19v to Sata power

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
anybody have any hints in regards to the best way to get 19v to Sata power ?

I know I could use a pick-psu but it's only the Sata I am looking for to drive drives and the 19v otherwise will just drive the NUC.

Wanting to see if I can get an NUC to become a small storage server (probably just Ssd and an 6+ TB 3.5" hdd)
N2820 version does done with 12v adapter... And msata that I can add a 2port adapter to get 3 disks instead of 2... It's and option.

canta

Nov 26, 2014
dc to dc buck down converter with molex to sata connector :D. if you are DIY person, this can be not hard to do.
I am worried on how many amps the powerbrick can provide constantly.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
dc to dc buck down converter with molex to sata connector :D. if you are DIY person, this can be not hard to do.
I am worried on how many amps the powerbrick can provide constantly.
Thanks, was wondering if anybody could recommend a specific one ?
By DIY I can use a multimeter and soldering iron and I don't expect I need much more to manage this task if I can get the buck from a shop.

Power brick of 65w should be fine but easy enough to get bigger ones if needed.

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
As I understand it, SATA power is 3.3V, 5V and 12V you're going to need a fairly fancy multi-rail DC-DC converter or multiple converters in parallel to do this from a 19V rail

canta

Nov 26, 2014
As I understand it, SATA power is 3.3V, 5V and 12V you're going to need a fairly fancy multi-rail DC-DC converter or multiple converters in parallel to do this from a 19V rail
if you using many available molex to sata power connector, you do not worry to supply 3.3V since the sata connector (there is a simple circuit or passive circuit to convert 5V to 3.3V) has already included inside plastic housing :D

simple way is to buy molex to sata connector, only one warning,, get a good one or would catch fire. I avoid to buy cheap one from chinese seller on ebay. I 99.99%' buying from newegg..
get one molex to 2 sata connectors

canta

Nov 26, 2014
Thanks, was wondering if anybody could recommend a specific one ?
By DIY I can use a multimeter and soldering iron and I don't expect I need much more to manage this task if I can get the buck from a shop.

Power brick of 65w should be fine but easy enough to get bigger ones if needed.
good and cheap way is using MP1584EN buck down converter :D.

Mini 3A DC-DC Adjustable Converter Step down Power Supply Module replace LM2596 <-- this the cheapest one on ebay that has MP1584EN (1.5MHz) -> datasheet link http://www.haoyuelectronics.com/Attachment/MP1584/MP1584.pdf .

upload_2016-2-1_10-56-43.png

there are a better one with more $, many selling cheap but is not real good (aka clone chip from china hehe), In china they can make clone/fake everything). be carefull on buying on ebay.
cheap one has low PWM frequency that generate terrible ripple on DC out.

MP1584EN is not very good , buat is OK, since 1MHz( PWM basically better then clone one that has only KHz
* ebay chinese module says 1MHz.. the spec say 1.5MHz.. you know what I implies... :p

As precaution on ebay cheap stuff. this say 3A max, rule of thumb is reducing to 50% capacity since cheap chinese modules always cut cost with active/passive supported parts.

To support 1.5A continuous power total you need to module.
one module converts from 7V-19V to 5V, the other module converts to 15-19V to 12V..
I assume max is 19V from you posting.

upload_2016-2-1_11-9-13.png
simple diagram

Reactions: Evan

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Thanks @canta that's the nice small type of step down I was looking for.
The NUC has already a 3.3/5v supply available that would be used for 2.5" drives so I was thinking to use that and just needed 12v

Starting to second guess myself if it's worth the effort. 3.5" external usb is much easier for bulk storage I guess. Will go shopping on the weekend to see what cases etc I can find.