Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hello, this is my first experience with Supermicro everything down to dual PSU, 2U case, crazy slow post time and laggy ass BIOS.

X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD

So question regarding the fans. I don't see any control in the BIOS to change the profile. It sounds like a damn jet engine (CSE 825 w/ San Ace 80 mm).

Will this change once I get a OS installed and control it via IPMI?

Also, I'm most likely gonna be installing 1-2 SSD, any recommendations for 2.5 > 3.5in bay adapter that works well with SM cases?

As this is my first Enterprise equipment, the BIOS is from 2013, should I even worry about updating it "If it ain't broken don't fix it" is something some of you may wanna say.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Fan control is in the IPMI GUI under Configuration, last item.

Yea, boot time is slooooow. But after all, this is a server MB.

Reactions: SavageWS6

handruin

May 24, 2015
@handruin The case you put the offer on is 'F'ixed bays. Hope that's what you wanted.
couple of pages ago, @jwegman has links to Chassis docs from Intel that shows various part#s - Like 16 variants with different drive, PS and Hotswap combinations

Yeah that's fine with me for what I'm trying to accomplish. I only plan to add two maybe three drives into each of these servers and two of those drives will be 2.5" SSDs. If I feel the need to do hotswap later I'll look into buying the module.

handruin

May 24, 2015
Right. However if @handruin proceeds with acquiring those Fixed bay chassis, he could later consider adding the 8x3.5" HSBP bays (they had accepted a $40 offer for one):
Intel FUP8X35HSDK 8x3.5 Hot-Swap Drive Cage Kit New

I did acquire two of the chassis and they both arrived today along with the other parts from the same vendor on eBay located in NH. All the parts looked as if they were new in box and unused as described by the seller. I ordered Monday morning and the boxes just arrive about 9:00AM! The cases are skinnier than I expected but looks decent so far. Maybe down the road if I find it warrants it I'll consider the hotswap bays but for now I don't need them. Thanks for the info though, that's good to know.

One thing I did not realize is the part I ordered for the ducting also includes SAS/SATA (not sure which) cables and some power cables along with the big black duct work.

I have to wait until Monday for the CPU, RAM, and MB from Natex to arrive but it's currently en-route.

Silly question but I noticed the Intel heat sinks has four bolts in it but nothing else included in the box. Does the Intel S2600CP have proper screw holes for this on the board? The picture on Intel's page looks like it but I wasn't 100% sure.

Reactions: Stereodude

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Silly question but I noticed the Intel heat sinks has four bolts in it but nothing else included in the box. Does the Intel S2600CP have proper screw holes for this on the board? The picture on Intel's page looks like it but I wasn't 100% sure.
Yes, the Intel s2600CP2J from natex will have the proper heat sink mounting base for your new Intel 4u passive heatsinks. In fact, the natex boards come with short little 1u (or perhaps they are 2u) heat sinks already affixed to the board using the same mounts.

FYI, the SATA/SAS cables from the both the chassis cable kit and air duct kit are 'reverse breakout' cables. They are intended to be used from the mobo via 4 separate SATA ports to be plugged into a Hotswap SAS backplane (HSBP) via the mini-sas connector. If you don't have an HSBP with mini-sas, then you won't use them.

handruin

May 24, 2015
Yes, the Intel s2600CP2J from natex will have the proper heat sink mounting base for your new Intel 4u passive heatsinks. In fact, the natex boards come with short little 1u (or perhaps they are 2u) heat sinks already affixed to the board using the same mounts.

FYI, the SATA/SAS cables from the both the chassis cable kit and air duct kit are 'reverse breakout' cables. They are intended to be used from the mobo via 4 separate SATA ports to be plugged into a Hotswap SAS backplane (HSBP) via the mini-sas connector. If you don't have an HSBP with mini-sas, then you won't use them.
Just FYI the air duct kit does have the cables you described and it also has four SAS/SATA cables in addition to those. When I first looked in the bag I only saw the blue colored SAS/SATA cables and after digging through it more last night I found the reverse breakout cables you described.

poto

May 18, 2013

handruin

May 24, 2015
Intel AXXRMM4R Remote Management Module Lite Module New Bulk Packaging

UPDATE:

rec'd ipmi kit promptly. Contains unlock hardware key and nic module. Not for those needing dedicated ipmi nic; nic mounting bracket and ribbon cable connector are not included. If you just need remote console and media added, this is the least expensive option available right now.
I believe I saw the nic mounting hardware included with the 4300 series Intel case that I ordered. I don't recall seeing the ribbon cable though but maybe it was in one of the bags. The cable definitely was not included in the package for the AXXRMM4R Lite box. I was surprised that the unlock key was so tiny.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Thanks. It's on my watch list and they have a truck load of them :).

Btw, not sure if you noticed P4216's have a technical advisory on recommended way of plugging the power. Attached the pdf. They also have an excel spreadsheet to estimate the PS requirements. I could not attach it here as it has macros. I got both of those from one of the links you provided earlier
FYI, my P4216 *did* fall within the range of that technical advisory. I called Intel and referenced that TA, then told them that I was in scenario #3 and needed the replacement PDB (power distribution board). The customer support rep then ended the call with 'needing to do research'. Well I received a call back today, and the customer support rep had gotten approval from his Manager to send an Advanced Warranty Replacement for a new PDB.

Reactions: Kb44

Quiks

Feb 17, 2016
Hello, this is my first experience with Supermicro everything down to dual PSU, 2U case, crazy slow post time and laggy ass BIOS.

