Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Yes in fairness I had a layer of the pink bubble wrap around the board also but I wasn't sure if it was antistatic or not. I'll be taking it all apart tonight to clean off the included thermal compound. Did you use the included thermal compound on the new Intel heatsinks or did you use your own? I was planning on using the arctic silver I have from other builds.
As the intel heatsinks should be NIB, I wouldn't hesitate to use the intact TIM (Thermal Interface Material). However if you ever remove the new Intel heatsink afterwards, it's best to scrape all the TIM off and apply a nice even *thin* coat of thermal grease.

FYI, I just received my 2nd natex shipment (2xCPU, S2600CP2J, 8x8GB Nanya RAM). I'd just mounted it in my second P4000M chassis, had ran through the BIOS/FRUSDR updates, and now starting in on a memtest. So far, so good.

Reactions: NATEX

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Yes in fairness I had a layer of the pink bubble wrap around the board also but I wasn't sure if it was antistatic or not.
Generally pink bubble wrap is antistatic, though I guess there's no guarantee of that.
I'll be taking it all apart tonight to clean off the included thermal compound. Did you use the included thermal compound on the new Intel heatsinks or did you use your own? I was planning on using the arctic silver I have from other builds.
Yes, I just used the thermal compound that was on the bottom of the Intel heatsinks. I have some stuff that's probably better, but I figured I would use what it came with for now. Once I see where temps are with the box working hard and perhaps with new fans I'll decided if I want to replace it.

I'm eyeballing using Noctua Industrial PWM fans to replace the noisy fans Intel chose to put in the case. I'm not sure if I should get the 2000RPM flavor or the 3000RPM flavor. I need to measure the RPM of the stock fans first to figure out what their max RPM is. I figure it's well over 3000RPM, but I want to be sure.

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
Generally pink bubble wrap is antistatic, though I guess there's no guarantee of that.

Yes, I just used the thermal compound that was on the bottom of the Intel heatsinks. I have some stuff that's probably better, but I figured I would use what it came with for now. Once I see where temps are with the box working hard and perhaps with new fans I'll decided if I want to replace it.

I'm eyeballing using Noctua Industrial PWM fans to replace the noisy fans Intel chose to put in the case. I'm not sure if I should get the 2000RPM flavor or the 3000RPM flavor. I need to measure the RPM of the stock fans first to figure out what their max RPM is. I figure it's well over 3000RPM, but I want to be sure.
Do you have the model # of the stock fans? How bad are we talking?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I don't have it here with me. I can tell you when I get home from work. They just scream when they're running full throttle. They're not so loud when they're under thermal control, but they have a very annoying noise profile. If it was more of the rushing air sound you get from good fans that are running slowly I'd just leave them alone, but they have an annoying pitchy whine even when they're spun fairly slow. They sound similar in character to the fans you'd find in a typical managed switch from a few years ago or a typical rack mount professional audio amp.

dstanding

Jan 27, 2015
Morristown NJ
I don't have it here with me. I can tell you when I get home from work. They just scream when they're running full throttle. They're not so loud when they're under thermal control, but they have a very annoying noise profile. If it was more of the rushing air sound you get from good fans that are running slowly I'd just leave them alone, but they have an annoying pitchy whine even when they're spun fairly slow. They sound similar in character to the fans you'd find in a typical managed switch from a few years ago or a typical rack mount professional audio amp.
Are they 120x25? Is there any room between the fan wall and backplane to fit 120x38 fans?

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Are they 120x25? Is there any room between the fan wall and backplane to fit 120x38 fans?
I'm pretty sure they're the thicker 38mm fans. I'll check when I get home. I don't have a backplane in my enclosure. I didn't get a hotswap version. There's plenty of room between the fan wall and the 2.5" / 3.5" drives.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
As the intel heatsinks should be NIB, I wouldn't hesitate to use the intact TIM (Thermal Interface Material). However if you ever remove the new Intel heatsink afterwards, it's best to scrape all the TIM off and apply a nice even *thin* coat of thermal grease.

FYI, I just received my 2nd natex shipment (2xCPU, S2600CP2J, 8x8GB Nanya RAM). I'd just mounted it in my second P4000M chassis, had ran through the BIOS/FRUSDR updates, and now starting in on a memtest. So far, so good.
That is awesome!

I still have issue with FRUSDR tool. When I ran FRUSDR couple of times but It keeps on saying Front FRU missing or something like that. Not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. I downloaded Intel S2x00 Platform Confidence Tool and everything passes except Serial port which is not connected. I had the IOShield from the start and I went back and added the rubber supports for the MB.

I figured out the issue with ESXi 6.0U1 install. (Not before wasting few hours) Onboard NICs were disabled in BIOS. Since I was able to use IPMI, I didn't check that setting in BIOS. Once I changed the setting, ESXI was happy. Hope this saves someone else's time.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
The two 120mm fans are not the same part number. The top one that blows on the CPU is a Nidec BETAV V34809-35INT10F. The bottom one is a Delta AFB1212SHE. Both are 38mm thick.

The Nidec looks to run at 3750RPM at full power and the Delta at 5200RPM from my oscilloscope readings.

Sitting in the BIOS with the fans set to Performance, 0 PWM offset, and 0-300m altitude setting:
Nidec: ~46% PWM duty / 1785RPM
Delta: ~25% PWM duty / 1380RPM

Sitting in the BIOS with the fans set to Acoustic, 0 PWM offset, and 0-300m altitude setting:
Nidec: ~28.5% PWM duty / 1120RPM
Delta: ~22.5% PWM duty / 1260RPM

I'm pretty sure the upper Nidec is the one with the annoying whine. No idea if it's normal, or if I have a bad fan.

Since the two fans are not identical, I'm not entirely sure what I should do. I guess I want to see what the PWM duty cycles look like with the CPUs heavily loaded.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
So the fans are supposed to change speed right?

In both the Acoustic and Performance modes the fan speed didn't budge even after 15+ minutes of running 32 workers in mprime (small FFT) from the ultimate boot CD. The system was pulling 280+W from the wall.

:confused:

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
So the fans are supposed to change speed right?

In both the Acoustic and Performance modes the fan speed didn't budge even after 15+ minutes of running 32 workers in mprime (small FFT) from the ultimate boot CD. The system was pulling 280+W from the wall.

:confused:
From what I've noticed, the fans increase in speed when the P1|P2 Therm Margins fall below ~18-19% in order to maintain that margin.

On my two systems, SYS FAN 1 (the PCI card cooling domain) rarely turns faster than 1540RPM. SYS 2 FAN (the CPU cooling domain) gets up to about 1600RPM when both cores are fully loaded for ~15mins, otherwise it's 1280RPM at idle. The chassis airflow sensor reads ~89-90 CFM idle, and tops at ~103CFM when the CPUs are loaded. Note that my ambient temp is ~67f (in a cold basement).

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
Idle power?
No, that was full load. Idle was mid 80 watts.

So where do I get the missing drivers for this thing? I downloaded all the drivers from Intel's site listed for Windows 7 but I still have a huge list of exclamation points in Windows 7 SP1. I also ran their driver auto update utility and said nothing available. I had to go find drivers for the onboard BMC graphics from Avago's site.

Drivers.png

Edit: I downloaded this package, installed it and all the exclamation points went away. That's not the one Intel says to use for the board. Intel says to use this one. I also installed some optional Windows driver model updates through Windows update in between so I'm not sure if that also was a contributing factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Awesomesauce

handruin

May 24, 2015
I put together my second system with the E5-2760s and the Intel S2600CP2J and when I press the power button it simply beeps. The code is 1-5-4-4 and from what I found online it's a power control fault (power good assertion timeout) from the power unit - soft power control failure offset. I took the known good PSU out of my other working system and swapped it into this one and it made no difference. Is it a bad motherboard?

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
I got the same unrecognized devices in the device manager. I just ignore it and it affects nothing. It looks like server management / error reporting features. If you run the system as PC/workstation, nothing to worry about.

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
I put together my second system with the E5-2760s and the Intel S2600CP2J and when I press the power button it simply beeps. The code is 1-5-4-4 and from what I found online it's a power control fault (power good assertion timeout) from the power unit - soft power control failure offset. I took the known good PSU out of my other working system and swapped it into this one and it made no difference. Is it a bad motherboard?
Make sure to plug in both 8-pin EPS power connectors. If it still beeps, try to remove CPU2 and only use CPU1 then boot. If it still beeps, looks like you've got a dud motherboard.

Stereodude

Feb 21, 2016
USA
I got the same unrecognized devices in the device manager. I just ignore it and it affects nothing. It looks like server management / error reporting features. If you run the system as PC/workstation, nothing to worry about.
I updated my post with an edit explaining which Intel package I used to get rid of them.