Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Geez, I wonder what the bottom on these is. I bought two when they were at ~170 thinking they couldn't possibly go that much lower.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Shoot I know the feeling 3x here @ $90, then one more last week @ $70...good hell these have GOT to be drying up or bottoming out soon.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
My saga continues ... second CPU, tried with three different motherboards, two PSUs, too many different sets of memory to recount. Same issue - POST hangs at B7 when memory is installed in slots DIMMC1 and DIMMC2. If I pull the memory from those slots everything is fine.

Attempting to send CPU back for a refund, especially since I paid $108 for mine and they are now down to $65. If they refuse or I can't fix it I guess I can always just keep it and deal with less memory.

This is one of the most frustrating builds I have ever experienced.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
man you hit the motherload for crappy builds here. I bought two chips from the first vendor that came up on google, and bought an often not recommended motherboard (see non supermicro) from intel and have had no issues.

That totally sucks dude.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Now this is interesting - this latest board will boot and recognize all of the memory if I clear CMOS ... but after the initial boot/CMOS save it goes back to getting stuck with/at B7. Weird.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Now this is interesting - this latest board will boot and recognize all of the memory if I clear CMOS ... but after the initial boot/CMOS save it goes back to getting stuck with/at B7. Weird.
Contact SuperMicro with that exact info and see what they say.

FunkyRider83

Jan 31, 2016
Seems SuperMicro boards give lots of trouble, I've got an Intel S2600CP4 board and the system lights right up in the first try and has been running trouble free.

RobertFontaine

Dec 17, 2015
Winterpeg, Canuckistan
I think the problem is more a caveat emptor thing. Buying from reputable reseller who actually have the ability to test the boards is a lesson learned here. The lga2011 boards for the 2760's have been scarce so getting a good configuration at a good price has meant scraping the bottom of the barrels. Workstation boards are not going to come out of datacentres so until V3's start getting affordable these boards are going to continue to carry a premium. It should be a lot easier to buy an unmolested server board but they seem to be scarce too.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Seems SuperMicro boards give lots of trouble, I've got an Intel S2600CP4 board and the system lights right up in the first try and has been running trouble free.
I'm going to have to strongly disagree here.

When 90%+ of the boards are the same brand and people are buying from the same sellers it only makes sense that the majority of the issues are with the same hardware ;) manufacturer not specifically a problem with the manuf. itself.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I see Deep Discount Servers selling E5-2670 SROKX for $65.
Several listings to suit Dells, HPs etc. ( imagine these are same CPUs?)

Gosh, at $65 they are cheaper than many L5640 advertised on EBay!!!

Maybe I should invest in a couple for a future build. Maybe the motherboard problems will sort themselves out.

Anyone recommend a seller and CPU model to go for?
As an overseas buyer I'd hate to be lumped with bent pins or damaged CPUs)
(The V3 is much more expensive at around $400)

Would 115 watt TPD be a problem to cool in a 3U case?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I just got the 5 replacement boards from comp-tec, 3 had bent/mangled pins. 2 were good..but they still blow ass at shipping, the chassis intrustion and first 2 pins of the FPIO header were horribly bent, some even had bent serial and VGA output, the boards are flopping all around in the damn boxes and they use terrible bubble wrap for mobos. I have like a grand tied up in these so I think I"m just going to get a refund at this point.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I just got the 5 replacement boards from comp-tec, 3 had bent/mangled pins. 2 were good..but they still blow ass at shipping, the chassis intrustion and first 2 pins of the FPIO header were horribly bent, some even had bent serial and VGA output, the boards are flopping all around in the damn boxes and they use terrible bubble wrap for mobos. I have like a grand tied up in these so I think I"m just going to get a refund at this point.
Sorry to hear, it must be terribly frustrating and costly for you.
Are they using USPS or a decent courier service like DHL or TNT?

Maybe you should take pictures of packaging for reference.
USPS and similar services can be terrible with freight handling, seem not to care or throw boxes about the place. I've had damaged stuff before.

Definitely need snug packaging, lots of bubble wrap and I've resorted to double boxing with bubble wrap in-between for long distance freight.

Must be terribly expensive for supplier to handle returns and cost of damaged goods.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
That's crazy @frogtech it's not like adding 2-3 more wraps cost them anything significant to not deal with this!

Maybe ask SM if they will fix the pins and ask the seller for a refund stating how much $$$ it cost to do the repair/ship/time etc... they likely will give you 50% off vs. paying to return boards they can't sell, may be worth your time to see.

FozzieBear

Aug 24, 2015
Seriously? After JUST having returns for crappy packaging, they turn around and do it again?! Guess I have a seller to add to my blacklist.