4x 960GB Samsung PM853T - $1099 OBO - many avail

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Ha! I have basically done the same.
Nice!

My other recent change was to swap out the old 22" Apple monitor for a.... 43" 4K monitor. DEFINITELY the way to go. The new monitor seemed freakishly large at first, but then after a few days I started to wonder how I ever lived with less screen real estate. Being a TV, latency is a bit higher than is optimum, but it's just fine for normal use, especially after switching the screen to "game" mode. BTW: The 43" was only $429 on eBay as a refurb.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Nice!

My other recent change was to swap out the old 22" Apple monitor for a.... 43" 4K monitor. DEFINITELY the way to go. The new monitor seemed freakishly large at first, but then after a few days I started to wonder how I ever lived with less screen real estate. Being a TV, latency is a bit higher than is optimum, but it's just fine for normal use, especially after switching the screen to "game" mode. BTW: The 43" was only $429 on eBay as a refurb.
Wow! I had a very similar discussion yesterday with the wife at Blue Line in Mountain View. "Hey what if I swapped out the two HP ZR30w's for a new 43" monitor... it would probably save power."

What brand did you get?

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Any concerns about these using 1st gen Samsung TLC NAND? The same NAND that had the static data slow-read problem on 840 EVO drives that required a 'band-aid' firmware to constantly refresh the cells... If you're constantly churning data it should be fine, but if you are really using these to archive things like ISOs I would be more than slightly concerned.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Wow! I had a very similar discussion yesterday with the wife at Blue Line in Mountain View. "Hey what if I swapped out the two HP ZR30w's for a new 43" monitor... it would probably save power."

What brand did you get?
I picked up a Vizio M43-C1. If I had known that latency can be an issue when using a TV as a monitor, I might have run some tests on a number of different 4K TVs before making a final choice, but I chose the Vizio based entirely on looks and price. As for the latency, with "game mode" enabled, the Vizio is working just fine, and I ended up buying these for the entire SF office.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Any concerns about these using 1st gen Samsung TLC NAND? The same NAND that had the static data slow-read problem on 840 EVO drives that required a 'band-aid' firmware to constantly refresh the cells... If you're constantly churning data it should be fine, but if you are really using these to archive things like ISOs I would be more than slightly concerned.
I have not seen this at all and have had the PM853T's installed for some time.

@dba good to know! I may try game mode. At around $500 those are pretty affordable.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I run 3 1680x1050 in portrait and have been thinking about going 4k. Still not sure but really want more screen space.
What size screen were you looking at 32" and Up.., was looking at 28" and decided would need to add binoculars to my spectacles..

TechIsCool

Feb 8, 2012
Clinton, WA
techiscool.com
What size screen were you looking at 32" and Up.., was looking at 28" and decided would need to add binoculars to my spectacles..
If money was not an objective I would most likely stay just under 4k at 2560 x 1440 @ 27" and go with either the PG279Q or XB271HU but then I would need 3 of them and well they cost $800 per monitor. If money was an objective I most likely would go dell P2715Q in the 27" range. They can be had for about 430$ if you do rebates right

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
To help derail some more: @dba From what I read the M43 is only 4:2:2, how does text look on it? I was thinking of doing the same as you when I saw the refurb deal until I read that. With 1080p TVs it might have mattered more than with 4x the pixel density of 4k.