Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Do a network IP scan?
Check the device assigning the IP?

djflow195

Jan 1, 2016
"show network" if on a regular port
"show serviceport" if on the management port

regular port:
network protocol none | dhcp
network parms [IP] [SUBNET] [GW]

management port:
serviceport protocol none | dhcp
serviceport ip [IP] [SUBNET] [GW]

Last edited:

cpfarhood

Jan 31, 2015
Is the airflow on this switch front to back? side to side? Can someone confirm the physical dimensions? Trying to decide if this can go in a wall mounted 2-post rack or if it's designed for a cabinet.

J Hart

Apr 23, 2015
Airflow is front to back, its 19" rack 1U and 15.5" deep, but you'll have to add a bit more in both the front and back for the power cords(back) and the SFP+s and DAC/Fiber bend radius in front.

Aug 2, 2015
Received 2 units of LB6M today, both had a yellow label stating Firmware Version 1.0.0.13 but it is indeed running 1.2.014 with a backup firmware of 1.0.0.17 instead of 1.0.0.13

Anyone tried the Netgear M6100 firmware to see if it could work with LB6M?

Last edited:

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
Received 2 units of LB6M today, both had a yellow label stating Firmware Version 1.0.0.13 but it is indeed running 1.2.014 with a backup firmware of 1.0.0.17 instead of 1.0.0.13

Anyone tried the Netgear M6100 firmware to see if it could work with LB6M?
I'd be nervous about the M6100 firmware. That's a whole chassis system, I'd expect there to be significant hardware differences.

Aug 2, 2015
Could you please upload the image of v1.0.0.17 somewhere? That seems to be a unknown version...
I'll try it again soon, I tried earlier to copy out via tftp and it couldn't connect, and via scp it ran right into a forced reboot of the switch :(

Aug 2, 2015
I'd be nervous about the M6100 firmware. That's a whole chassis system, I'd expect there to be significant hardware differences.
I tried sideloading it via tftpboot but it won't work. Adding as a backup image resulted it not being accepted anyway.

Oh well, I really wanted MLAG or VPC feature instead of any kind of L3 routing for this switch!

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I tried sideloading it via tftpboot but it won't work. Adding as a backup image resulted it not being accepted anyway.

Oh well, I really wanted MLAG or VPC feature instead of any kind of L3 routing for this switch!
So this switch does L3 routing?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Anyone managed to source for rack ears for this switch LB6M or LB4M?
I tried calling a few vendors earlier on ebay who are selling LB4Ms, none have any spare ears to sell. It'd be nice if anyone here could see if these work with other network rack ears.

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
There is no GUI in the software loads people here have seen. CLI only.

VLAN is working on mine (in a fairly complex layer-2 only config). LAG/LACP works too.

Also got IGMP snooping and IGMP responder working for v4 broadcast support. Needed this to support Proxmox since it's clustering depends on broadcast.

Spanning tree appears to be fubar. I turned it off rather than try to fugure it out. That's ok in a small home network but I would not want to run without it in any 'real' data center.
Any more progress on STP? I've started mucking, and switch to switch seems ok....

-D

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I got my LB6M today. It included rack ears, thank god. The description says doesn't include rack ears but the seller has gone back and forth between saying "yes if you need ears just request in note on purchase" and "we ran out, will check if we get any and mail them to you". Well in my message to the seller I said please include rack ears if you have them. And tada! Got them.

This thing is ridiculously loud though, it's louder than my infiniband switch. Are there any quiet fans that can be swapped out on the fan module and/or are the fans on these supposed to drop to a lower speed after it's been powered on for a while? I don't seem to experience that behavior. It just kicks on and they run at the same speed from boot(which sounds pretty high) until I turn it off.

Last edited: