Possible Cheap SuperMicro Rails

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
$100 shipping even in the US! I almost want to report this auction. They're just moving cost from the item value to the shipping part to lower ebay fees.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
$100 shipping even in the US! I almost want to report this auction. They're just moving cost from the item value to the shipping part to lower ebay fees.
Ebay caught on to that a while ago. Not too sure why anyone would do that now days???

(From ebay)

Final value fees
After a buyer commits to purchase an item, you're charged a final value fee. If a listing ends without a sale (not including any successful Second Chance Offers) you don't pay a final value fee. Final value fees are calculated based on the total amount of the sale and are charged per item.

The total amount of the sale is the final price of the item, shipping charges, and any other amounts you may charge the buyer. Sales tax is not included.
Final value fees on shipping
Final values fees on shipping charges are calculated using the shipping service the buyer chooses.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It still scams the taxman if sales tax is applicable, and might be an income tax play if they "claim" the shipping is offset by costs.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
FYI - I've contacted the seller to inquire about cheaper shipping, and their response was that they can ship me 2 sets of rails for $60 shipping cost, not the $400 that the ebay checkout procedure auto-calculates for me. Does seem like they are trying to scam a bit around taxes or something - but I don't care how they break down the cost, only what the total price comes to, and that makes it $100 USD for 2 sets of rails shipped, which is back into pretty good deal territory imho.

Also did a tiny bit more googling around about compatibility, and discovered that the SnapServer 2000 models referenced in the ebay listing are built on CSE-826 chassis, so thats enough to convince me they should be compatible with most SM boxes, at least the ones I have at home.

izx

Jan 17, 2016
Does seem like they are trying to scam a bit around taxes or something - but I don't care how they break down the cost, only what the total price comes to, and that makes it $100 USD for 2 sets of rails shipped, which is back into pretty good deal territory imho.
I think whoever listed still doesn't know about the eBay loophole being closed. I doubt most of their prospective buyers are in-state (AZ).

Will these work on an 846? Full pull out.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
These do look like they would work on an 846 and even the 836, 826. All of my rails have the yellow label. Got a set of rails once with a light blue label; they were too short.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
FYI - They've updated the e-bay listing. Shipping to Canada now shows as $55, hopefully it is significantly reduced for others as well. It's still not as low as they quoted me when I contacted them (ebay checkout won't give you much shipping discount for quantity >1), but is improving. So I've got two sets expected here on Mar. 1, I'll update this with the results of trying to use them on a SC-846 (see if they pull fully out or not), as well as my SC-827H.

Even if they don't pull all the way out, it'll sure be nice to not have them all just stacked on top of other things.

bug2th

Jan 7, 2015
I picked a pair and they are the RevB (has tabs) - fit my 846 and it pulls all the way out

FYI - They've updated the e-bay listing. Shipping to Canada now shows as $55, hopefully it is significantly reduced for others as well. It's still not as low as they quoted me when I contacted them (ebay checkout won't give you much shipping discount for quantity >1), but is improving. So I've got two sets expected here on Mar. 1, I'll update this with the results of trying to use them on a SC-846 (see if they pull fully out or not), as well as my SC-827H.

Even if they don't pull all the way out, it'll sure be nice to not have them all just stacked on top of other things.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
make 2 pairs with total price $68. pretty good deal. Had been search for almost 2 months for good price..

Thnx Tuxdude

canta

Nov 26, 2014
stack-up was my thought to save $..
This was Pain in the B..when need to do clean-up, change something, or other things

rails is a must :)

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
nice, i just ordered 3 for my two 825 and one 826 that came without rails.

Shipping to Germany was now 75.85 USD for the whole lot, what makes a reasonable total.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Mine arrived yesterday, so I spent the evening tearing apart my rack and re-mounting stuff. They snapped on to my SC-827H chassis and slid that back into the rack like they were made for it, which they kinda were. Less success with the SC-846 though - apparently I have an older revision of the chassis that needs an older rail kit. It's hard to even find information saying which rail kit I need (I've found two different model numbers, either might be right), let alone finding someone selling them - so for now the 846 is still in the rack but not mounted to it at all. I can at least say that these rails are long enough that the 846 would have pulled all the way out of the rack if it had fit. Even the SC-827 pulls almost all the way out and its about 2" longer - but its top cover doesn't go all the way to the back so it is serviceable with these rails.

For the exact details of how these rails don't fit my 846, I found a short discussion about it in this thread:Are You Looking For A Less Expensive Norco 4220 / 4224 Alternative? - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews Just scroll down till you see the images of the side of a SC-846, a post by 'AVTechMan'. Like his pictures show I need a rail kit that is far thicker than these 2U rails. That thread says the rail kit I really need is MCP-290-00014-00, but there is not even a single one of those listed on ebay for any price. There are also these two SuperMicro FAQ's which say that is the correct model of rail: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - FAQ Entry Super Micro Computer, Inc. - FAQ Entry and one other FAQ that contradicts them, saying that the 00014 model is for the 3U SC836 and that MCP-290-00001-00 is what I need for the 846: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - FAQ Entry That model does at least have a single listing on ebay, but at a price that I wouldn't pay - and the only picture is of a box so I have no idea if it would actually fit/work or not.

So if anyone has a set of rails that will fit a older generation 846, and you would like to sell them to a forum member for cheap but fair price, PM me.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Did you ever find the correct rails for the wider height hooks? Most of my 846 chassis are the standard hooks that most of us have. I did acquire two chassis a few months ago and when they arrived they had the different "hooks" like you referenced. They did come with the really crappy stock rails that are garbage. So looking for an alternative as well. If I can't fine one, I'll salvage the fans, power supply's, PDU, backplane, wiring and drive caddy's and scrap the chassis. Too bad cause it looks virtually brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Nope - mine is currently using an old DL380 G3 as a 2U rack-mount sliding shelf.

Reactions: canta

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Nope - mine is currently using an old DL380 G3 as a 2U rack-mount sliding shelf.
very good point to reuse as a sliding tray :D

I have old 846 with wide rails model. finding wide rails is useless due on very expensive... and hard to find

Jepong

Nov 2, 2017
Has anyone tried fitting MCP-290-00001-00 on their old revision 846? Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.