12 and 16 core Intel Xeon D are the official TDPs 45W?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Officially, the 12 and 16 core Xeon D chips are not launched yet. We will have information on these as soon as we can release it. I will say that if you look to the current set of 45w and 35w TDP chips, it seems as though going from 4 cores to 8 cores did yield some increase in TDP for the newest generation D-1518 to D-1541 chips.

Reactions: William

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
That's what I was thinking too. How can you go from 8>16 cores and not double or close to double the TDP unless you make them 1GHz parts or something people wouldn't want.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
TDP wouldnt necessarily double since not all core logic is doubled, and a bump to 55w at 16 cores wouldnt be the worst if it kept the clock rate at 2+ghz) I haven't seen a die photo to break down how much space is used for I/O but core M (which is a 4.5w tdp) used a good portion for non cpu things, this photo could probably be used to get a good estimate on what a xeon-d die looks like or at least to help identify what's what on one(does someone have a die photo?)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Core M is a bit different architecture. I do know the answer just need to wait a bit to disclose.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
TDP wouldnt necessarily double since not all core logic is doubled, and a bump to 55w at 16 cores wouldnt be the worst if it kept the clock rate at 2+ghz) I haven't seen a die photo to break down how much space is used for I/O but core M (which is a 4.5w tdp) used a good portion for non cpu things, this photo could probably be used to get a good estimate on what a xeon-d die looks like or at least to help identify what's what on one(does someone have a die photo?)
Well, forget about graphics, so it's just the right hand side. You'll amortize a few things (storage & network controllers, etc) across more cores, but the biggest part of the chip will get doubled (cores & cache).

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Well, forget about graphics, so it's just the right hand side. You'll amortize a few things (storage & network controllers, etc) across more cores, but the biggest part of the chip will get doubled (cores & cache).
Are we sure that those are the biggest part of the chip? the x540-T2 has a 13.3 watt TDP on it's own granted that's on a 40nm lithography not 14nm but I'd be suprised if a big part of Xeon-D isn't those ethernet controllers in addition to the integrated PCH being normally a 6watt part of it's own, especially on the smaller(quad core) Xeon-D parts I'd be suprised if the TDP wasn't more feature than core driven

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
65W isn't bad if it's still 2+ghz also that board with that many SAS ports in an ITX formfactor would be fantastic, I don't need 2x pcie when everything i could ask for is built in XD

Owen

Feb 15, 2016
Any chance of getting one in for a review Patrick? I am sure everyone would like to see it ;)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Intel is reading 16-core Xeon D-1571 processor for microservers

If that list is accurate at all the 1571 is going to be 45w@1.3ghz(no turbo listed probably the same spread we've seen on others though so 1.7 to 1.9ghz max)
Guys, I had this all written last week. There is going to be a lot of content when I get the go-ahead.

One area that I do not have full details on, but want to set expectations around, is that I believe that $1220+ figure for the D-1571 from Intel's price list is going to be accurate. At higher clock speeds a 16 core Broadwell DE may have the power to make people thinking about 128GB 16 core servers take pause.

Believe me, I spent most of last week rushing through writing this stuff and have been running regressions all weekend remotely.

Reactions: T_Minus