X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD

So question regarding the fans. I don't see any control in the BIOS to change the profile. It sounds like a damn jet engine (CSE 825 w/ San Ace 80 mm).

Will this change once I get a OS installed and control it via IPMI?

Also, I'm most likely gonna be installing 1-2 SSD, any recommendations for 2.5 > 3.5in bay adapter that works well with SM cases?

As this is my first Enterprise equipment, the BIOS is from 2013, should I even worry about updating it "If it ain't broken don't fix it" is something some of you may wanna say.
Hey, I bought this board from ebay. It came with some cisco modded bios and exhibited the slow lag in the BIOS (I literally saw everything re-draw with each key press). I flashed IPMI to the latest and then BIOS to the latest. The supermicro logo is back and everything is snappy now. It still takes a while to boot into the OS, but that's normal.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
FYI, my P4216 *did* fall within the range of that technical advisory. I called Intel and referenced that TA, then told them that I was in scenario #3 and needed the replacement PDB (power distribution board). The customer support rep then ended the call with 'needing to do research'. Well I received a call back today, and the customer support rep had gotten approval from his Manager to send an Advanced Warranty Replacement for a new PDB.
Good to know.

My P4216 chassis is still in transit. I'll check as soon as I receive it. I quickly skimmed the TA and saved to the folder with the other Intel docs for this build. Didn't realize that there is a scenario which requires PDB replacement.

I've asked for a clarification from the eBay vendor on P4208XXMHGR. Initially they described it as 8 x (2.5 or 3.5) hot swap. Now they have updated it to just 8 x 2.5.
Item# 181091918030. Hope not many folks got that for that flexibility.

jwegman

Mar 6, 2016
Good to know.

My P4216 chassis is still in transit. I'll check as soon as I receive it. I quickly skimmed the TA and saved to the folder with the other Intel docs for this build. Didn't realize that there is a scenario which requires PDB replacement.

I've asked for a clarification from the eBay vendor on P4208XXMHGR. Initially they described it as 8 x (2.5 or 3.5) hot swap. Now they have updated it to just 8 x 2.5.
Item# 181091918030. Hope not many folks got that for that flexibility.
Yeah, scenario #3 that requires the PDB replacement is when you are adding the 3rd 8x2.5 drive cage. The underlying issue is that either of the 2 - 12volt rails from the PDB are unable to sustain the burst load of 2 populated 8x2.5 drive cages. So if you have 2 of the 8x2.5 drive cages on a single rail (as will happen when you add the 3rd 8x2.5 cage), you can encounter the issue.

FYI, per part number P4208XXMHGR; decodes to the P4000M chassis with a 8x2.5" HSBP drive cage with redundant 750watt power supplies, and 2 120mm fixed chassis cooling fans.

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hey, I bought this board from ebay. It came with some cisco modded bios and exhibited the slow lag in the BIOS (I literally saw everything re-draw with each key press). I flashed IPMI to the latest and then BIOS to the latest. The supermicro logo is back and everything is snappy now. It still takes a while to boot into the OS, but that's normal.

Oh damn really? I had the same Cisco BIOS image and was wondering why that was there. The lag in BIOS was bad with the keyboard trying to set it up.

What was your procedure to flash IPMI and BIOS? I don't have any boot drives in it yet. Its barebone ATM but I got many flash drives available. I noticed all the devices it initializes so I understand why boot is slower than say my normal desktop with "fast boot" and 3 missing features this board has.

Also one other thing, The two white SATA are the SATA 6G correct? Wanna make sure my 2x SSD will be routing through there and the mech drives are fine on 3G

Stuck playing The Division and grind mode ATM and haven't touched the server in two days. Priorities ATM. :p

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
OK, so who's ready to laugh/mock me...OMG I really feel like a silly bastard/asshat for this. You know that X9SRL-F mobo issue I've been having w/ newegg...turns out I am a complete dumbass apparently and did not notice an extra mobo standoff that was causing a short under the DIMM C1 slot on my frankenzombie Supermicro CSE216/SC216. SMFH, I'm going to the corner to wear my dunce cap now, what a tard monkey.

Guess it takes a real man to confess and own up to his flaws (and let you all laugh at me/poke fun)...I am seriously ashamed it took me two mobo's to sort that out, hurry whoever get's the open box newegg X9SRL-F it's a good one! LOL, feeling guilty now that I shamed newegg so bad but screw them still, their cust service is pure GARBAGE and I did have one bad mobo from them for sure in my other Norco chassis that was resolved by them sending a replacement so we're even I suppose.

Credit goes to the gent who suggested a 'short' over in the freenas forums here that caused me to rip apart and take a damn good close look assisting in me eventually removing my head from arse :-(

All three nodes back up, ohh how I've missed you vSAN!

Supermicro X9SRL-F & 846 chassis issue | FreeNAS Community

Last edited:

PnoT

Mar 1, 2015
Texas
Has anyone used a GigaByte GA-7PESH2? I can get one for $225 which is only $50 more than the S2600CP but that includes a dedicated IPMI, 1866 RAM for v2 chips, on-board SAS 6GB, and dual 10GB Base-T NICs. Thoughts?

SavageWS6

Feb 2, 2016
Pennsylvania
Got BMC/IPMI updated & BIOS on the Supermicro board and the Cisco image is gone. BIOS doesn't lag and completes post a bit quicker which is a plus.

Noticed now in IPMI I lost PS1 stats although I still have PS2 stats. I should've just stuck with Supermicros warning "Don't update the firmware if there isn't any prevalent issues"

Bad habits die hard