of the battery , but that the control system in the BQ2060 does not have heat information from the battery. That heat information required by the temperature sensor is not being provided for the battery as the battery temperature is not being sensed
In this case the bq2060 does not need to have heat information from the battery as the battery itself measures heat with it's own protection circuit. The bq does not know what temperatur it measures as it uses a 103JT thermistor that still register temperature but not the battery temperature but air temp @ 55c, if the new cell reaches too high temperatur and starts throttling the bq can't pull more current then the new cell gives.

Razvanc.mobile shold be safe as long as the internal protection in the battery itself is working but like I said it is not a solution most will use as the bq thermistor now cannot throttle charging/discharging directly.

As the formula for temperature measurement in the bq2060 is known we can calculate it for the lsi battery pack.

MaXT=69-19.2(C hex @ 0x45, 12x1.6) =49,8c

Also since eeprom address 0x08 is the hit bit with value set to 0 maximum temperature set in normal range is 45c–69c and safety overtemperature is 69c– 94.5c.

Even with a free air temp of 55c the bq battery manage chip is still working.

I have been testing the Htc batteries I got hold of.

Remove the two plastic pins holding the old battery secure.

Htc cell fits without problem.

1 millimeter to high but thats ok.

Fitted new 3m double sided thin tape to secure cell and new kapton tape.

First start, looks ok - lets calibrate battery.

2xcalibration done - looks perfect. I guess full capacity will continue to rise but not that it matters as fw is holding cell @ 940-970mAh.

Splendid way to save a 690us$ - I'm happy.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
@Twist is that final cellphone battery based solution basically a direct attachment swap or does it require hex editing etc? Glad I found your thread earlier on as I may be in need of doing this mod myself.
Also what HTC model battery did you use?

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
Replacing the battery without altering code might work, I just don't know if the controller is able to count the last measured discharge data backwards or not.

razvanc.mobile might know as he replaced battery without edition code.

I just 'did' the code thing as I don't like to cut corners - also, you learn something for the next project.

It's an easy mod and if you screw up you can order new parts from a online store, if I remember correct digikey might program the eeprom for you - I don't know if they have a minimum quantity order or not for that job.

24lc01 - link
Bq2060 - link

I used a Htc Hd Mini battery, I soldered awg 18 wires direct to battery contacts and if you do the same use a minimum of heat and pre-tin wires and battery tabs.

Last edited:

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Replacing the battery without altering code might work, I just don't know if the controller is able to count the last measured discharge data backwards or not.

razvanc.mobile might know as he replaced battery without edition code.

I just 'did' the code thing as I don't like to cut corners - also, you learn something for the next project.

It's an easy mod and if you screw up you can order new parts from a online store, if I remember correct digikey might program the eeprom for you - I don't know if they have a minimum quantity order or not for that job.

24lc01 - link
Bq2060 - link

I used a Htc Hd Mini battery, I soldered awg 18 wires direct to battery contacts and if you do the same use a minimum of heat and pre-tin wires and battery tabs.
Cool thanks for the detailed info. @razvanc.mobile , how's your mod working out? I have some old cell phone batteries I feel can be repurposed :)

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
Sure, old cell phones batteries is everywhere - just do a capacity test before you mod code or fit them for calibration as it takes a long time.

Also wondering if razvanc.mobile mod worked out or not - did you have time to calibrate battery ?

2df7a1

Nov 30, 2016
Hello,

Looking for an update with your setups @Twist and @razvanc.mobile, are they still working?

I read that some of you guys have used an EV2200 interface board but looking at numerous sources it doesn't seem to be available to purchase for me and looks to be outdated.

Can I use an EV2300 instead? What other components would I need?

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
It's still in use every day, had no problems with it.

I didn't use EV2200 or EV2300 - I just desoldered U4 eeprom chip, fitted it in an eprom programmer and changed the hex data and soldered it back.

2df7a1

Nov 30, 2016
Hi @Twist, thanks for the info! I don't think I have the correct equipment available to me at the moment to desolder such a tiny chip :)

My approach was a straight swap, replacing with the following battery:

Sony Fukushima
US503759 A8H
2DOC08H

I was no longer getting the following error message from a different soldered battery:
'The battery hardware is missing or malfunctioning, or the battery is unplugged, or the battery could be fully discharged...'

Pressing D to disable and continue to boot means the next time it detects no battery / fault it will still appear right?

Later, i'll upload the output of -AdpBbuCmd -aALL with adapter 0 as the replacement and adapter 1 as the original 'good battery'.

Do you know where we are able to source the controller PCB where you lifted the U4 chip?

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
You don't need expensive equipment to do this.
I just use Stickvise for pcb clamping, regular solder and you can do it with any 30-40W soldering iron. You also need a programmer that supports a 24lc01b, you can buy them on ebay cheap - link

I was no longer getting the following error message from a different soldered battery:
'The battery hardware is missing or malfunctioning, or the battery is unplugged, or the battery could be fully discharged...'

Pressing D to disable and continue to boot means the next time it detects no battery / fault it will still appear right?
I have not tried this so I don't know how the raid card or battery circuit behave when doing this - it could be interesting to see msm battery information when doing a straight swap.

Do you know where we are able to source the controller PCB where you lifted the U4 chip?
I just bought some cheap defective batteries on Ebay.

2df7a1

Nov 30, 2016
You don't need expensive equipment to do this.
I just use Stickvise for pcb clamping, regular solder and you can do it with any 30-40W soldering iron. You also need a programmer that supports a 24lc01b, you can buy them on ebay cheap - link

I have not tried this so I don't know how the raid card or battery circuit behave when doing this - it could be interesting to see msm battery information when doing a straight swap.

I just bought some cheap defective batteries on Ebay.

Hi Twist,

Thanks for the reply! Wonder if I should start a new thread or continue here for this question...

Testing another straight swap with same spec battery on an old BBU. The output of MegaCli64 -AdpBbuCmd -aALL states a battery replacement is required even after the swap.

Performing a manual relearn with MegaCli64 -AdpBbuCmd -BbuLearn -aALL was unsuccessful.

Do I need to reset something?

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
Well, that means a straight swap does not work - I didn't think it would work either. For the module to work you have to edit the eeprom, I don't know of other ways to do it.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Just a random thought on this as I am not technically minded regarding these things, have you tried reading two origional new battery roms and comparing one to the other?

My thought is that maybe in the EEprom that has all the data on it there maybe a checksum which takes into account a factory programming sealing code so that when you unseal the prom changing a value the check sum becomes invalid and when you reseal the eeprom using the software you use it may be sealing it with a different digit ( I.E specific to your software ) and not nessesarily the same digit with which it was sealed at the factory resulting in an still incorrect checksum for the prom and problems reading the data.

As I said just a random thought but something possibly worth looking at.

Twist

Oct 15, 2015
Norway
Hi

I have not tried reading two new battery eeprom and comparing them, they were too expensive for me to buy new.

I have had no problems with the eeprom since I sealed it and the batterypack is still in use today working as it should with no problems reading eeprom calibrating and so on.

Added picture is of the battery pack today.

iBBU.JPG

Last edited: