HP DL380 G7 Fan Noise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
Hi - I just bought a fully loaded used HP DL380 G7 from working environment.

Now, this system looks brand new, but the problem I notice is when I boot till I launch my OS (Windows Server 2012) the fan noise is the same.

I have a DL380 G6 and it is quieter than this machine. I mean the DL380 G6 would boot up loud and the fans would quiet down.

This is not the case here in the G7, the fans are loud and appear to be at a constant speed from that point on.

I am not sure how to diagnose this problem, are there any diagnostic or remote management software that is free that can be used to identify. I ensured the server cover is seated, I checked the fans, they seem to be seated. Nothing else seems to be out of the ordinary.

I would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

What cards do you have installed in the server?

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
Do I need a license for ilo? I never could figure out how that works, as whenever I tried to look into it seems i need a license.

I am going to open the case again tomorrow to see what cards there are, need to review the manual to see where are the PCI slots. I think there is one PCI slot occupied. I am running HP SmartStart CD right now, that has the diagnostics. I am going to let the complete test run overnight.

At initial diagnostic i did notice Fans like 4/5 were at over 50% while the others were in low 20% range.

I will upload the logs in the morning once I am up. I would stay up for the complete test to finish so I can shut down the server aftwards but it seems to take like 45 minutes or longer and is already too late in East coast.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
you only need a iLo license for advanced features. i.e. KVM and mounting media.

Chris

badskater

Automation Architect
May 8, 2013
Canada
Check if it's an HP Branded card, all others makes the fan go above what should be used. (I remember my 8 x DL380 G6, one did the same stuff, it had a Dell PCIe Quad NIC in it, changed to HP, fans went down to the same noise as the others)

Reactions: Maude

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
Check if it's an HP Branded card, all others makes the fan go above what should be used. (I remember my 8 x DL380 G6, one did the same stuff, it had a Dell PCIe Quad NIC in it, changed to HP, fans went down to the same noise as the others)

I had no idea, I feel like a idiot. Do you know of a good straight forward guide or video that would help me set it up. Thanks

joogle

Feb 14, 2015

What cards do you have installed in the server?
Based on this response in the threads, which I greatly appreciate, just realized I can setup iLo, just need to figure out how.

Now, in regards to the SmartTest bootable DVD by HP, I ran the quick diagnostic and at the moment am running the full one which is taking long.

I did see a orange light appear on one of the hard drives and it looks like it has failed. Note, the orange light was not there Saturday afternoon when I got it, I noticed Sunday evening once I deleted and created a new logical drive.

I will also attach a survey of all the components so hopefully you all can help if there is a PCI card I need to take out.

Please find attached few files right now from the SmartCD.

a) error.html -- Error log which is telling me hard drive failed. Note even if I take out the drive, the fan speed remains the same.

b) survey.html -- Survey of the internal components which will show the fans. Note, I will provide a file for the full server in the morning once the complete test finishes.

c) testlog.html -- Quick test provided by HP

d) iml.html -- I guess it is the diagnostic history, note I have the machine from 3/19/2016.

Thanks!

Attachments

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
F8 during boot you can go in and setup iLO user and password. If you already have it up and running, you can use findilos to nmap sweep your network for iLO addresses and the tag on the front of the box to ID the individual server. Flipping dip1 on the 10dip on the mainboard to on will override ilo security and you can login without a password.... create user & password and flip it back off.

Reactions: gigatexal

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
Thanks - do you all notice anything in the files I uploaded that I should check as to why the fans are high.

Now I did a view of the full survey using HP SmartStart and it shows:

PCI Slots
PCI-E Slot 1 In Use
PCI-E Slot 2 Available
PCI-E Slot 3 Available

System Slot - Type 9
Slot Designation PCI-E Slot 1
Slot Type PCI Express
Slot Data Bus Width 8x
Current Usage In Use
Slot ID 1
PCI Bus 8
PCI Device 0
PCI Function 0

Except I can't find out what is in PCI-E Slot 1, any suggestions?

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
Just a guess, maybe a Storage Controller of some sort?

I checked the back side of the server don't see any extra plate there. I got iLo working by plugging in another ethernet cable, I was hoping one would work for both features but not sure if that is possible.

Anyways here is a screen shot of the fan readings.

I'm not sure what else to check to figure out why those 3 fans are going to 40 to 50%

DL380Fans.jpg

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
I figued it out peeps, based on what you all suggested and what some other sites were pointing to in terms of checking PCI slots.

I opened the cover, saw the PCI-E riser slot and noticed a light blinking in the back, powered down everything unplugged.

Took out the PCI-E Rise and see there is a card in there, it is called:

HP 640GB PCIE IO DUO Accelerator.

I took it out, powered everything back up, the server is silent like a laptop.

Now, can someone help me determine what card this is, would I really need it, the server is for home use.

A quick search shows this to be a pricey item, though I am not familiar with it or if I really need it - it did solve my problem with the noise.

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
That's a FusionIO drive. Basically it's a very fast SSD that is connected via PCI instead of SATA/SAS. Can I have it? :)

:)

I think I may just sell it, I am not sure why it was causing fans to spin at a higher capacity, would there be any sort of driving missing at start up? Plus I never detected it during the Array controller, etc. nor in Windows.

My other question is if you see the error log I uploaded for the hard drive which is a 600gb SAS 10K HP drive, I really want to see if there is a way to repair it through some software or such, any suggestions?

I am placed the error log few posts above.

Thanks

manxam

Jul 25, 2015
HP's use "Sea of Sensors": all SUPPORTED devices in PCI slots have temperature sensors and the fan speed is adjusted accordingly. If a PCI device does not have a temperature sensor known to the BMC then it "fails".

Case in point, a DL180 G6 that I have (12 bay) is quite quiet with an HP 410i installed but noisy as hell with an M1015. Basically, if it's not standard equipment on the computer then the BMC errs on the side of safety and ramps up case fan speed.

There is no fix for this aside from hacking the fans with resistors or installing a fan controller. This is expected behaviour.

I'm still thinking that you should give me that card though :)

Reactions: pgh5278

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
HP's use "Sea of Sensors": all SUPPORTED devices in PCI slots have temperature sensors and the fan speed is adjusted accordingly. If a PCI device does not have a temperature sensor known to the BMC then it "fails".

Case in point, a DL180 G6 that I have (12 bay) is quite quiet with an HP 410i installed but noisy as hell with an M1015. Basically, if it's not standard equipment on the computer then the BMC errs on the side of safety and ramps up case fan speed.

There is no fix for this aside from hacking the fans with resistors or installing a fan controller. This is expected behaviour.

I'm still thinking that you should give me that card though :)
haha - thanks

That makes sense, I think I will try to sell that card. The hard drive that has failed, seems like the vendor from whom I bought would be able to replace.

joogle

Feb 14, 2015
F8 during boot you can go in and setup iLO user and password. If you already have it up and running, you can use findilos to nmap sweep your network for iLO addresses and the tag on the front of the box to ID the individual server. Flipping dip1 on the 10dip on the mainboard to on will override ilo security and you can login without a password.... create user & password and flip it back off.
One quick question, to use the 'Shared Network Port' iLo feature, in which port would I put in the ethernet cable?

Now, that feature will split the functionality so my server has continuous internet access and I still am able to access iLo using the IP I assigned within that setup?

thanks

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
One quick question, to use the 'Shared Network Port' iLo feature, in which port would I put in the ethernet cable?

Now, that feature will split the functionality so my server has continuous internet access and I still am able to access iLo using the IP I assigned within that setup?

thanks
I though it allowed you to pick which one... otherwise my guess would be... port 1.